Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion reject "final" Leicester bid for Ulloa

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
How is it great business?
He's the target man, he holds the ball up brilliantly, he knocks the centre backs about, he has great feet, good in the air... Oh and he scores - a lot.

We would have to lash out at least that to replace him like for like.

So let's keep him eh.

We signed him for what, £2m in the first place? With decent scouting you could easily get a like for like replacement for that price, leaving £6m to invest elsewhere

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Then why don't Leicester do that and save themselves a few quid?

Because they don't need to save themselves a few quid. They had no regard for FFP rulings when they were in this division and now they have a shit load of Premier League money as well. It's like asking why a multi millionaire doesn't get his clothes from the Salvation Army shop

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We signed him for what, £2m in the first place? With decent scouting you could easily get a like for like replacement for that price, leaving £6m to invest elsewhere

Exactly. Good scouting and speculating on unproven players is how clubs like BHA will progress (especially in the FFP climate).

Selling a player for 7-8m that we could possibly replace for 1-2m is outstanding business.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Exactly. Good scouting and speculating on unproven players is how clubs like BHA will progress (especially in the FFP climate).

Selling a player for 7-8m that we could possibly replace for 1-2m is outstanding business.

So how long do we wait to find this player that costs £2m and scores 20 plus a season 1 year, 2 years, longer?

They really are not easy to find why clubs like Leicester will pay over the odds.

Any players we are sniffing around values will go up when the clubs know we have £7m to spend.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Not if it cost nearly as much to replace him as 20 goal a season strikers cost megabucks
That's where you have to some faith in the scouting system at the club. A 'name' striker would obviously have some hefty financial costs but we picked up Ulloa for a reasonable cost in the first place, no reason it can't happen again.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Leicester City should put up or shut up. Trying to unsettle one of our best players with cheapo bids when they've got serious wonga in the bank is a total insult. I used to think Nigel Pearson was a decent bloke. Maybe I got that wrong(maybe he has nothing to do with the bidding process). :smokin:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What would we think to a 6m plus Chris Wood bid?

My thoughts exactly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but to think we had the option to sign him for a mere fraction of his current asking price when we had him on loan during our promotion season from League One. He would be a fine acquisition for us.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My thoughts exactly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but to think we had the option to sign him for a mere fraction of his current asking price when we had him on loan during our promotion season from League One. He would be a fine acquisition for us.

Exactly, hindsight. No one was sorry to see him go (interesting to see the comments on NSC back then). As it happens, he has turned into a half-decent front man.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
bod.jpg

bod.jpg

bod.jpg

???

Brilliant! I was going to comment on that, but this pretty much says it all…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's where you have to some faith in the scouting system at the club. A 'name' striker would obviously have some hefty financial costs but we picked up Ulloa for a reasonable cost in the first place, no reason it can't happen again.

Great, it took two years to replace Murray, who we should never have let go, with Ulloa and even longer to replace BZ with Murray. I have no faith that the club can find a quality striker before the season starts once we sell Ulloa. We will get a striker or two but our record of signing strikers that know where the net is is probably the worst in the division.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How is it great business?
He's the target man, he holds the ball up brilliantly, he knocks the centre backs about, he has great feet, good in the air... Oh and he scores - a lot.

We would have to lash out at least that to replace him like for like.

So let's keep him eh.

Financially it makes all the sense in the world, especially if you look to all the other areas of the squad that are thought to need improving.

As much as we all want a top-notch striker, they'd be fairly pointless if the team/squad behind them is lacking. A 7m injection could go some way to remedying that.

As for replacing him like for like, there are numerous examples of quality strikers being unearthed for very reasonable prices, it just takes the scouting to find them (Ulloa) or the faith to take the leap in the first place.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
What would we think to a 6m plus Chris Wood bid?

I'd take that happily and I was one of Wood's biggest critics when he was here but he seems to have come on a lot since then.

We could then use some of the £6m on Murray and Zamora and have all our old strikers back.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Great, it took two years to replace Murray, who we should never have let go, with Ulloa and even longer to replace BZ with Murray. I have no faith that the club can find a quality striker before the season starts once we sell Ulloa. We will get a striker or two but our record of signing strikers that know where the net is is probably the worst in the division.

That's my biggest concern as our record of signing decent strikers over the last few years has seen a lot more failures than success.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We will get a striker or two but our record of signing strikers that know where the net is is probably the worst in the division.

We signed Murray who went on to score er, 30+ goals in the Champ and got Palace promoted to Prem.
We signed Ulloa who has seemingly increased his valuation from £2m to £7.5m-10m in the space of 18 months and scores "a goal a game"*
*almost
We signed Barnes who was sold to champ winning team + will presumably play in the Prem* next season...
*sit on the bench.
CMS and Hoskins - unlucky with both due to injuries but CMS certainly knows how to find the net.
and not forgetting Chris Wood...
and our judgement re: Lewis Grabban was probably correct although we obviously messed up there somewhere along the line.

So The worst ? Thats not bad I'd say in recent years. Far better than most Champ clubs.

* and before you mention our loan strikers in last 3 years eg: Lita, Paynter, Vokes (blimey), Obika, Rodriguez were hardly great loanees but then they were only ever meant to be back ups and in the end had only handful of starts amongst them. None of them were signed in hope that they would play 40+ games a season. If you're looking for back ups then unlikely you're going to land someone amazing... unlike CMS, Barnes, Murray, Ulloa, Wood etc.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
FFP is with us whether we like it or not. What is we need to be within this season? A loss of £8 million (I know this has been covered a million times on these pages before so apologies if I have this wrong).

If we get anything over £6 million for Ulloa I think that would represent a very good bit of business and would go a long way to shoring up the FFP numbers for the year. I've no urge to lose a proven striker but if he's already resolved to go we may as well sell. The Bridcutt episode shows us there is no point continuing to pay the wages of somebody that has no urge to stay on so it's time to cash in.

How much to get FFS Murray back? Judas to Jesus in a single step. :lol:

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
If McCormack is worth £11m then Ulloa is definitely worth at least £9m as he is a different type of striker with bags of potential and would be going to the Prem, not Championship like RM. Like it or not, prices in the Prem are higher.

Also, RM is a similar player to a lot of strikers but Ulloa can hold the play up, play others in and can finish well. His stats for last season and before when he was new to the league and also injured prove that with te right service he would be prolific.

IMO we have never played to his strengths yet he still has a good scoring record.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
City have had three previous bods for the 27-year-old rejected and their fourth offer is believed to have been over £6 million, which would have smashed City’s club record transfer fee paid for a player.

However, the Seagulls are standing firm on their desire to hold on to Ulloa, who they have valued at £10 million.
So our club have said it would take £10m to sell, and despite that, Leicester have taken 4 bids to get over £6m? Bit odd. I'm not saying we wouldn't sell for under £10m, but when you're that far away on your 4th bid, what the hell were the other bids?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Looks like it at the moment. Compare our ratio of outs to ins compared with all our rivals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...49593/Championship-Summer-Transfers-2014.html

If Ulloa isn't the hold up then we are making a pigs ear of it again. But I think Ulloa is the hold up regarding both requirements and budget.

We're not the worst .......

Reading
In: None.
Out: , Daniel Carrico (Sevilla, £1.5m), Adam Le Fondre (Cardiff City, £1m), Stuart Taylor (Leeds United), Matt Partridge (Dagenham & Readbridge).
Released: Mikele Leigertwood, Wayne Bridge, Kaspars Gorkss, Jobi McAnuff, Lawson D'Ath, Nick Arnold, Gozie Ugwu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here