Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion to launch matchday travel scheme review

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

The club's board of directors and executive team, in conjunction with the Fan Advisory Board, are planning to review the matchday travel scheme, which has been in operation since the Amex opened in 2011.

No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards, with the following objectives:

• To investigate if there is a fairer model with better choice for fans, currently there is a 'one-size-fits-all' approach and some fans benefit more than others
  • To continue to liaise with third-party providers and the local authority (as we do proactively and continuously) to investigate improvements for fans
  • To review current legislation, which can be restrictive, and see if red tape can be removed to make it easier and more cost effective for the club and fans
  • To review costs for the club, which have increased considerably, particularly in the past year, and where possible remove those which are unnecessary or ineffective
  • Improve operational efficiencies and investigate if better use of data and technology can help improve the overall service and reduce club’s costs

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We probably have the best travel scheme anywhere in the league, will be interesting to see how they can improve it, I imagine it will be making it optional again, as the minority who park at the ground will say they don't want to pay and then the vast majority buy it anyway. I do think parking at the bridge should be included in the scheme though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Car Parking, particularly at The Bridge, is a shambles, but I can't see them doing anything about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Car Parking, particularly at The Bridge, is a shambles, but I can't see them doing anything about it.
In terms of exiting that car park, which I agree is horrendous, I'm really not sure what can be done.

That volume of vehicles all trying to leave at the same time, single-file, through a narrow runnel and immediately hitting a major set of traffic lights is not going to be easy to improve in any meaningful way.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Is it? I've used it a few times and not had a problem. I do hang back for 40 odd minutes though as it's a scrum to get out when people are walking through the tunnel.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it? I've used it a few times and not had a problem. I do hang back for 40 odd minutes though as it's a scrum to get out when people are walking through the tunnel.
Pretty much any car park near a PL football ground is a ballache to get out of immediately after the game……….official (Bournemouth for example) or unofficial

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The club's board of directors and executive team, in conjunction with the Fan Advisory Board, are planning to review the matchday travel scheme, which has been in operation since the Amex opened in 2011.

No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards, with the following objectives:

• To investigate if there is a fairer model with better choice for fans, currently there is a 'one-size-fits-all' approach and some fans benefit more than others
  • To continue to liaise with third-party providers and the local authority (as we do proactively and continuously) to investigate improvements for fans
  • To review current legislation, which can be restrictive, and see if red tape can be removed to make it easier and more cost effective for the club and fans
  • To review costs for the club, which have increased considerably, particularly in the past year, and where possible remove those which are unnecessary or ineffective
  • Improve operational efficiencies and investigate if better use of data and technology can help improve the overall service and reduce club’s costs
  • I will be surprised if they can come up with a fairer alternative, but sometimes that is the point.
  • My main hope is that this really puts Southern in the spot light. The threat of removing a lucrative revenue stream, just might force them to start considering how they might improve the service. There are open goals here even Aaron Connelly after a night on the lash couldn't miss.
  • Red tape - concrete over the pond, nothing else fits here, let it be so.
  • Review costs - Southern again I hope.
  • Operational efficiencies - Southern how about providing electronic tickets to fans instead of treating football fans like second class citizens (sadly some still behave like third class idiots, especially the more neadrethal away fans) That way the club can pay for the number of people using your service, rather than the number of people you have turned away with late and short trains.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My random guess is they will at least look at reducing the size of the rail travel zone to being just between Brighton ( Including Preston Park and Hove ) and Lewes.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
obvious outcome as its costing club is no travel scheme and prices frozen (you'll be told you wouldve had an increase otherwise) BUT wasnt the allowance to build the stadium on agreement for a travel scheme? Further thoughts if its scrapped can you imagine getting through the stations showing a ticket will the railway barriers respond differently?
Then consider no rail transport club will have no obligation to provide free transport
whatever way you look at this is OBVIOUS the travel scheme will be scrapped - should it be? I argue no as believe it was conditional on the building of Amex

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I really hope that this time the " Fan Advisory Panel ' will be able to solicit the views of all fans. We need a way to be able to provide input to these folks who so far appear to have been kept largely out of sight....

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only quote from PB in the past has been it is Out of there control so for them to be taking an interest is a big step forward. I have used all methods of transport.
Seagull Travel. Very good service but now very expensive ( frustrating for users as surcharge on ST for transport ) and understand because of this not many running at full capacity. Maybe should put out to tender to give other companies opportunity to quote.
Car Parking. Cannot see this changing and delays understandable with so many wanting to get away at same time, Hopefully at least some of Bennetts field will come back in use. If so, interesting that recent application were creating another exit .
Trains. I find it hard to believe for the large sum we must pay that we don't have some input into service to be provided. Maybe I am simplifying it but surely when original agreement was signed minimum service agreement was included. Eg Min no of carriages and no of trains in hour before and after games
Park and Ride Not a bad service from Mill Road but so often doesnt seem to have enough buses. Also frustrating have to get there so early to get a space.. Even more frustrating if full one has to travel across Brighton to Race course. What happened to assurance at time that the Mithras House park and Ride will be replaced.
Planning was given to widen steps to bus park and would be good to see this done. On basis can sometimes wait an hour for a P&R Bus after games I would also like to see shelter constructed for queuing area.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
My random guess is they will at least look at reducing the size of the rail travel zone to being just between Brighton ( Including Preston Park and Hove ) and Lewes.
They only relatively recently expanded the travel zone. Would be hugely disappointing for thousands if they did this simply to cut costs.

I don't think they will but clearly the scheme needs a revamp

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I suspect this is a bid to make serious cutbacks based on the mention of removing red tape (rules that were vital in getting permission granted) a far smaller travel zone perhaps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here