Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best ever keeper

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Grummitt

Just a question of who comes second: Moseley or Kuipers?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Grummitt all the way for me; by far the best I've seen in my 48 years of Albion watching. Beeney second

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Both Moseley and Steele were very average keepers. Moseley gets plaudits for the semi final but if you watch the game he was shocking for most of it, gave them the goal but pulled off 2 good saves near the end. Digweed was mostly poor. Big Joe was the best when in his prime but was over the hill when we got him. I was too young to see Grummit. Mine would be out of PIG, Keeley, Beaney and Roberts.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm reasonably certain the correct answer is David Stockdale.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Digweed for the permed hair and along with Perry Como having to endure one of the worst first names in the history of first names.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Digweed. Mark Walton for comedy value though.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Without Kuipers an option to vote for it makes it a bit pointless.

The summer work experience staff at the Argus who drew up the shortlist clearly made a mistake.

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with a poll like this is that around a third of those who replied have only seen our Amex keepers, around half will only have seen keepers since the Withdean days and less than a quarter will have seen the 70's and earlier keepers. Unless they were exceptional then they had no chance.
I didn't see Eric Gill but if he got 11% of the vote and he stopped playing in 1960 then he probably got over 90% of the votes of the over 60's. That's pretty impressive.
PIG got 20% of the vote but 99.9% of the voters will have seen him play for us. In my opinion he was a very competent keeper but prone to lapses of concentration. Graham Moseley had similar frailties. but was probably a bit more athletic. Eric Steele was not the best at crosses but was the most agile keeper I can remember and back in their day I had him down as slightly the better of the two (Steele and Moseley).
However, Peter Grummitt was unbelievable at times. His reactions were so quick. He was unlucky to be around with the likes of Gordon Banks, Peter Springett and Peter Bonnetti as he could have made the England team in any other era.
The best goalkeeping performance I can remember, though, came from Joe Corrigan at the Goldstone. I can't remember who we played that day but they could have had 100 point blank attempts and they wouldn't have scored. He didn't even make the top 10!
During the 70's and 80's we were renowned for always having top notch keepers. This run ended with Nicky Rust and Mark Ormerod who, sadly, were a poor imitation of their predecessors. I don't think we have ever reached those dizzy heights since then.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Another vote for Ben Roberts, with Beeney a close second. I don't think I saw him make an error in the 2003-2004 season, and he was immense in the games that really counted, especially Swindon away. As much as we all loved him, Steve Coppell sent FDM out on loan while he had Roberts in goal. Mind you, I don't think I've seen a better double save than the one they show on the screens at the Amex by FDM at Wolves (even if I only saw it on TV). The best save I've ever seen by an Albion keeper was one by John Keeley at Doncaster in the 1987-1988 season.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Ben Roberts here as well

That clean sheet record he kept played a massive, massive part in getting his promoted. Really, we were very lucky to have him as had his back not been knackered he could easily have played in the top flight and, had he been a little bit taller would probably have played for England given the absolute trolls that were vying for the shirt when he would have been hitting his prime

And as far as saves go, that one away at Bradford wasn't bad

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem with a poll like this is that around a third of those who replied have only seen our Amex keepers, around half will only have seen keepers since the Withdean days and less than a quarter will have seen the 70's and earlier keepers. Unless they were exceptional then they had no chance.
I didn't see Eric Gill but if he got 11% of the vote and he stopped playing in 1960 then he probably got over 90% of the votes of the over 60's. That's pretty impressive.
PIG got 20% of the vote but 99.9% of the voters will have seen him play for us. In my opinion he was a very competent keeper but prone to lapses of concentration. Graham Moseley had similar frailties. but was probably a bit more athletic. Eric Steele was not the best at crosses but was the most agile keeper I can remember and back in their day I had him down as slightly the better of the two (Steele and Moseley).
However, Peter Grummitt was unbelievable at times. His reactions were so quick. He was unlucky to be around with the likes of Gordon Banks, Peter Springett and Peter Bonnetti as he could have made the England team in any other era.
The best goalkeeping performance I can remember, though, came from Joe Corrigan at the Goldstone. I can't remember who we played that day but they could have had 100 point blank attempts and they wouldn't have scored. He didn't even make the top 10!
During the 70's and 80's we were renowned for always having top notch keepers. This run ended with Nicky Rust and Mark Ormerod who, sadly, were a poor imitation of their predecessors. I don't think we have ever reached those dizzy heights since then.

I think that's a bit simplistic. It would be like voting on musical taste. Generally speaking, older people will say older music is better. This is partly because they are romanticising the past, partly because the music they grew up with is intrinsically linked with their formative years.

I think the same applies. We hear so many people on here talking about how football isn't what it used to be. Part of that is romanticising the past, and part of it is because the football of the past is intrinsically linked with their formative years.

I haven't really embraced a player since John Robinson. My favourite players are him, and also Keeley, Digweed, Bremner, Crumplin, and most of the guys from that era.

Older people will generally vote for the best in their generation, just as the younger ones will tend to vote for the best in their generation. As such, I don't think we should give extra weight to the votes of older people simply because they've seen more players. They are still going to have their own generation bias.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here