Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We're not the worst .......

Reading
In: None.
Out: , Daniel Carrico (Sevilla, £1.5m), Adam Le Fondre (Cardiff City, £1m), Stuart Taylor (Leeds United), Matt Partridge (Dagenham & Readbridge).
Released: Mikele Leigertwood, Wayne Bridge, Kaspars Gorkss, Jobi McAnuff, Lawson D'Ath, Nick Arnold, Gozie Ugwu.

True - they're having an overhaul and in the process of a takeover so not unexpected. We're the second worst along with Middlesboro who seem to be linked with many of the same players we are. Hmmm

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Promotion to the Premiership is worth £134 million.
Do Leicester think we are really going to give up the opportunity to get that amount of money by selling our only forward for £6m....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I agree re Chicksen but how much can we rely on youth spread through the team? I guess we'll find out a bit in the pre season tour as we don't actually have other options at the moment.

Chicksen is almost 23, so probably beyond the 'youth' category. If we're not going to use him as first choice for the next 2 seasons, then you'd have to question the point of keeping him. I can't imagine him wanting to stay either for similar reasons, particularly as he's already had a season in League 1.

Edit to add: I was impressed when he replaced Ward against Blackpool; I'd be happy with him as first choice LB.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Telegraph says £7.5million

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Brighton have complete control here. We're not looking to sell because we don't need to. So we have every right to hold off for a large (and overpriced) sum. Unless Ulloa starts going a Bridcutt, I can't see him leaving for much less than the club's valuation.

I agree that (so far) Ulloa seems fairly happy and does not appear to have had his head turned, unlike Bridders. Plus no other club appears to be competing with LCFC for Ulloa - otherwise we might see this intensify. I suppose if Poyet whispered in Leo's ear then it could get very interesting and Leicester might up their bid.

The Albion are doing the right thing here - Leo is our player and if you want to prise him away then it has to be at the going rate, and the McCormack deal just made that harder.

While I do not wish to see Leo move on, it would be difficult to resist anything significantly north of £7.5m. That ought to be sufficient to attract a decent-ish replacement and have some change. Everyone has their price.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You could say the same about Stephen Ward, these guys are not going to willingly take a big cut in wages to come here, especially Wood who would probably get more money from about half the clubs in the Championship, should he be available.

Upson has taken the money to be a sub only as well I imagine?

Christ I'm a negative **** at the moment :down:

I'm glad you posted that as I've been reading your comment on this thread and thinking that you're being unusually negative!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Parachute payment clubs have inflated the cost of players yet again in the Championship. We will struggle to sign a player as reliable as Ulloa. If we do sell him we'll want to replace him with a player that costs less (or else why sell him?) - but the difference between what we get and what we pay for the new player amounts to the stake in our gamble.

[Of course - as with Bridcutt - if the player really wants to go, then it doesn't really matter what the club want]

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
True - they're having an overhaul and in the process of a takeover so not unexpected. We're the second worst along with Middlesboro who seem to be linked with many of the same players we are. Hmmm

It seems 'Boro are buying Kike, the 2nd top scorer from the Spanish Segunda Liga, from Real Murcia.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Those saying sell him. Have you ever seen him play?

I have, and he misses too many chances and goes to floor too easily to be worth more than 4-5m.

He has also missed 2/2 penalties; the second of which is the worst to have been seen at the Amex so far.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Does anyone know if there is a sell on clause? if it's 20% for example, 6m wouldnt be enough to sell assuming we paid 2.5m for him. Not enough profit in that for me. Then we still have to get a quality replacement in.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I keep saying, that for all his faults, Ulloa is a rare commodity, particularly at our level. A big, fairly mobile, target man. Holds the ball up well. Can take a buffeting and decent in the air. All these fans advocating sell..sell..sell....lets hear some options/alternatives. All I've read is Glenn Murray, Bobby Zamora, Conor Wickham and Chris Wood, none of whom will be coming here.
Thats the problem...the money is tempting but you ain't gonna get a like-for-like replacement. They aren't around at our level of spend.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
From a outsiders perspective, £7 mill would be good business.
The problem lies with who will replace him ?
I would guess the majority of the fee will be kept back for FFP purposes, maybe allowing £2/3mill on a replacement/s.
Also is there a sell on fee to his previous club ?
Some of the names mentioned as replacements ( Rhodes, Murray,Wickham) won't happen due your salary cap, so someone like Baldock would seem the sensible choice ( £2 mill fee max and £10/15 k wages per week )

Can't see him staying now, it's just how much you will receive .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports