Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The ongoing battle for supremacy with his nemesis, the disdainful outside broadcast reporter, remains an absolute joy to watch. Poor old Alan thought he was on a winner last night, trying to get her to concede she was happy about her newly-announced wedding date. Not so fast Alan... :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I can't help being a Partridge fan through and through, but having read I, Partridge, and Nomad, plus enjoyed Mid Morning Matters and Alpha Papa, what the Gibbon's brothers have bought to Partridge is that you no longer laugh at him, there is more tragedy about him, like he's coming to terms with being a bit of a relic, but the detail and humour just pours out of him. Where Iannucci and Baynham scorned and even mocked Partridge, Alan is now a Shakespearean comic tradegy, Lynne transformed into a scheming Lady MacBeth whispering conspiratorially into his ear at every turn, Alan less poisonous but still unable to let simple things go. It is slightly painful, because day time telly is painful. The walk between couch and next set intentionally too long and awkward, the presenter dynamic striving on despite obvious contradiction or offense. I actually think it is great, the CPR scene had tears rolling down my cheeks, as did swearing librarian last night. He wants to evolve, but just can't. I'm probably liking Alan more than I've done since he first saw the jockey's breasts on The Day Today. I'm really not desperate to like it either.
Likewise. Put better than I could, although I completely agree with all of what you've said.

The Lynn bits have been superb....

"Sage advice?"

"The only thing sage about her is the colour of some of her clothes. Oh and she smells of stuffing"

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The ongoing battle for supremacy with his nemesis, the disdainful outside broadcast reporter, remains an absolute joy to watch. Poor old Alan thought he was on a winner last night, trying to get her to concede she was happy about her newly-announced wedding date. Not so fast Alan... :lolol:

That was brilliant. And when he repeated exactly the same point that she'd just agreed with and she disagreed.

"But I said that word for word...."

Going to have to watch it again. So many little bits that you miss.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's also classic "nobody comes out of this well" comedy.

The #meetoo woman they interviewed was painfully over enthusiastic and talked in awful mixed metaphors. I knew even before they cut to Alan's face that he'd pick her up on the "fuel in the turbo" line.

The guests are generally as bad as he is from a cringe perspective. It's quite brilliant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The #meetoo woman they interviewed was painfully over enthusiastic and talked in awful mixed metaphors. I knew even before they cut to Alan's face that he'd pick her up on the "fuel in the turbo" line.

The guests are generally as bad as he is from a cringe perspective. It's quite brilliant.

Alan's misuse of #metoo was horribly, inappropriately MAGNIFICENT :clap:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My other half can't stand the show. But then she likes Mrs Brown's sh**e. I put it to people that
don't like AP that if it's not for you, then come back Saturday night (or what seems to be
every f*****night) and get you fill of that cretinous nonsense.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Still watching 3rd and 4th repeats of the episodes so far, it's like Fawlty towers, I keep seeing things that I didn't see first or even second time.
For example last week, when Alan was trying to get Monty Don to do product placement in the hotel bar, who saw the couple behind them, and look when the camera cuts away and then goes back.
It's all very clever stuff.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The mother in-law jokes, so obvious but I couldn't help but laugh. I even thought the swollen lips were great. I thought it was a really good episode, excellent work!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just watched Monday’s episode. Best the possibly. Each week gets better and better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Now the Palace of Westminster might be known as the mother of Parliaments, but she's a mother who's seen better days. Worn out by the 600 members inside her."

The silent little sideways glance he gives after he considers what he just said is priceless. :lolol:

This show is a joy.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I think there are people on here that desperately want to like it and defend it, which is fair enough, I do too. But I just don't find it very funny. It's enjoyable but it just isn't classic AP. I shouldn't be enjoying it, I should be cringing and laughing in the same breath. The only redeeming factor for me is that he just looks totally bored at every new story.

Exactly how I feel.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
"Sage advice?"

"The only thing sage about her is the colour of some of her clothes. Oh and she smells of stuffing"

:lol:

With respect I don't want my hair to look like a cross between Margaret Thatcher's and a brown cloud.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Still watching 3rd and 4th repeats of the episodes so far, it's like Fawlty towers, I keep seeing things that I didn't see first or even second time.
For example last week, when Alan was trying to get Monty Don to do product placement in the hotel bar, who saw the couple behind them, and look when the camera cuts away and then goes back.
It's all very clever stuff.

I noticed that the 2nd time! Snogging away like there’s no tomorrow.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

The bit that really made me laugh was when he said 'I admit, I have stood by on the pavement with a group of men and slow hand clapped whilst watching a women try to reverse park'. :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My favourite bit from the last episode .. along the lines of .. "and I admit I've been part of the problem ...... I've slow hand clapped a woman trying to parallel park" .... ha ha ha

Good show

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The bit that really made me laugh was when he said 'I admit, I have stood by on the pavement with a group of men and slow hand clapped whilst watching a women try to reverse park'. :lolol:

"Now I would probably just....shout some advice"

"Or leave her alone"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here