Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion to launch matchday travel scheme review

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Practically would be a nightmare to police wouldn’t it ?………I’d buy a train ticket from my local station (no barriers) to Preston Park but stay on the train into Brighton ? Can’t see them doing ticket checks within that 10 minute stretch. Whilst this may already be happening for people travelling in from outside the current travel inclusive zone the numbers would jump massively if the zone was reduced that much.
That's no different from travelling in from west of Worthing and needing a ticket to get to the arbitrary line at Worthing.

Shifting the line between free and charged rail fare isn't an impossible issue, although realistically it will always need to be free on the Brighton-Falmer-Lewes line.

I'm not saying this will happen. It depends how much money needs to be saved, and also how "sacred" the current travel zone boundaries are to the decision makers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's no different from travelling in from west of Worthing and needing a ticket to get to the arbitrary line at Worthing.

Shifting the line between free and charged rail fare isn't an impossible issue, although realistically it will always need to be free on the Brighton-Falmer-Lewes line.

I'm not saying this will happen. It depends how much money needs to be saved, and also how "sacred" the current travel zone boundaries are to the decision makers.
That what I meant - it's already happening, but the increase in numbers needing to do it would be huge

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The University of Brighton is skint (according to its top brass) and could probably do with some matchday revenue from the car park on Moulsecoomb campus that replaced the Mithras House car park.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021

I think its a given the Brighton to Lewes line will be retained as inclusive transport. Further afield may be in doubt. If ay travelling from Shoreham or Hassocks i.e. just outside the revised area (of only Brighton to Lewes) ticket price wont be much less than a ticket all the way to Falmer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If they do cut back on the scheme, it still makes a lot of sense to keep the travel within the Brighton area free as anything that slows down the public transport - like checking everyone's ticket - is a very bad idea indeed. With no inside knowledge but being a bit of a cynic, I'd imagine the club would be delighted to wash their hands of the whole thing completely. Couldn't really blame them. Not least because it would then be easier to increase ticket prices while still keeping them reasonable by Premier League standards. Hey presto, what was the travel subsidy suddenly/gradually becomes Albion revenue. I bet prices don't go down, whatever happens.

Jul 7, 2003
Practically would be a nightmare to police wouldn’t it ?………I’d buy a train ticket from my local station (no barriers) to Preston Park but stay on the train into Brighton ? Can’t see them doing ticket checks within that 10 minute stretch. Whilst this may already be happening for people travelling in from outside the current travel inclusive zone the numbers would jump massively if the zone was reduced that much.
Traveling into Brighton for work a few weeks ago, my ticket was checked between Worthing and Hove and then again on the shuttle from Hove to Brighton.
After the Bournemouth game at the start of the month there were Revenue Protection officers going through the train to Worthing 'reminding' people that they had to have a ticket if they wanted to travel past Worthing. Easier to do once the train starts to empty out from Shoreham, not sure practical it would be on a packed train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here