Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Update

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would love it to be "Seagulls crap on eagles", but suspect that's unlikely for, oh, just about every reason in the book. Seagulls all over, maybe?
Seagulls above. Seagulls flying.

It's because the previous chairman had his inner circle of people on first name terms who took great pride in knowing everything. Some are struggling to adapt to the new, professional Brighton and Hove Albion and as such feel they still have the right or need to know everything. And because they are no longer getting that information and the cosy little club has gone, it leads to criticism of what has replaced it.
It's not about a right or a need to know everything. I certainly didn't know everything under the previous regime - and quite right, too.

All I'm suggesting is that, at this particular moment, the Club's public relations would be improved by a short statement from the Chairman. Not "I have every faith in Paul Barber" (of course he does), but more along the lines of "I understand and share the concerns of Albion fans, but we'll all have to be patient while some very difficult issues are being dealt with". Paul Barber is being thoroughly professional and that's what we expect. An added bit of passion from a man we know to be a passionate, life-long fan would add something very worthwhile to our support for the Club. We are not just customers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's not about a right or a need to know everything. I certainly didn't know everything under the previous regime - and quite right, too.

All I'm suggesting is that, at this particular moment, the Club's public relations would be improved by a short statement from the Chairman. Not "I have every faith in Paul Barber" (of course he does), but more along the lines of "I understand and share the concerns of Albion fans, but we'll all have to be patient while some very difficult issues are being dealt with". Paul Barber is being thoroughly professional and that's what we expect. An added bit of passion from a man we know to be a passionate, life-long fan would add something very worthwhile to our support for the Club. We are not just customers.

When you first suggested that some sort of statement from TB would be welcome, I was in the camp of supporting those that said it would be at best neutral and at worst undermine PB. However, a statement such as what you've suggested would do PB no harm at all and might reassure some percentage of the fan base (you, for example). I've shifted my view - no harm in such a statement being released. Have no clue whether TB is the sort of man who would do so, mind you...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All I'm suggesting is that, at this particular moment, the Club's public relations would be improved by a short statement from the Chairman.

I am not disagreeing with you Lord Bracknell just playing devil's advocate, do you not think Mr Bloom had a hand in writing the message if not in part or all, so in around about way we have a message from Bloom without the "As a life long fan". Which in all fairness he does not have to tell us or prove to us (in a way that some may take as tcondescending) that we all know how much he loves the Albion.

I take it as direct message from Bloom.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Why? What's he going to say that Paul Barber can't?

I find it a bit ridiculous that Paul Barber has to take the time to write stuff like this just to appease idiots who can't understand that stuff like this takes time. There is no quick answer, and if there was it certainly can't be published by the club. Just let them get on with it, and if it takes another week/month/three months then so be it.

Absolutely. Nothing more to say. I can't imagine how some of our current fans would cope if we took away Sky Sports, Talk Sport, Five Live and the internet. In the old days all we had was John Vinnicombe and the Seagull Line.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The same people who gave up significant amounts of their time to put up the fight for you to even have a team to support now. So while professionalism and discretion are clearly the name of the game now, and nobody can say that's wrong, the fact that they had the chairman's ear and vice versa was the era we lived in.

So don't re-write history just to try and suit what actually sounds like petty jealousy that you tried, but couldn't get in, or make assumptions about why people are asking for information from the club.

Let's not forget where blindly following the management of OUR club with absolutely no medium or ability for recourse got us last time? Very different situation now granted, some of us fans with longer memories just happen to be more sceptical.

So its a case of not trusting anyone to be able to run the club without certain fans being able to peer over their shoulder in fear of another 'Belotti, Archer and Stanley stitch-up' and despite the fact that we currently have an owner who has sunk a vast sum of his own wealth into the club to finance the stadium, etc - do you seriously think that Bloom would be looking to run the club into the ground, sell off the assets and get every penny he could out of it to line his pockets at the expense of the clubs future?

Some people have just got to relax and learn to trust people again rather than doubting and questioning everything they do.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Absolutely. Nothing more to say. I can't imagine how some of our current fans would cope if we took away Sky Sports, Talk Sport, Five Live and the internet. In the old days all we had was John Vinnicombe and the Seagull Line.

In the even older days I had to phone the operator to see if anyone knew how the Albion were getting on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How many chairman actually come out with statements at times like these? You don't see Abrahmovich or the Glazer's seeking to reassure fans do you? What about the trust that owns Southampton? No, all their work comes through Cortese. In modern football, a wealthy owner will appoint a CEO who he feels is fit to run the club on a day-to-day basis. That is what Barber is and that is why you hear from him and very rarely Bloom.

We've moved on from the days when Dick Knight would be the centre of everything, making speeches on the pitch and snap comments on the radio like promising to sign five players in the transfer window. Some people just can't seem to accept that. Still, any chance to have a moan that the old clique is no more and things were better in the good old days.

If it were not for the " old clique " like LB and PS we may not even be at Falmer. Do you know the tireless work these guys did for the club and us, the fans ? LB has earned his right to have his say. I was at the LDC meeting when LB absolutely DESTROYED Anne De Vecchi and the petty LDC vendetta against the club doing all they could to block Falmer so a little bit of respect is warranted and thoroughly deserved.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If it were not for the " old clique " like LB and PS we may not even be at Falmer. Do you know the tireless work these guys did for the club and us, the fans ? LB has earned his right to have his say. I was at the LDC meeting when LB absolutely DESTROYED Anne De Vecchi and the petty LDC vendetta against the club doing all they could to block Falmer so a little bit of respect is warranted and thoroughly deserved.

Don't you think that things have moved on, just a little, since then?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't you think that things have moved on, just a little, since then?

Yes but I also do not believe in rewriting history, a rich history.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
So its a case of not trusting anyone to be able to run the club without certain fans being able to peer over their shoulder in fear of another 'Belotti, Archer and Stanley stitch-up' and despite the fact that we currently have an owner who has sunk a vast sum of his own wealth into the club to finance the stadium, etc - do you seriously think that Bloom would be looking to run the club into the ground, sell off the assets and get every penny he could out of it to line his pockets at the expense of the clubs future?

Some people have just got to relax and learn to trust people again rather than doubting and questioning everything they do.

I'm not saying that we should question everything, but questioning nothing is just as bad.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My only comment about this is the rather patronising tone that has been taken against people desperate for news.

We all live in the real world thanks, some longer than others. The suspension and subsequent delay are obviously not uncommon in the corporate world, although in my experience it's usual to sort something out at that level incredibly quickly.

My point is this. It's extremely unusual in the football industry. I was struggling to find another example.

I did and the matter was resolved in a week.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My only comment about this is the rather patronising tone that has been taken against people desperate for news.

We all live in the real world thanks, some longer than others. The suspension and subsequent delay are obviously not uncommon in the corporate world, although in my experience it's usual to sort something out at that level incredibly quickly.

My point is this. It's extremely usual in the football industry. I was struggling to find another example.

I did and the matter was resolved in a week.

Fair comment. I would hope I haven't patronised anyone, but I'll take more care to check before hitting "send".

This other matter you refer to: did it involve three people beings suspended simultaneously? That's pretty rare, Shirley?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's because the previous chairman had his inner circle of people on first name terms who took great pride in knowing everything. Some are struggling to adapt to the new, professional Brighton and Hove Albion and as such feel they still have the right or need to know everything. And because they are no longer getting that information and the cosy little club has gone, it leads to criticism of what has replaced it.

You sound bitter and very "sneery", perhaps unintentionally. But either way its worth remembering this inner circle saved our club and people like the Paul's, Tim, Harty and Atilla are proper legends who thousands will never forget like me. If you're young and don't remember those times, they're the uncle Alberts basically ie younger generations may yawn at their war stories but have some respect: they fought for what you've got today when many didn't and had given up all hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here