Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From what I've seen of Ali j so far, I think he'll love the formations and style of play we're putting out there he'll get a chance at some point and I believe he'll impress

Very difficult for him to get a place in the latest 4-2-2-2 though. I can’t even see March getting into that formation as it’s stuffed full of central players (Mooy, Groß & Burn) on the flanks with two similar number 9’s up front.

But Potter changes formations all the time so no need for Ali to worry.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think he will get some game time soon, he needs to be better at pressing and winning the ball back to get in the front 3, he needs to get better defensively to make it in as a wing back, I am sure he has been working on at least one of those.
I think it is also worth noting that Potter has not used Bernardo much, clearly not a bad player, but not finding it easy to find a role under Potter, and has been tried in various positions in training.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Nice of the club to try and cheer him up with their latest tweet. :whistle:

[tweet]1181501990066458624[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm accutely aware of my sometimes angry intolerance of others thanks - we all have our crosses to bear I suppose. I'm just getting a little tired of certain people constantly rounding on spence, especially while he has no right of reply. It's totally unneccessary.

I know what you mean, but I hope he sees it more as a back handed compliment, like Hansen's infamous 'you never win anything with kids' statement rather than anything more sinister. I'd love to have the balls to create a boldism! :D

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm accutely aware of my sometimes angry intolerance of others thanks - we all have our crosses to bear I suppose. I'm just getting a little tired of certain people constantly rounding on spence, especially while he has no right of reply. It's totally unneccessary.

I hadn't been aware of your (sometimes) angry intolerance. I've been immune to this so far, but am now enticed by the prospect.

All good things come to those that wait ...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But Florin Andone and Jurgen Locadia have both been given more Premier League minutes this season than Ali J, and they are both tossers the club wanted rid of.
Was Locadia a certified tosser? That seems unfair, but maybe I just missed what happened.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also, wind your neck in over [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] too. I've known him since he was 8 years old and whilst he and I have moved in different circles since we were about 10 years old, I'll tell you now he does know his football - I'd take his opinions on football over yours all day long. He's got two things wrong recently. Firstly, he was wrong about Maty Ryan being too short. Secondly, he's acted like a petulant schoolboy over Potter, simply because he threw his toys out of the pram after 7 games. That said, he has been right on here many, many times, and he does at least give reasons for his occasional negativity.
It wasn't after 7 games, it started well before that.

Our first game was a great win against Watford, then we were unlucky to only draw against West Ham. Andone messed up our game against Southampton, and then we were predictable stuffed away to City.

So that’s 4 games in, and spence posted this (re Albion mojo):
0 for me.

Absolutely convinced we are going down now. A manager who has left us all over the place at the back. We are going to let a lot in this season. Offloading two very average attacking players without adding is a concern. Instead we are going with a Championship striker and a kid to back Murray up. Our midfielders and wingers simply don't score enough. Dropping Duffy(if long time) will also be a big mistake

Defensively we look terrible and all at sea. but hey that's ok because we are playing some attacking football and creating a couple more chances. That's made quite a few happy.
Last season we had a minus 20 GD. We will top that no problem.

The penny will drop when we don't beat Burnley.

We then outplayed Burnley, but let in a last minute equaliser. That’s 5 games in, and spence posted this:

Another month and we will be bottom with the games coming up. Both Chelsea and Spurs will score a hatfull against us. We are not expecting to beat them though it's the results leading up to them which are not good enough. We are capable of getting a point at Newcastle. So realistically 1pt from the next 3 will probably send us bottom.
The next 3 will also give us a proper indication of our defence under Potter and where we will finish.
And those weren't isolated posts. Most of his posts were moaning about how shit we were and how we'd be getting relegated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wasn't after 7 games, it started well before that.

Our first game was a great win against Watford, then we were unlucky to only draw against West Ham. Andone messed up our game against Southampton, and then we were predictable stuffed away to City.

So that’s 4 games in, and spence posted this (re Albion mojo):

We then outplayed Burnley, but let in a last minute equaliser. That’s 5 games in, and spence posted this:

And those weren't isolated posts. Most of his posts were moaning about how shit we were and how we'd be getting relegated.

Very true. And a good cross-section of posts selected to endorse the point.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think he will get some game time soon, he needs to be better at pressing and winning the ball back to get in the front 3, he needs to get better defensively to make it in as a wing back, I am sure he has been working on at least one of those.
I think it is also worth noting that Potter has not used Bernardo much, clearly not a bad player, but not finding it easy to find a role under Potter, and has been tried in various positions in training.

It's also worth noting 21 players have made Premier League appearances already under Potter in just 8 games. Of the first team squad, only Jahanbakhsh, Izqueirdo, Schelotto, Balogun and the 2 back up keepers haven't featured yet, Izqueirdo obviously injured still.

No one should find it easy to find a role at Premier League level, but 21 players in the squad have had a look in for a manager who is seemingly prepared to change things around and test his options.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's also worth noting 21 players have made Premier League appearances already under Potter in just 8 games. Of the first team squad, only Jahanbakhsh, Izqueirdo, Schelotto, Balogun and the 2 back up keepers haven't featured yet, Izqueirdo obviously injured still.

No one should find it easy to find a role at Premier League level, but 21 players in the squad have had a look in for a manager who is seemingly prepared to change things around and test his options.
It's also worth noting one of two of those 21 might have got an opportunity because Ali has been injured for x amount games!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's also worth noting one of two of those 21 might have got an opportunity because Ali has been injured for x amount games!

That is true. I wasn't talking about Ali J specifically, more a general point that the new manager couldn't be accused of not exploring the depths of his squad or different tactical options 8 games in.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i heard they have him in a bunker in Bevendean force feeding him raw walrus meat , elephant testicles and high grade meth , they are trying to get him to grow a significant pair.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
We should all be aware by now that we are PL team with a good squad some of whom will find it difficult to get games. Why on earth should we bin off a player from the squad because of that? Fine if GP decides he can sell for a better deal at some point but why would we want to now? More likely AJ might want out himself to get more games but as far as I can see he is conducting himself very well despite obvious disappointment. Completely unlike messrs Andone and Locadia

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I thought Bernardo has been injured ???

So has Ali J, picked up an injury at the last international break in September, not joining up with the Iran squad this time due to not being fully fit. I think Bernardo has been available for more games than Ali J has, as far as I am aware it was just the game against Villa that Bernardo was not available for. They both played against Bristol Rovers, and Bernardo played 65 minutes against Man City, which maybe was due to Andone's suspension, before that Bernardo made the bench but was not used against Saints and West Ham and came on in added time against Watford. Alirezza has been on the bench the last 2 games,
Potter had said early in the season that Ali had been unlucky to not be making the squad and that he is closer to starting games than might be suggested by not even making the 18, now that may just be the nice thing to say and he is in fact well down the order, but I think he is being honest and just needs a little more from him in some aspects before he puts him in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We should all be aware by now that we are PL team with a good squad some of whom will find it difficult to get games. Why on earth should we bin off a player from the squad because of that? Fine if GP decides he can sell for a better deal at some point but why would we want to now? More likely AJ might want out himself to get more games but as far as I can see he is conducting himself very well despite obvious disappointment. Completely unlike messrs Andone and Locadia

It's a fair point that failure to get on the pitch, in itself doesn't make him a bad player. We're allowed a 25 man senior squad (we might be a couple short of 25, but we're playing Connolly and Alzate). The implication of that is that most Premier League squads will have fit, senior players who can't get game time and who are primarily there because it's a long hard season and they will be needed at some time. Maybe we're just not used to that yet

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So has Ali J, picked up an injury at the last international break in September, not joining up with the Iran squad this time due to not being fully fit. I think Bernardo has been available for more games than Ali J has, as far as I am aware it was just the game against Villa that Bernardo was not available for. They both played against Bristol Rovers, and Bernardo played 65 minutes against Man City, which maybe was due to Andone's suspension, before that Bernardo made the bench but was not used against Saints and West Ham and came on in added time against Watford. Alirezza has been on the bench the last 2 games,
Potter had said early in the season that Ali had been unlucky to not be making the squad and that he is closer to starting games than might be suggested by not even making the 18, now that may just be the nice thing to say and he is in fact well down the order, but I think he is being honest and just needs a little more from him in some aspects before he puts him in.

Are you seriously suggesting that Bernardo isn't currently injured, and we've been subjected to seeing Gaetan Bong coming off the bench because he's preferred?! :lolol:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
So has Ali J, picked up an injury at the last international break in September, not joining up with the Iran squad this time due to not being fully fit. I think Bernardo has been available for more games than Ali J has, as far as I am aware it was just the game against Villa that Bernardo was not available for.

Bernardo was reported as not being fit for Tottenham

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1367276/preview-march-to-return-for-tottenhams-visit/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here