[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He's probably still here because nobody else wants him. I dunno what sort of wages he's on, but having been a record signing he's probably on a fair old wedge. We might want shot, but someone else has to want to pick him up too.

Really want him to score a hatrick and sell him to Man United or Newcastle!?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think that's entirely true as a number of Dutch Clubs were interested in taking him on loan at the beginning of the season. I'm sure I read from The Argus that Ali J turned down those opportunities as he wanted to fight for his place here, so good on him for wanting to do that.

However come Jan he may change his mind and go Dutch again.

I don't recall hearing of any interest in him during the summer, but i must admit I don't exactly keep my ear to the ground when all the transfer speculation bobbins is in full flow, so I could easily have missed it.

Having binned off the DJ and the loon, and with Trossard and Solly subsequently crocked we're not exactly blessed with forward options. I wouldn't be surprised if Ali was kept on primarily so we'd still have enough bodies to put on the field, in the HOPE he'd come good and contribute. As useless as he's been so far, we'd have been dangerously thin on the ground to have released him as well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We buy quite young players on long term deals to protect any sell on clause.

The problem is, what do you do when they don't work out?

Assuming he doesn't come good (and now Trossard and March are on the way back and Alzate and Connolly have come through it's increasingly unlikely), the next best option is to get him off the books.

But there are two problems

First wages. Is he prepared to take a massive hit on his salary, probably £50k p/w down to £25 in a different European league?
Second transfer fee. Are we prepared to write off the whole £17m? Should we be prepared to do this? How much would PSV or someone be able to pay us, 2 or 3m?

With Andone, Locadia and Knocky we've gone for the approach of loaning out for a year, presumably with a view to getting them in the shop window. Fair enough and the players are happy because they're still getting their full wages, but really we're only putting the problem off until the summer. It's still going to be very hard to find a club that will give us a fraction of what we paid who will also give the players their current wages.

This is why I think the most likely scenario is that all Ali J, Knocky, Locadia and Andone are back with us next summer, we don't manage to sell them and they aren't prepared to take the pay cut to move on. We then continue to heavily subsidise their wages on loan to various clubs until their contracts end. It's a bad situation for us, but part of the risk you take when you buy a prospect and give them a long term contract

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Spurs dodged a bullet, on Saturday.

They're so shite we didn't even need to unleash The Persian Playmaker.

I’m surprised he made the bench as Potter went 4-2-2-2 with essentially, no wingers, wing-backs or inside forwards (which are the three positions he’d been touted as playing)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I noticed at the end of the game he smiled and congratulated Aaron Connolly on his great performance. I know it’s a small thing but knowing that he has had no game time, he still had the decency to congratulate. Hope if he gets an opportunity he takes it and it explains why he is still here and Locadia and Andone are hopefully history.

I posted this on the Southampton Carabao Cup thread last season:-

Loving the way Ali J is in deep conversation with Will Collar as they walk off after the warm-up here, and gives him an encouraging tap on the back as they head into the tunnel. A superstar in his own country, and only a month or so on from appearing in the World Cup, but he seems to be as far from a Billy Big-Bollocks as you could hope to find:-

[TWEET]1034508995732664320[/TWEET]

Whatever your thoughts on his on-field production (or lack of it), I don't think anyone could accuse him of being anything other than a stand-up guy. And he does seem to have a genuine, altruistic concern for Aaron Connolly (this was after Connolly scored for the U-23s against Arsenal in August 2018):-

AliJAaron.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Let’s wait for him to hve his chance under Potter before we write him off eh....

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
He's probably still here because nobody else wants him. I dunno what sort of wages he's on, but having been a record signing he's probably on a fair old wedge. We might want shot, but someone else has to want to pick him up too.

On the positive side he's now only got 3 & a half years to go.
Given the level of his ability he'll probably be on a better wedge than any players at a club he is loaned to. That'll piss them off and they probably won't pass the ball to him. He's become the proverbial White Elephant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We buy quite young players on long term deals to protect any sell on clause.

The problem is, what do you do when they don't work out?

Assuming he doesn't come good (and now Trossard and March are on the way back and Alzate and Connolly have come through it's increasingly unlikely), the next best option is to get him off the books.

But there are two problems

First wages. Is he prepared to take a massive hit on his salary, probably £50k p/w down to £25 in a different European league?
Second transfer fee. Are we prepared to write off the whole £17m? Should we be prepared to do this? How much would PSV or someone be able to pay us, 2 or 3m?

With Andone, Locadia and Knocky we've gone for the approach of loaning out for a year, presumably with a view to getting them in the shop window. Fair enough and the players are happy because they're still getting their full wages, but really we're only putting the problem off until the summer. It's still going to be very hard to find a club that will give us a fraction of what we paid who will also give the players their current wages.

This is why I think the most likely scenario is that all Ali J, Knocky, Locadia and Andone are back with us next summer, we don't manage to sell them and they aren't prepared to take the pay cut to move on. We then continue to heavily subsidise their wages on loan to various clubs until their contracts end. It's a bad situation for us, but part of the risk you take when you buy a prospect and give them a long term contract

I think there are just a few scenarios in which Knockaert doesn't sign for Fulham next summer and, if that happens, we'll be getting a fee about five times we paid for him. Andone didn't cost much in the first place, we've got him off our wages, and he at least has a year to reflect on what a dickhead he is. I suspect we'll recoup the fee in the summer. We'll definitely have to take a hit on Locadia and, in all probability, on Jahanbakhsh as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there are just a few scenarios in which Knockaert doesn't sign for Fulham next summer and, if that happens, we'll be getting a fee about five times we paid for him. Andone didn't cost much in the first place, we've got him off our wages, and he at least has a year to reflect on what a dickhead he is. I suspect we'll recoup the fee in the summer. We'll definitely have to take a hit on Locadia and, in all probability, on Jahanbakhsh as well.

Will 'we'?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let’s wait for him to hve his chance under Potter before we write him off eh....

A player doesn't have to feature in the first team to have had a chance.

He's had a chance to impress Potter from the first day of pre-season training. His new gaffer has seen him day in, day out for over three months now.

Now, that's not to say he still won't come good, but let's not pretend he's not had a chance to impress yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He's had a chance to impress Potter from the first day of pre-season training. His new gaffer has seen him day in, day out for over three months now.

Now, that's not to say he still won't come good, but let's not pretend he's not had a chance to impress yet.
The club is allowed to have more than 11 good players.
The club is also allowed more than 1 good player, per position.
Oh and players do sometimes get injured.

Wasn't the last missive on Ali that he was being trained as Montoya's back-up?
Despite what some on here, inexplicably believe, Martin has been classy this season and only through injury will be see if that's the case.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club is allowed to have more than 11 good players.
The club is also allowed more than 1 good player, per position..

Of course, yes.

But Florin Andone and Jurgen Locadia have both been given more Premier League minutes this season than Ali J, and they are both tossers the club wanted rid of.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Exactly. He might not have had a chance to impress us, but there is no way Potter isn't using him if he thought he was going to bring something to the team.

All this about him being used in the wrong way, playing full back, not suiting his style etc. is all sounding a little hollow now under a second manager he's not getting any game time at all - even through a supposed injury crises, and with more attacking intent in the side. It's not looking good lets be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. He might not have had a chance to impress us, but there is no way Potter isn't using him if he thought he was going to bring something to the team.

All this about him being used in the wrong way, playing full back, not suiting his style etc. is all sounding a little hollow now under a second manager he's not getting any game time at all - even through a supposed injury crises, and with more attacking intent in the side. It's not looking good lets be honest.
Ali was part of that injury crisis, in his own little way.

I'd be Spencesque if the club dropped Gross for Christiano Ronaldo, so I don't see how Ali would get a look in.

That said no, it's not looking good.

Part of my defence of Ali was my faith in the process that bought him here.
Seemingly that faith wasn't shared by the current manager, and who am I to argue with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course, yes.

But Florin Andone and Jurgen Locadia have both been given more Premier League minutes this season than Ali J, and they are both tossers the club wanted rid of.

Someone, on here, offered up the theory that one of Big Jurg or Ali was coming off the books, and the club didn't get any viable offers for Ali.

I can see how every aspect of that would make sense.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ali was part of that injury crisis, in his own little way.

I'd be Spencesque if the club dropped Gross for Christiano Ronaldo, so I don't see how Ali would get a look in.

That said no, it's not looking good.

Part of my defence of Ali was my faith in the process that bought him here.
Seemingly that faith wasn't shared by the current manager, and who am I to argue with that.

I know this might be damning with faint praise, but at least he appears to have passed the 'No dickheads' policy with flying colours. The anecdotal evidence seems to be that he is a hard-working and supportive squad member, and that alone means he still enjoys a lot of goodwill from the fanbase. There isn't s single one of us who doesn't want him to be a star; no one wants him to fail, despite what some of his more passionate supporters claim.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know this might be damning with faint praise, but at least he appears to have passed the 'No dickheads' policy with flying colours. The anecdotal evidence seems to be that he is a hard-working and supportive squad member and that alone means he still enjoys a lot of goodwill from the fanbase. There isn't s single one of us who doesn't want him to be a star; no one wants him to fail, despite what some of his more passionate supporters claim.
They just have a funny way of showing it...

...and so it begins again.

Stand back people
Nothing to see here
Move away

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports