Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] All Change For Leicester

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don't think we will see that many changes, other than tactical changes (or injuries). With the luxury of a week until the game against Man Utd I don't think he will be looking to rest anyone. The games come thick and fast after that so I imagine he'll consider fatigue a lot more when we get into the run of weekend/midweek matches in July.

That said this is Potter and trying to second guess what he's going to actually do is impossible.

Is there an amnesty for yellow cards or is Dunk on a tightrope till the end of the season?

The cut off for 10 yellow cards is after the 32nd game of the season, so Dunk is on that tightrope for 2 more games. After that 15 yellows before the end of the season will result in a 3 game ban (which I believe is carried over into next season if there is less than 3 games left of this season when the suspension kicks in).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is there an amnesty for yellow cards or is Dunk on a tightrope till the end of the season?

He has been quite adept at managing himself with suspensions over the past couple of seasons.
Suspect we will be ok unless there is a need for the most professional of fouls.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Isn't Burn suspended? If not, I'd agree with your back three - if he is suspended:
————————Ryan————————
———Webster—Duffy-----Dunk

Agree Lamptey and Bernardo at wing back, but centre midfield:
Lamptey—-----------------------------------—Bernardo
Stephens-----------------Alzate​

——————Mac Allister———————
———-Maupay————Connolly———-[/

Should probably play our midfielders a little more central.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think the following defence and midfield will be rotated that much, at least from the start. Except Right Back where the spot is there to be played for.

So I think in most games we will see (from the start)

Ryan
Schelloto Webster Dunk Burn
Bissouma Propper Mooy

Then I think there will be a lot of perming the front options. Maupay is the only one who can be confident of starting more games than he doesn't.

The other two spots will be hotly contested and in order of game time I think it will go

Trossard, March, Gross, MacAllister, Ali J, Connolly, Murray.

I don't think we'll see loads of Alzate, Murray or Bernardo for the rest of the season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed, really wouldn't be the end of days if we lost at Leicester and Dunky had a game off.

I disagree. A point at Leicester will be huge, especially if the bottom clubs lose as it will mean they will need at least 3 games out of 7 remaining to even think about overhauling us.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Given the vital three points yesterday has given us a bit of breathing space and I don't think many of us would be expecting to come back with anything from Leicester I'd like to see a bit of experimenting.

Could be worth Duffy coming in to protect Dunk from that next yellow, so we ensure he's available for more winnable games. Perhaps a back three of Webster, Duffy and Burn.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with Bernardo, who failed to make the squad yesterday, I'd like to see him in a wing back role with Lamptey given his first start on the other side. Could be a baptism of fire for the lad, but I think I'd rather give him a run in a game we're expected to lose than in a must win match like Norwich.

I'd keep Bissouma because he doesn't deserve to be dropped and I'd like to see what he's like alongside Stephens, with Lexi Mac in front doing the Gross role. Mooy was ineffective yesterday and as much as I love Pröpper I would just like to see how Stephens and Bissouma get on together. Correct me if I'm wrong but they've not started together this season so I'm keen to see what that's like. We also need to get Stephens some action.

Trossard had flashes yesterday but it still feels like he's an off the bench player, so I'm looking at two strikers, Murray and Maupay. Then you can bring on Connolly to run at them once Murray's run out of (admittedly limited) steam. I'd also expect Trossard and Pröpper to come on, possibly with Montoya or el Galgo at some point too, shifting the defence up depending on how well it has coped with Vardy, Maddison and Barnes.

I know it's a cliche but this really is a free hit for us, so let's mix things up and surprise them. With the games coming thick and fast we're going to have to make use of our squad so let's give something new a crack

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
They’ve been dropping hints about Alzate for a while. He had an operation so need to be careful with his return etc etc

I thought Alzate's operation was cancelled due to Covid-19? And that was why they were managing him carefully.

edit: Sorry should have read it bit further down the page.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought Alzate's operation was cancelled due to Covid-19? And that was why they were managing him carefully.

edit: Sorry should have read it bit further down the page.

Yep my bad

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Given the vital three points yesterday has given us a bit of breathing space and I don't think many of us would be expecting to come back with anything from Leicester I'd like to see a bit of experimenting.

Could be worth Duffy coming in to protect Dunk from that next yellow, so we ensure he's available for more winnable games. Perhaps a back three of Webster, Duffy and Burn.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with Bernardo, who failed to make the squad yesterday, I'd like to see him in a wing back role with Lamptey given his first start on the other side. Could be a baptism of fire for the lad, but I think I'd rather give him a run in a game we're expected to lose than in a must win match like Norwich.

I'd keep Bissouma because he doesn't deserve to be dropped and I'd like to see what he's like alongside Stephens, with Lexi Mac in front doing the Gross role. Mooy was ineffective yesterday and as much as I love Pröpper I would just like to see how Stephens and Bissouma get on together. Correct me if I'm wrong but they've not started together this season so I'm keen to see what that's like. We also need to get Stephens some action.

Trossard had flashes yesterday but it still feels like he's an off the bench player, so I'm looking at two strikers, Murray and Maupay. Then you can bring on Connolly to run at them once Murray's run out of (admittedly limited) steam. I'd also expect Trossard and Pröpper to come on, possibly with Montoya or el Galgo at some point too, shifting the defence up depending on how well it has coped with Vardy, Maddison and Barnes.

I know it's a cliche but this really is a free hit for us, so let's mix things up and surprise them. With the games coming thick and fast we're going to have to make use of our squad so let's give something new a crack

I don't like this attitude at all. I believe if we treat it as a free hit we'll come away with nothing.

We have momentum and we can win this game. No further matches for 7 days after. Agree with you that we can anticipate a change or two. But the reason being we have different opponents at a different ground and the selection margins for at least 4 out of 11 positions are wafer thin.

If we win this game, we'll be more than 50-1 to go down. Potter will go all out to win, and he's correct to do so.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't like this attitude at all. I believe if we treat it as a free hit we'll come away with nothing.

We have momentum and we can win this game. No further matches for 7 days after. Agree with you that we can anticipate a change or two. But the reason being we have different opponents at a different ground and the selection margins for at least 4 out of 11 positions are wafer thin.

If we win this game, we'll be more than 50-1 to go down. Potter will go all out to win, and he's correct to do so.

I admire your optimism but we don't have a great record against Leicester. As great as yesterday was we were far from our best and quite fortunate to come away with all 3 points. Leicester are a far better team than Arsenal so I don't see us getting away with it there, unless we really surprise them with something quite different.

Besides, the starting XI yesterday didn't beat Arsenal. It took the involvement of Alexis Mac and Connolly, which suggests we could do with a different lineup to start on Tuesday

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I admire your optimism but we don't have a great record against Leicester. As great as yesterday was we were far from our best and quite fortunate to come away with all 3 points. Leicester are a far better team than Arsenal so I don't see us getting away with it there, unless we really surprise them with something quite different.

Besides, the starting XI yesterday didn't beat Arsenal. It took the involvement of Alexis Mac and Connolly, which suggests we could do with a different lineup to start on Tuesday
Indeed. Arsenals away record is 14 points from 15 games. Leicesters home record is 30 points from 15 games.

Even man city have only got 32 points at home this season.

So next game is one of the hardest of the season.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It is a winnable game, but not by going all out attack with two or more up front, or playing a slow and steady set of defenders. Leicester do play high up the pitch, so I'd expect to see Maupay being tasked with sprinting after a few that have been put in the final third as we play a counterattacking type of game. Problem with that is mini schmeichel plays as a sweeper keeper......but luckily these sorts of problems aren't mine to sort out!
Formation will be 4-2-3-1 or not:shrug:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’d be tempted to play Lamptey....... Leicester have pace all over the pitch and it’s one thing we just don’t have.

My fear is although our other 2 options are more experienced they will just be out run by Harvey Barnes.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Leicester are REALLY good, especially at home. Only Man City, Liverpool and Stains (who were desperate for revenge after their 9-0 drubbing at St Mary's) have won there all season.

There's always a chance but yesterday was a more winnable game for us, and we've only just scraped the 3 points. I just think being realistic we shouldn't be expecting anything from this game

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Murray is definitely going to play. He will never try this but...

Ryan

Montoya
Burn
Dunk
Webster
Bernardo

Bissouma
Stephens
Mac

Murray
Maupay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk