Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion players on international duty - September 2023

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Albion have had 22 players (across all age groups) called up for international duty during this September international break, if my investigations are accurate. One of these, Imari Samuels, was a late addition to the England U-20 squad for a training camp that won't feature a match against any opposition; in all other cases there are fixtures scheduled.

The 22 names do not include Evan Ferguson, who has had to withdraw from the ROI squad due to injury. Julio Enciso and Jakub Moder are also not on the list, of course, through injury. James Furlong was originally on the list but has since made a permanent switch to Hull City.

We therefore have 21 players involved in fixtures throughout the next seven days (from Wednesday to Tuesday).

The action kicks off today (Wednesday) with the following Albion involvements:

Cam Peupion is in the Australian U-23 squad for their AFC 2024 U-23 Asian Cup Group I qualifier against Laos (to be staged in Tajikistan which is hosting the group). North Korea were drawn in this group but subsequently withdrew so the Aussies will play only one other fixture (against Tajikistan) next Tuesday.

Jack Hinshelwood is in the England U-19 squad for their friendly fixture against Germany. The match is being hosted at the Oliva Nova Football Centre in Valencia. England (coached by former Albion U-18s and U-21s/23s coach Simon Rusk) will also face Switzerland on Saturday.

Freddie Simmonds (who has only just captained the England U-16s in Italy) is in the England U-17 squad for a friendly against Portugal at the Pinatar Arena in Spain. England also face Morocco on Saturday and Spain next Tuesday.

**Note: Previous experience suggests that there is minimal interest in the international break on NSC (particularly as the break progresses). I don't mind writing up the forthcoming action like this on a daily basis but I'm not going to do it if nobody cares. So, if you find this post of interest and want this to continue, engage with this thread however you see fit.
Fantastic work thank you

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Actually, he isn't. You wouldn't expect Reuters to get something wrong but I can only assume they have perhaps started with a previous squad, made changes and accidentally left his name in. The report states (correctly) that it is a 34-man squad but then it lists (incorrectly) 35 names.
Buonanotte is not in the squad as per the X feed of the Argentina FA:-

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I worry about Tariq a bit. He was out of Sunday’s selection because of a knock wasn’t he? He’s looked to be returning to his pre-hamstring nightmare form recently, and I wouldn’t want him playing hurt over the next week.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I worry about Tariq a bit. He was out of Sunday’s selection because of a knock wasn’t he? He’s looked to be returning to his pre-hamstring nightmare form recently, and I wouldn’t want him playing hurt over the next week.
The nature of his game is that he will pick up knocks, I just hope the hamstrings hold up.
I'm still unsure why he missed Sunday, but personally would have preferred that none of our players were called up but got some rest and squad gelling time with the newer players.
Don't get me wrong, i'm pleased our players are getting international recognition but we quite clearly struggled with fixture pile up last season, and over the last few weeks...

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
… nor flying to the USA and back in the same week. See post 129.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here