Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Darlington 3rd December 1996 Roll Call.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
:albion2:

Yep, and then I had a Lamb Rogan Josh from Indiana ..... which was alright.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Depressing times. That season I went to most games, home and away, because it felt like it could be the club's last season ever. I remember the protest after the game and it became clear that we were not going to let The Albion die.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I was at this one strangely because at the time as I lived in the Midlands and didn't get to many home games. Really do remember the way things seemed to just boil over at that game, but most of my memories, as with others I knew, were away matches. Sooooo depressing but also made friendships forged in massive adversity.

Bellotti chased out of the Wigan directors box, also remember the train ride from Swansea and the Police telling him to get off as the couldn't guarantee his safety (recon he may have got chucked off if he hadn't got off at Parkway TBH).

It was all consuming, but it is something that has made this club what it is now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there for that. I remember us being 3-0 down, watching some pathetic fireworks lighting up the depressing Gillingham skyline and just thinking what the f*** was I doing there.

I was one of the few who was a ST holder for the Priestfield years. I went to every home game that season - I must have been loopy

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It is one of those nights/experiences I will never forget. As I get older I tend to forget many of the games gone past, but oddly, it's games like Darlington, and the mid-day kick-off against York City on a Thursday that I remember. Almost unbelievable that we're here on the cusp of top flight football in a beautiful stadium. Well played Brighton fans.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Ah yes! Joining in the Assault on NW Precinct was a no brainer for me that night. Felt like a naughty schoolboy but we were all working "off the cuff" in those few heady weeks especially! But after several re-reads of Build a Bonfire and especially after last nights news, my tributes today go to those who did the real grunt work over the course of a few years. If the Argus does a new "Up Up and Away II" (remember that!) book in a few weeks, I hope there is a segment dedicated to those both living or no longer with us who truly own a piece of today's wondrous story...

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
On the pitch! On the pitch! On the pitch!

Grim but look where it got us!!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
In the North Stand that night. My late brother Dave was amongst the first on to the pitch and into the West Stand after Belotti. Later, as we were demonstrating outside the West Stand someone chucked a milk crate, trying to smash a window I guess and it bounced off and hit me square on the forehead. Had to go to the St John's Ambulance to get patched up. I must have looked a right mess at work the next day but no-one said anything. If whoever chucked the milk crate is reading this, I expect you to come to the Swan before the Wigan game and buy me a pint as compensation.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Can remember people in the North singing "CASE OUT". I couldn't bring myself to join in as the bloke didn't deserve that.

Even worse Darlington memory was the 0-4 at Gillingham where Gabbiadini ripped us a new one. Speaking to Darlo fans in the Cricketers before the game and they were telling me how bad they were. I told them how they would win with ease as we were worse. "If we win, the drinks are on us afterwards". Went back to duly claim my ale.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Can remember people in the North singing "CASE OUT". I couldn't bring myself to join in as the bloke didn't deserve that.

Even worse Darlington memory was the 0-4 at Gillingham where Gabbiadini ripped us a new one. Speaking to Darlo fans in the Cricketers before the game and they were telling me how bad they were. I told them how they would win with ease as we were worse. "If we win, the drinks are on us afterwards". Went back to duly claim my ale.

Look at Darlo now! Suffered the same issues as us in the long run. There before the grace of God! and all that..

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Were you there?

As the excitement, anticipation and emotion gathers momentum I hope that as many of the 2709 who braved the Goldstone on that cold December night nearly 21 years ago will there at the Amex when we make to the top flight

Sadly the likes of Roy Chuter, Sarah Watts and many others won't but I'm sure they will be with us all in spirit.

I was there. I think it's the game at which I appear in Stewart Weir's book waiting outside the West Stand for Bellotti after the game.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I was there, working on the South Stand turnstiles that night I believe. So probably wasn't included in the official attendance figures, as once we'd finished our duties, it was off to the offices to cash up, and then take a seat in the West stand!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yep...didnt miss a game that season home and away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here