Albion close in on striker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Manchester United and Kenny Cooper are in agreement that a loan to another club might be the best move for the young forward prospect.

"I think a loan will help," the player told YA. "I signed a three-year deal, and I'm in my third year. My goal was to be knocking on the door of the first team within that time."

"I'm not sure [if I am], but I hope I am close. At the same time, the important thing is to focus on what I have each day. Even though (the first team) is my goal, I have an opportunity each day."

"[Club officials and I] obviously sit down together and talk. Obviously, I want to stay with Manchester United, but sometimes they think that there's too big a gap between first team and reserves."

While the two sides see a loan as a good opportunity for the Texas native, it is still uncertain as to which club Cooper will be loaned out.

"I don't know if Manchester United look for teams to loan players out to, it's more that the other teams come looking at Manchester United," Cooper explained.

"If I go out on loan, Manchester United will still watch me, maybe even a little bit more so."

Could be the first yank to play for the Albion since the great Tony Meola.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
dcseagull said:
Manchester United and Kenny Cooper are in agreement that a loan to another club might be the best move for the young forward prospect.

"I think a loan will help," the player told YA. "I signed a three-year deal, and I'm in my third year. My goal was to be knocking on the door of the first team within that time."

"I'm not sure [if I am], but I hope I am close. At the same time, the important thing is to focus on what I have each day. Even though (the first team) is my goal, I have an opportunity each day."

"[Club officials and I] obviously sit down together and talk. Obviously, I want to stay with Manchester United, but sometimes they think that there's too big a gap between first team and reserves."

While the two sides see a loan as a good opportunity for the Texas native, it is still uncertain as to which club Cooper will be loaned out.

"I don't know if Manchester United look for teams to loan players out to, it's more that the other teams come looking at Manchester United," Cooper explained.

"If I go out on loan, Manchester United will still watch me, maybe even a little bit more so."

Could be the first yank to play for the Albion since the great Tony Meola.

taken from a fans website...

Built like a brick shithouse, Cooper is an old fashioned English centre forward - except that he's American! Picked up from college football it seems unlikely that Cooper will make it at Old Trafford unless he progresses more rapidly than he has so far. In forward positions Giuseppe Rossi and Ebanks-Blake are ahead of him. As such, a lengthy loan spell could do him good in the 2005-6 season. A short spell at Academia in Portugal didn't work out and he then played fewer then ten games on loan at Oldham. It's hard to see Cooper being a long term fixture at Old Trafford.

Sounds more like one for the future.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Superseagull said:
taken from a fans website...

Built like a brick shithouse, Cooper is an old fashioned English centre forward - except that he's American! Picked up from college football it seems unlikely that Cooper will make it at Old Trafford unless he progresses more rapidly than he has so far. In forward positions Giuseppe Rossi and Ebanks-Blake are ahead of him. As such, a lengthy loan spell could do him good in the 2005-6 season. A short spell at Academia in Portugal didn't work out and he then played fewer then ten games on loan at Oldham. It's hard to see Cooper being a long term fixture at Old Trafford.

Sounds more like one for the future.

Could be what we need. Someone who can actually finish.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Gullsworth said:
James Hayter would be a good gamble.........:lol:

James Hayter is well out of our league. Reports in the papers are that the likes of Everton are interested in him and Burnley are rumoured to be bidding £700K+ for him following Abinikyi's departure.

More fuel to the Kenny Cooper fire is this little nugget from the Man Utd website.....

There is also the possibility that Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Kenny Cooper could enter loan deals, with Reserves boss Rene Meulensteen confirming that both had been the subject of interest.

God I hope we sign someone, just to boost moral in the club if nothing else!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't understand how Lee Barnard isn't playing at least at Championship level at the moment - 18 goals in the reserve league for Spurs last season and 14 in his last 8 matches, the guy is hot.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
I can't understand how Lee Barnard isn't playing at least at Championship level at the moment - 18 goals in the reserve league for Spurs last season and 14 in his last 8 matches, the guy is hot.

19 this season as well

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Pavilionaire said:

Is he available for loan?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Would have thought so. Not getting much of a look-in at first-team level, yet has just been given a new two-year contract, so a loan would seem the logical move.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Daryl Clare's a class player, although has struggled to settle at any club as I recall, and I don't think he's played much above League Two before.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Spurs are loaning out the likes of Davenport, Ziegler and Routledge you'd think they'd also want to loan out Barnard.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Woody the Seagull said:
..but i thought that we were signing a "proven league 1 striker" for a "modest fee"???

i could be wrong but i thought it said with 'league 1 experiance' not 'proven league 1 striker'. cooper played 5 games for oldham scoring 3 goals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that all will be revealed tomorrow.

At least we do know it will have to be a loan to play tomorrow as the deadline has passed fora permanent signing in time for tomorrow. He could of course sign one permanently but not play him tomorrow he has until midnight tomorrow to do that or 5.15 for a loan signing.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
3 hours befor kick off for loan player to play isnt it. dont intend to nitpick bg but isnt that 4.45?
not that it really matters as you would hope all the paperwork would be done before then anyway.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If we bring someone in on loan, does that mean we can't sign them permanently until the summer?

Or can we loan someone in and then make the deal permanent before the window shuts?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad said:
I am sure that all will be revealed tomorrow.

At least we do know it will have to be a loan to play tomorrow as the deadline has passed fora permanent signing in time for tomorrow. He could of course sign one permanently but not play him tomorrow he has until midnight tomorrow to do that or 5.15 for a loan signing.

Sorry I mistyped it I meant to put 4.15 being 3 hours before the match but the team sheet has to be given to the ref 30 mins before the game so I assume that makes the total time 3 hours 30 mins i.e 4.15

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports