Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions best ever keeper

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Graham Moseley for me, gaffe prone off the pitch maybe but 100% reliable on it. Just looked it up - 1984-5 season, 34 goals conceded in 42 league games.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I’ve been lucky to see so many.

1. Peter Grummit
2. John Keeley
3. Michelle Kuipers

Perry Digweed could be fantastic but sometimes he could be a liability, probably the Stockdale of his day but less howlers than Stockdale.

Corrigan and Moseley were both good but were on the way down when they came to us.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Obviously it has to be Eric Gill. It was that green jersey you see, and the typeface he invented in his spare time.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Obviously it has to be Eric Gill. It was that green jersey you see, and the typeface he invented in his spare time.

Gill or Grummitt for me and I would also add Dave Hollins to the best Albion keeper list. Hollins gained full Welsh international caps playing here as understudy to Eric Gill, before moving on to play 112 games for Newcastle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another vote for Ben Roberts, with Beeney a close second. I don't think I saw him make an error in the 2003-2004 season, and he was immense in the games that really counted, especially Swindon away. As much as we all loved him, Steve Coppell sent FDM out on loan while he had Roberts in goal. Mind you, I don't think I've seen a better double save than the one they show on the screens at the Amex by FDM at Wolves (even if I only saw it on TV). The best save I've ever seen by an Albion keeper was one by John Keeley at Doncaster in the 1987-1988 season.

I was at Wolves for that double save, which is still featured in the highlights in the run up to kick off. Having said that, Kuszczak also made a fantastic double save at Cardiff from Bellamy a couple of years ago. I would be torn between choosing Ben Roberts and Perry Digweed.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Peter Grummit all day long for me. Would be a Prem League keeper without a doubt by todays standards.
Loved Eric Steele & also Brian Powney was great for us too.

POG was ok, but anyone who thinks he's too big for us can do one in my book.

Jul 5, 2003
I think that's a bit simplistic. It would be like voting on musical taste. Generally speaking, older people will say older music is better. This is partly because they are romanticising the past, partly because the music they grew up with is intrinsically linked with their formative years.

I think the same applies. We hear so many people on here talking about how football isn't what it used to be. Part of that is romanticising the past, and part of it is because the football of the past is intrinsically linked with their formative years.

I haven't really embraced a player since John Robinson. My favourite players are him, and also Keeley, Digweed, Bremner, Crumplin, and most of the guys from that era.

Older people will generally vote for the best in their generation, just as the younger ones will tend to vote for the best in their generation. As such, I don't think we should give extra weight to the votes of older people simply because they've seen more players. They are still going to have their own generation bias.

I don't disagree with what you're saying as we have had some excellent keepers over the past 20 years. we just haven't had a string of quality keepers like we did in the seventies and eighties.

I would hope that not everyone would vote on their reminiscences, I grew up watching the likes of Powney and Sidebottom and, although they were good keepers, they wouldn't get anywhere near my top 10. I couldn't justify Corrigan either as, even although he put in some great performances, he wasn't with us for long and was past his best.

Grummitt was also at the twilight of his career but we got 136 games out of him. He was 5'10" and, when you look at the team photo of him next to Rollings and Mellor, he looks even smaller than that. He was superb but it was in Division 3 so perhaps that needs to be taken into account? Who knows!

Our regular keeper during our Division 1 years was Moseley so you could argue that he must be up there but I always preferred Steele when we were getting to the top so who was the better of those two?

More recently the likes of Kuipers, Roberts and PIG have been excellent. I really liked Roberts as he was another keeper who rarely put in a bad performance.

It's all conjecture but it's a great discussion!

Let's see what happens as the Argus go through the positions. Remember Frank Worthington?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My favourite keeper has to be Kuipers, the double save he made against Wolves has to be the best save I can remember seeing an Albion keeper make. As for the best to play for us I would be torn between Mark Beeney and Ben Roberts I'd possibly have to consider Joe Corrigan but being as I was only 8 when he played for us I cannot remember a massive amount of his games. I would find it difficult to make a choice between Beeney and Roberts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I know there's different facets to being a keeper but when it comes to shot-stopping I reckon it's a dead heat between Stockdale and FDM. I don't think I've ever seen finer shot-stoppers than those two playing for us.

Oct 25, 2003
Roberts was the most talented I've seen I think....unfortunately he was only around for 1 season (plus a few games the previous year). But then again were it not for his injury problems he would have been playing at a higher level than us

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Seems some of you are forgetting FDMs fantastic double save against the Dons in the FA cup, or am I dreaming ?
The argus headline should have read "Who was/is your favourite keeper"
For me it was Grummit by a mile, But who remembers Harry Baldwin the penalty king ?
This pole was voted by many who have only watched the Seagulls of later years, who have never seen Eric or Brian or Jo and many others, some I have even forgotten about.
I see that Graham Smith was not included in the pole, I wonder why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here