Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alexis Nicholas

B.W. said:
Nicolas - how can anyone criticise his performance?... he was good last night... broke up promising Wolves play many times... OK - tired a bit near the end, but he hasn't started a game for months... FFS... :angry: :censored:

Aside from any one person's performance here - but when you say a player "hasn't started for months" are you discounting reserve games, practise sessions and etc?
It's my opinion that any reserve player should be able-bodied-and-minded to last 90minutes. I'm almost 50 and play a 90minute game every week with no half-time, added to doing physical work for 5 days a week. Take into account that I am not trying to 'get to bed early and watch what I do to my body'. I'm afraid that a professional football player half my age won't get much sympathy for running out of steam unless the bloke has really been toiling extremely hard or is coming off an injury.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
NMH said:
Aside from any one person's performance here - but when you say a player "hasn't started for months" are you discounting reserve games, practise sessions and etc?
It's my opinion that any reserve player should be able-bodied-and-minded to last 90minutes. I'm almost 50 and play a 90minute game every week with no half-time, added to doing physical work for 5 days a week. Take into account that I am not trying to 'get to bed early and watch what I do to my body'. I'm afraid that a professional football player half my age won't get much sympathy for running out of steam unless the bloke has really been toiling extremely hard or is coming off an injury.

So why isnt jake scoring then?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Nicolas was a decent player last season, so it is difficult to fathom what is happening with him. I really hope he can discover last seasons form again.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Blimey give a change to get match fit and then start judging and having a go at his performance.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rookie said:
Blimey give a change to get match fit and then start judging and having a go at his performance.

He's been playing reserve team football.
He only passes backwards. There were chances to play through balls and out to the wings and he didn't do it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Reserve team football is not Championship pace football. Makele (or however you spell his name) only plays 5 - 10 yard passes and Chelsea say his the most important player

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Exactly. The whole moaning about his passing is ridiculous - it's the job he's there to do, yet a minority whinge when he does it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Nicolas was awful last night. Hardly made a decent tackle; bundled off the ball constantly; no worthwhile contribution.

Based on that performance he should not be in the squad.

Repugnant Toad said:
He did last night. Certainly out-shone Hammond.

Now that is damning with faint praise.

I thought Hammond got better in the second half after being lost for the first half-hour.

Nicolas I think is a very consistent player and did OK last night without ever suggesting he's developing a new dimension to his game in coming forward.

He's the most defensive of our 4 central midfielders in that he always looks for the safe pass rather than trying to get the ball to our front guys or into space for them to chase.

But he has very good hustling game and broke up opposition play well. I think he's the genuine heir to Charlie Oatway's role in the team - although maybe not quite yet - but alas I don't think Nicolas will ever be the attacking midfielder that people really want.

Rookie said:
Reserve team football is not Championship pace football. Makele (or however you spell his name) only plays 5 - 10 yard passes and Chelsea say his the most important player

Makalele's passes are 5 to 10 yards forward though :)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Makalele's passes are 5 to 10 yards forward though :)
No, he just goes for the simple ball. Retaining possession.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I don't go to many games (2 - so far this seaon) - but from what I've seen of Nicolas (about 5 games), he's a tidy player, I think we did well to sign him

I like tidy

I lke decent squad

I like young-uns on contract

*homo kiss chase*

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I thought Alexis did well. He put himself about, broke up play and tried to play the ball safe to keep possession. He got better as the game went on I thought. He just needs the confidence to be a bit more progressive with his passing and we'll have a decent player there. Hammond is struggling for consistency at the moment, in a position which is crucial for us, but then he is still quite young and will improve over time.

caz

Aug 10, 2005
Makelele's passes are not always forward. He's jobis like Alexis,
is to break up play, be simply, tidy, its very important to have someone like that in the team, players like that go un-noticed.

Think some of you have been watching headless chickens too long.

Nicholas is a great player, hope we see more of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here