Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Darlington 3rd December 1996 Roll Call.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep, me (and my Dad). Dismal night.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Yes. Remember it well. Started with "Case Out" agents provocateur in the pub and ended round the back of the West.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Were you there?

As the excitement, anticipation and emotion gathers momentum I hope that as many of the 2709 who braved the Goldstone on that cold December night nearly 21 years ago will there at the Amex when we make to the top flight

Sadly the likes of Roy Chuter, Sarah Watts and many others won't but I'm sure they will be with us all in spirit.

YEP

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
As others have said, it was the evening where a lot of people finally snapped. Genuine anger took over. Along with North Stand muckers Coxy and Duffy, we were amongst the 20 or so who jumped the wall and dashed across the pitch to get at him. We weren't hardened football hooligans, all loyal fans who had had enough and could see no other course of action.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was there it 2-3. Dreadful.

But Brighton & Hove was a much nicer place then.

Not the pretentious cauldron it is now.

After evening games I would walk home to Hove seafront. Get a curry from along Portland Road or occasionally go the other way and see the night off in Hove Sporting Club.

Then were the days.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I was working in Birmingham that week and Drove down and back to my
Brum hotel. Got a puncture on way home and thought we were doomed that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
My worst eveneing as an Albion fan, dreadful 3-2 defeat, supporters trying to break in to the boardroom etc and points clear at the bottom of the league.... it could only get better!!! and now still points clear, feeling positive and great about the rest of the season.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was there. It was the match when it dawned on me that as well as off the pitch, we were really deep in the shit ON the pitch too.

What we achieved on both counts is beyond remarkable

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was there. Stood on terrace in west just behind the away dugout. Had an excellent view of the charge of the north stand brigade and Belotti legging it.

I was stood ,leaning on my usual barrier, on the south west terrace.Me, Stuart from New haven, Barry from Eastbourne, and another bloke who's name I can't remember, it was just about the lowest I've ever been in fifty years watching football.

Jul 7, 2003
Another who was there. A few moments of joy when DB was chased out of the stand followed by another turgid game and the hope of survival both in the league and as a club disappearing rapidly.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Yes, I was there. Looking back, even nights like that were perversely enjoyable that season. The Goldstone was always a magical place for me, still gutted it has gone.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was the lowest of many low points. Darlo were, surely, the only team we could beat?......No, we were the worst.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Glad you reminded me that this was the game Belotti was chased from the director's box as date and opposition wise it didn't click. I was in the North. Can't believe the crowd was so low though, my memory seems to think it was tough well supported times but of course it was tough times only supported by the few. I've also forgotten how shite the football was aswell! However, do miss those days in an odd way and have mixed feelings about reaching the Premier league and paying out huge fees and wages on average footballers.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My dad got sponsors tickets from Sandtex, so we were in their box just down to the right of the directors box. God you lot were scary storming over to get Belotti. Weird to be there and not in the north, but I got a few Archer out chants off my chest. :)

After the game in the sponsor's lounge it was clearly not a normal atmosphere, security on their walkie-talkies. Remember going to the loo, this dark, high-ceilinged hogwarts-type room with windows looking out over the road behind the west stand and seeing the hordes gathering, gave a wave and a thumbs up and clapped along to the chants but knew I'd much rather be down there.

It was chaotic inside. Eventually the security shepherded us out, past the doors at the back of the stand that were being held shut by two burly guys as they were bashed and pounded from outside, out past the changing rooms, past a fairly frightened looking Nicky Rust and Peter Smith and eventually onto the Old Shoreham Road. A game I will always remember.

Mad to think we came back from that, 9 points adrift we were and a club riven asunder

Last edited:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
What a low that night was. Felt like we dropped a million miles behind after the result.

I sat in the first row behind the director's box. An entertaining spot in those days!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I was there. At first it seemed funny, watching Bellotti darting away but that was the only real "high" point of a very sad, very disturbing evening. As others have sad, it crystallised just how adrift we were as a club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here