Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion receive go ahead to increase capacity from just over 30,000 to 32,500

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Which games?

Could this be a case of a false memory created by the awful results and recruitment of the Hyypia era?

Our average attendance that season was 25.645 which put us third in the Championship for attendance. The lowest gate is reported as 23,044 on wiki.

Not true, all attendances all well over 20,000 for league matches.

The Wigan Athletic home match was 15-16,000. Confirmed, I think, by an information request. The ground was clearly half full. I remember commenting at the time.

The attendance v actual bums on seats always has a differential.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Why are people moaning? Bloom wants to maximize the potential of The Amex, he is in the process of doing that. Even if we get relegated there will be opportunities where the increased capacity will be needed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why are people moaning? Bloom wants to maximize the potential of The Amex, he is in the process of doing that. Even if we get relegated there will be opportunities where the increased capacity will be needed.

And these stadium changes aren't just for one season. TB is, as ever, looking long term. We, as ever, can't see beyond the end of our noses.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
And these stadium changes aren't just for one season. TB is, as ever, looking long term. We, as ever, can't see beyond the end of our noses.

Too true, who cares if we dont fill it if we fall down to:clap2: The Championship. There will always be occasions when we need the biggest capacity possible, to qualify the stadia for tournaments, if we do well in any division, a glamour cup - tie, all catered for in the event of any event happening.:clap2:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The core support will always be there.
As each year passes we're gaining new fans that no longer see supporting Man United as a better option than watching us at Withdean.
4 years of Prem football will have attracted some new faces.
Covid lockdowns mean there'll be a built want to go and see live sport.

Yes some of the Prem plastics will drop away, but if we dropped down to the Championship our attendances will be fine.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Wigan Athletic home match was 15-16,000. Confirmed, I think, by an information request. The ground was clearly half full. I remember commenting at the time.

Tickets sold is all that matters though. I’m not sure I care if someone’s cat has died and they couldn’t make it (RIP the cat obvs)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tickets sold is all that matters though. I’m not sure I care if someone’s cat has died and they couldn’t make it (RIP the cat obvs)

I always thought match attendance was the amount of people who attend a match.

Maybe it's a good time to commit a crime. I could tell the police I was at the AMEX and use the attendance figures to prove it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

But for this purpose bums on seats means nothing. It's tickets sold the club care about. If you attend that's great because they can sell you food and drink but ultimately its 31,800 seats they can sell...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Maybe it's a good time to commit a crime. I could tell the police I was at the AMEX and use the attendance figures to prove it.

you'd better not let slip you saw a home win in your defense, they'll know you weren't there. :laugh:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think there was a point where we were about the only club in the top divisions measuring it that way. That made the figure useless for comparison. I know a lot of people hark back to the old days of actual attendance but those numbers were often inaccurate because of tax ‘accounting,’crafty cash payments to gatemen and kids slipping under turnstiles without paying. All in all I don’t think accuracy is much of an argument so we might as well measure the same way as other clubs. From a clubs point of view it’s all about selling tickets anyway.
I appreciate others strongly disagree though and I may have derailed this thread into one about ‘pretendance.’

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
you'd better not let slip you saw a home win in your defense, they'll know you weren't there. :laugh:

That would have been a good match for it though. A rare win under Sami.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bit of a shame virtually all the new seats will be corporate, won't really impact the waiting list.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Bit of a shame virtually all the new seats will be corporate, won't really impact the waiting list.

I think the majority of addition seating will "ordinary" seats. The north stand shelf won't seat more than 5 or 6 hundred and the corner will be less than a 100.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
It was more like 27-28K in the seasons where we we’re top 6, and that was with most empty seats in the away end!

You are referring to supporters who had attended games well back in the past, i feel that those who have watched the Albion since the Amex was built will not be as likely to watch us in the Championship

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You are referring to supporters who had attended games well back in the past, i feel that those who have watched the Albion since the Amex was built will not be as likely to watch us in the Championship

They are referring to attendances prior to promotion to the Premier League when we spent 6 years in the Championship and the average attendance grew as the stadium was expanded. Although there would probably be a drop off if we got relegated it wouldn’t be huge and most would be back as soon as we were showing signs of being at the top end of the Championship and there was a real chance of PL football again.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

No, I’m referring to the Amex era. This is our 10th season there now, and 6 of those have been in the Championship. In the first season we only had a capacity of around 22K as the East upper and the 4 corners hadn’t been completed, but in all 5 Championship seasons after that, we averaged between 25-28K.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here