Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Gill

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does anyone know if Eric Gill is still alive? Eric was Brighton's goalkeeper in the late 50's and 1960's, and I think he still holds the record for playing consecutive matches (247?). He was a friend of my dad and grandad and we often used to visit him at the hotel he ran (on the front between Lower Rock Gardens and the New Steine...can't remember what it was called maybe Melrose or was that next door).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was paraded at the Withdean last season along with the survivors of the 1958 promotion team and 1983 cup final team. Good goalkeeper didnt he play about 600 games for us or something like that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My hero of the fifty's.:thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He was paraded at the Withdean last season along with the survivors of the 1958 promotion team and 1983 cup final team. Good goalkeeper didnt he play about 600 games for us or something like that.

Probably not quite that many, but he was with us for most of his career. Brighton through and through. I'm glad to hear he is still going (or at least was last season), I'll take dad to visit him if he is still about.

He must have been a decent 'keeper as I remember hearing quite alot about him when I started watching the Albion 40 years ago; so much so that I remember as a child that I guessed correctly the name of the mystery recording of his voice on BBC Radio Brighton (they had given his position as a clue).

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Used to work with his son Malcom when I left school 88-89 as a plasterers mate.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Could have done with him in goal last night. From what I remember, he was steady and unspectacular but wouldn't let you down. Interesting though, I seem to remember that when we got promotion to the old second division he didn't play as much - Dave Hollins took over I think. (older brother of John)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That's a relief. Thought you had bounced this because he's croaked!
So, did you go and visit him, MacKenxie?
It was great to see him out on the pitch yesterday, I'm sure we'll catch up with him at some point.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
£400 signing, talk about value! Would have performed better than Gonzalez last night, no question. Very sharp suit, and sharp mind.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I was in tears last night - this man was my first Albion Hero!!!!

:albion2:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Some people have no sense of history.

It's like the Amex has spawned Albion Year Zero.

Correct Al. A Man who does not know his past does not know his future.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
A White Horse walks up to the bar & asks for a beer.
Barman looks amazed & exclaims 'I don't believe it, a talking horse' then continues 'guess what? we've got a drink named after you!'
Horse replies 'What, Eric?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here