Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion announce £67 million losses for 2019/20

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Because balancing the books isn't TB's objective, instead it's getting the best team he can afford on the pitch. It's his money after all.

Yes, he can sell a couple of players and have no losses, but that will be true next year, and the one after that, if push comes to shove. But I wouldn't bankroll a club I loved just to achieve 'balancing the books', I'd do it to achieve football success.

Perhaps. He is also likely to be trying to attract investors so perhaps he is willing to wear losses to ensure PL survival until that aim is achieved

Just leave this here.

https://youtu.be/mz7jhU321Y0

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only because attracting investment to a business is one function of management. That’s why I said ‘likely’ rather than ‘definitely.’ I would be surprised if all options aren’t considered given the size of the loss.

Surely the type of investment you'd attract to a 'distressed' business is not going to be as good as one that is performing well

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Surely the type of investment you'd attract to a 'distressed' business is not going to be as good as one that is performing well

I’m not sure the business is distressed. Barber gives a good explanation of the losses in the Seagulls tv interview above, as does the article in the OP. There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic going forwards. The issue is the current losses but if Tony isn’t worried about the cash flow of these last couple of years then he will just continue to underwrite these losses himself. I was just pointing out there are alternatives.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It was made clear time and time again the huge loss of revenue on match days coupled with the clear change of policy on buying players.

The only good news is other Premier League clubs will be even further in the shit then we are.

Do the maths: lost >25% of match day income down to £13.5m, so we can estimate £4.5m match day income loss. Doesn't make much of a dent in £67m.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A loss of that amount is the equivalent of Tony Bloom writing a cheque for £183,000 every day for an entire year.

Put that in ya pipe and smoke it!

Or for those that want to tell TB how to spend his money, 23,000 STHs each write a daily cheque for £7.95! Or just chip in the £2,904 for the year?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do the maths: lost >25% of match day income down to £13.5m, so we can estimate £4.5m match day income loss. Doesn't make much of a dent in £67m.

Do as much maths as you want to, the situation will only get worse

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Its no disaster. Its not like Barcelona's one billion debt and needing to tell their players "sorry... we pay you... later". But still numbers that explain a lot about why the club is not investing in all those fancy schmancy players and all the decisions in recent years (like not doing batshit transfers from the Eredivisie, getting a coach actually willing to use the academy and change to a style of football that sponsors, rich buying clubs and others want to put their money in) trying to create a more sustainable football club. Unlike some, TB both seem to understand and need to care about the football financial bubble. The next Premier League TV deal is widely expected to be lower than the current one and one ITV Digital scenario away from hell breaking loose.

Yep, see the Ligue 1 / Mediapro deal going tits-up for example

Well that's going well...

French football has plunged further into crisis after an emergency auction of TV rights ended without a suitable offer. The Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has said it will decide upon a new approach for selling its rights by Wednesday night, with fears that clubs will struggle to pay their staff without the restoration of a crucial source of revenue.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/french-football-crisis-deepens-tv-rights-offers-fail-to-reach-reserve-price-ligue-1-2

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Well that's going well...

French football has plunged further into crisis after an emergency auction of TV rights ended without a suitable offer. The Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has said it will decide upon a new approach for selling its rights by Wednesday night, with fears that clubs will struggle to pay their staff without the restoration of a crucial source of revenue.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/french-football-crisis-deepens-tv-rights-offers-fail-to-reach-reserve-price-ligue-1-2

The sad reality is that rather than thinking "christ, that could be us next", clubs will be thinking "I wonder if we can pinch some cheap players from French clubs".

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Its only my great love for Albion that always stops me hoping that to end the obscene money in PL TV companies pull the plug

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here