Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9088032]I think a lot of it's down to injuries at the moment. Our squad makeup looks like this at the moment, hence the backup youngsters coming into the match day squad (and doing well I might add)

(red: injured, orange: coming back from injury, blue: youth teamer)

...................... Ryan .....................

... Webster .... Dunk .... Burn .......

Montoya ....................... Bernardo

....... Pröpper .... Stephens ..........

March ........................... Trossard

.................. Maupay.....................

Bench: Button, Duffy, Bissouma, Gross, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo, Murray

Backup: Steele, Balogun, Bong, Schelotto, Alzate, Baluta, Mooy, Connolly

Balogun injured also.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To be fair though, Alzate took up an attacking mid position when Bong came on at LWB.

Because, like Trossard, he appears to have that versatility. As well as the strength to play at this level.

Trossard and Alzate with a decent striker and we're cooking on gas potentially.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The conversation has moved on significantly from the subject - but there can be no argument. Right now - if everyone is fit and available, our strongest matchday squad doesn't contain Jahanbakhsh.

But that doesn't mean he can't force his way into it, if he's given a chance to actually play some minutes.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The conversation has moved on significantly from the subject - but there can be no argument. Right now - if everyone is fit and available, our strongest matchday squad doesn't contain Jahanbakhsh.

But that doesn't mean he can't force his way into it, if he's given a chance to actually play some minutes.

My thoughts exactly . . . .as of now we haven't got a clue if he's any good in his favoured position, or even versatile in others, under the current regime.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Perhaps he could have a run out with the U23s in the leasing.com cup on Tuesday.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I still have a little bit of belief that AJ can be a success at the Albion.
Locadia was a panic buy gone wrong.
But we’d tracked AJ for years. He has been SO ineffective that it’s hard to believe there’s not more there, if that makes sense.
I’m not sure he’ll get the chance now but what a great story it would be if AJ could turn it round.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Perhaps he could have a run out with the U23s in the leasing.com cup on Tuesday.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world... David Lopez was totally lost and being questioned before making his breakthrough playing as an emergency right back. Then we very quickly discovered what Spanish Dave does. It's time we found out what Ali J does!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

Maybe he is fit but Potter is giving him extra extra coaching because he is nowhere near ready to play Potterball.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I noticed at the end of the game he smiled and congratulated Aaron Connolly on his great performance. I know it’s a small thing but knowing that he has had no game time, he still had the decency to congratulate. Hope if he gets an opportunity he takes it and it explains why he is still here and Locadia and Andone are hopefully history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I noticed at the end of the game he smiled and congratulated Aaron Connolly on his great performance. I know it’s a small thing but knowing that he has had no game time, he still had the decency to congratulate. Hope if he gets an opportunity he takes it and it explains why he is still here and Locadia and Andone are hopefully history.
Spurs dodged a bullet, on Saturday.

They're so shite we didn't even need to unleash The Persian Playmaker.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Can we have an honest discussion folks?

What is Alireza still doing here? At this point with Connolly playing so magnificently Alireza is behind Trossard, Maupay, Murray, Connolly, March, Alzate, Mooy.. no matter how many injuries and cards we have, the guy is not going to play. Can we please move on in the winter transfer window? I promise I’ll stay a BHA fan and you guys can’t get rid of me.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

What is Alireza still doing here? At this point with Connolly playing so magnificently Alireza is behind Trossard, Maupay, Murray, Connolly, March, Alzate, Mooy.. no matter how many injuries and cards we have, the guy is not going to play. Can we please move on in the winter transfer window? I promise I’ll stay a BHA fan and you guys can’t get rid of me.

If he is still here - and getting on the bench - it is because Potter rates him highly enough in some capacity to think he has a role to play. I suspect he's also seen enough of his character to decide he's a good influence in the squad.
From what I have seen so far, i'll trust Potter's judgement.
I've also learned that Potter REALLY likes to mix things up and spring surprises. I am pretty sure we'll see Ali J play for Brighton again. Don't know where. Don't know when.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

I think you may get your wish.

Clearly a decent player (we tracked him for years) but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

...and to think of the excitement when he signed that day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's hard to imagine he won't be gone sooner rather than later.
But all the time he's here I'll support him, or to be more precise support [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] supporting him.

That said is there a backup for Montoya, in the squad?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It's hard to imagine he won't be gone sooner rather than later.
But all the time he's here I'll support him, or to be more precise support [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] supporting him.

That said is there a backup for Montoya, in the squad?

Not really but Alzate can do the wing back role if required, and I think Webster could play right back if desperate.

I suspect another right back is on the list though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's probably still here because nobody else wants him. I dunno what sort of wages he's on, but having been a record signing he's probably on a fair old wedge. We might want shot, but someone else has to want to pick him up too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Think you're right. At the very least we ought to be looking for a loan opportunity in January, preferably in this country so he has a chance to get used to the English game. Upper Championship perhaps?
I think it's either that or let him go back to the Eredivise, which obviously suits him, but taking a pretty hefty financial clout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really but Alzate can do the wing back role if required, and I think Webster could play right back if desperate.

I suspect another right back is on the list though
That's got more than a touch of 'square peg round hole' to it, esp as both are cementing first team starts in the team with Montoya.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
He's probably still here because nobody else wants him. I dunno what sort of wages he's on, but having been a record signing he's probably on a fair old wedge. We might want shot, but someone else has to want to pick him up too.

I don't think that's entirely true as a number of Dutch Clubs were interested in taking him on loan at the beginning of the season. I'm sure I read from The Argus that Ali J turned down those opportunities as he wanted to fight for his place here, so good on him for wanting to do that.

However come Jan he may change his mind and go Dutch again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here