Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion announce £67 million losses for 2019/20

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I don’t think that’s that bad? Southampton have higher losses than us. I imagine we’d be mid table in income losses once all 20 are announced

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Andy Naylor's article in The Athletic suggests that loss of revenue is worse than the worst case scenario, but it's not all doom and gloom. The loan against future revenue cleared the Barclays overdraft, so as structured finance, I would guess it's cheaper. It also allows Tony to use his funding in other areas. No pressure to sell star players unless a huge offer comes in that's right for club and player. Future player sales will be part of the plan when replacements are ready from within developed at lower cost. Base costs of Monks Farm have been covered and should provide a revenue stream soon and players values have dramatically increased by our young stars which is not represented in the accounts. No need for worry. Tony has kept the club strong and stable despite having to take a massive financial hit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say, very disappointing. There was a spelling mistake in the report. Not acceptable. Under the graph for 'average weekly wage', decade is missing the second 'd'!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Still want to watch all the games on BT and SKY for free?

It certainly isn't free as to guarantee all home games you have to subscribe to three service providers.

Clubs have to technically give away more of their "product" under the current arrangement, but you could equally argue if there wasn't any coverage at all what's left of commercial income (advertising, etc..) would completely disappear.

Where the clubs made a mistake was pushing for per view. They aren't allowed legally to set the price so that was left up to the broadcasters. Sky really don't want a pay per view service on their platform because a) they've tried it before and it didn't work b) it competes with their subscriber model.

It may sound counter-initiative that more football means fewer profits, but broadcasters often cannibalise themselves like that and get in a mess. Arguably Sky are in a bit of mess with internal "competing" products under different brands like NowTV.

Sky set a high price to deter subscribers from cancelling in the knowledge they wouldn't make a penny out it anyway. The profits would go to the clubs.

It was never gonna work at that price, but the broadcasters wouldn't allow it at a lower one.

It's a difficult situation but don't blame the viewers or fans. I don't remember demonstrations outside Parliament asking for all games to be on live tv.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Send the bills to China.

donald-trump_3470953b.jpg

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The player arms race has to stop. Looks like football is unsustainable in both the PL and the Championship

Agree with this when a fairly average squad and wages at this level amounts to 78% of your revenue then player wages are just not on this planet. Greed of players and agents killing the game.

We also have an unusually low amount of player sales to offset the losses and we will not recoup the outlay we made for Locadia, Ali J or anywhere near the value for Duffy following his nightmare at Celtic. We seem to loan rather than sell out of favour players which is odd against the backdrop of these losses.

Longer term the model is clearly buy promise from abroad and bring youngsters through the academy and sell for huge profit with Bissouma and White likely to be the first fruit form that policy this summer.

Overall when you look at that table of operating losses in the PL for all clubs and consider our history you can’t help but lose a bit more love for the game as it stands today

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t think that’s that bad? Southampton have higher losses than us. I imagine we’d be mid table in income losses once all 20 are announced

Its no disaster. Its not like Barcelona's one billion debt and needing to tell their players "sorry... we pay you... later". But still numbers that explain a lot about why the club is not investing in all those fancy schmancy players and all the decisions in recent years (like not doing batshit transfers from the Eredivisie, getting a coach actually willing to use the academy and change to a style of football that sponsors, rich buying clubs and others want to put their money in) trying to create a more sustainable football club. Unlike some, TB both seem to understand and need to care about the football financial bubble. The next Premier League TV deal is widely expected to be lower than the current one and one ITV Digital scenario away from hell breaking loose.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“ Chief executive Paul Barber, on the list of many a head hunter if media reports are correct, saw his pay rise to over £2million, ”

He must be paid by the word.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know it’s a drop in the ocean, but maybe if those of us who can afford it bought a few things from the shop...
Get some perspective fella, Barbs is still gonna pick up his £2m salary, Lallana is still going to pick up his ridiculous salary for being a sick note and your asking people to buy tat from the club shop :lolol:

Owning a football club is a hobby for millionaires don’t feel bad for them because they’ve had a tough couple of seasons.

If you wish to donate during the pandemic I’m sure you will find more worthwhile causes helping real people with real problems.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Summer window is going to be interesting, I think we will see a lot of lower fees/free transfers/loans as clubs are trying to just get players off the books.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This shows the importance of getting players like Jahanbakhsh and Locadia off the books - for both the wages and the high transfer fee ammortisation amounts.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I think covid has highlighted the cost of modern football is out of control and out of touch with us . Sure playing football is a short career but when players are getting x 3 a week what most people get in a year it is disgusting .
during our second season at withdean I worked as a club steward- it was the only way to see the games , one of the guys I worked with earned £11grand a year driving hospital cars and his wife £9 grand a year as a part time nurse .
Berbetov was on £130 grand a week at man u - it is a ridiculous comparison and highlights that the fact that couple are worth 10 each of berbetov but he gets the cash ----- a problem of society as well I suppose .
I hope it ends the obscene amount of cash the clubs/agents/players get .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Summer window is going to be interesting, I think we will see a lot of lower fees/free transfers/loans as clubs are trying to just get players off the books.

Agreed. To an extend I think this window has already shown that

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A shocking number that the wankpuffins up the road will be tugging themselves off to. Well let's wait and see what their numbers say, when they arrive late as usual for them.

There is naff all transfer activity this window and it remains to be seen whether prices return to 'normal' in the summer. If not, clubs will be unwilling to sell.

Its about riding out the storm and not dropping down a division until this virus era draws to a close. Only then can the big nobs in charge begin to address the numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here