Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion to launch matchday travel scheme review

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst we’re talking all sorts of schemes I reckon there should be a footbridge where the Bridge car park tunnel is and after matches no pedestrians allowed through the tunnel at all. Will never happen but another thing that could help the experience

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is the club paying Southern Railways/the Government for 30,000 fans using the train service, or does the payment just cover the cost of the fans who actually use it?

The club already has different season tickets for kids, adults, over 65's etc.. Just expand the categories to include "with or without" travel to matches. Fans can then choose to pay extra if they want travel included (train/park and ride) and they buy a match with travel season ticket. People walking, biking, paying to use car parks, or already paying for Seagull Travel coach season tickets can have match season tickets without travel to matches included.
"Just" ? How does that work without checking masses of tickets at Brighton / Falmer Station ? It would be grim.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unless the club are somehow able to make the trains run on time in a Mussolini stylee, then highly suspect it'll be a largely cosmetic exercise with more downside (reduction of free travel zone) than upside (addition of taxi rank). Most suggestions re transport options have been discussed to death on here since forever. The big intrigue is that the club are finally getting involved

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Worst case, the travel scheme is ditched, then it would add on up to £150 to get to and from the game (train from Worthing). That, as of next season would make the cheapest season ticket cost theoretically £715. That's a lot of season ticket cancellations then

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’d be surprised if the club reduces the travel scheme with the changes being more focused on choice, allowing supporters to opt in / out or redeploy where the fee goes (coach etc)

Had wondered if there was to be any cut back in support whether they would remove the travel zone for away supporters first (unsure of how we structure our away prices)

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Worst case, the travel scheme is ditched, then it would add on up to £150 to get to and from the game (train from Worthing). That, as of next season would make the cheapest season ticket cost theoretically £715. That's a lot of season ticket cancellations then
I really can't see that happening. Also, any changes will be from the 24/25 season as the article says.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
it's a scrum to get out when people are walking through the tunnel.
The tunnel isn’t the problem. (Cars and pedestrians make it through quite amicably IMO) It’s the lights!! As others have said, they remain red for SO LONG when there is very little traffic in the other direction. It’s daft and IMO easily fixed! Same on the falmer road. Why on earth they aren’t manually controlled is beyond me.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A Zip wire / ski lift type device from Brighton station would be good!

Or sell MaCallister for £100m to Chelsea and use all the money for a monorail to and from Brighton station. It could be then called the Big Mac.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
…and misinterpreting greedy millionaires meant Tony too. Moreover the context of the discussion was taking money OUT of the game, not putting IN, so they compounded their misinterpretation with a 2nd mistake because Tony will never fit into the first category. Thereafter they just got angry and started blithering on about spare parts and tomato boxes but by then they were so far down the wrong path it wasn’t worth going after and besides, it was quite amusing.

In summary, I was perhaps too subtle. Football must ever make more money because there are many already very wealthy individuals wanting more and more and more…it’s endless, insatiable. In a word, greed.
Blithering you say ? 😂😂😂

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The tunnel isn’t the problem. (Cars and pedestrians make it through quite amicably IMO) It’s the lights!! As others have said, they remain red for SO LONG when there is very little traffic in the other direction. It’s daft and IMO easily fixed! Same on the falmer road. Why on earth they aren’t manually controlled is beyond me.
They are manually controlled on The Drove…….certainly after the game anyway.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
In terms of exiting that car park, which I agree is horrendous, I'm really not sure what can be done.

That volume of vehicles all trying to leave at the same time, single-file, through a narrow runnel and immediately hitting a major set of traffic lights is not going to be easy to improve in any meaningful way.
Use the exit in the other corner
They should let cars exit at the southwest corner of the car park onto Lucraft Road. Residents might complain but would only be for an hour each game. Why has this never been proposed?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021

The club's board of directors and executive team, in conjunction with the Fan Advisory Board, are planning to review the matchday travel scheme, which has been in operation since the Amex opened in 2011.

No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards, with the following objectives:

• To investigate if there is a fairer model with better choice for fans, currently there is a 'one-size-fits-all' approach and some fans benefit more than others
  • To continue to liaise with third-party providers and the local authority (as we do proactively and continuously) to investigate improvements for fans
  • To review current legislation, which can be restrictive, and see if red tape can be removed to make it easier and more cost effective for the club and fans
  • To review costs for the club, which have increased considerably, particularly in the past year, and where possible remove those which are unnecessary or ineffective
  • Improve operational efficiencies and investigate if better use of data and technology can help improve the overall service and reduce club’s costs
Yes some fans lose out BUT Falmer was always sold on basis train travel. If you arrive by other means thats your choice. Its not like anyone didnt know this. Although a tenner or whatever it is to travel if travel included in ticket is withdrawn will it make much difference? No other than costing fans more. That will put fans off be more selective but fans will still travel by train. Little to no other choice. What its likely to do is increase train compensation claims. Will fan
I like the principle of having travel included in the ticket; it’s what many progressive cities do these days for big events.

But equally I can understand the opposition to this because the public travel options are so shit.
BUT if the ticket did not include travel, how many fans will alter their means of transport? Very few I suggest.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The more I think about it then if this is about cost cutting I think any bus/train travel west of Portslade, north of Preston Park and east of Lewes may be vulnerable to cut back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The more I think about it then if this is about cost cutting I think any bus/train travel west of Portslade, north of Preston Park and east of Lewes may be vulnerable to cut back.
Practically would be a nightmare to police wouldn’t it ?………I’d buy a train ticket from my local station (no barriers) to Preston Park but stay on the train into Brighton ? Can’t see them doing ticket checks within that 10 minute stretch. Whilst this may already be happening for people travelling in from outside the current travel inclusive zone the numbers would jump massively if the zone was reduced that much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here