[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
whatever the rights & wrongs of the action & the club's response, for me the bottom line is that it was clearly stated in the stadium terms that the throwing of objects etc was banned - there were circa 2000 others that didnt feel the need to throw items in the air when we scored.
As for the club's position, maybe their hands are tied by Ajax / UEFA rules, and have to be seen to be doing something when it has been pointed out to them.
As mentioned before, my experience was affected by being hit by one of the said projectiles, causing me to have a cut looked at by the Ajax medical team (who were brilliant). I'm sure the person who threw the cup would be mortified to hurt "one of our own" but I personally have little sympathy when people who threw items around get pulled out and held to account.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
A similar argument was used when the UK extended licensing; we all know how this went. Instead of heralding a new era, with a more mature relationship with alcohol, it gave the UK even more hours to pour even more alcohol down its throat. :shrug:
Maybe but despite it's bad rep for drinking, high alcohol consumption in the UK is way down the list Vs other European nations including your beloved Germany.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If everybody owned trousers, nobody would ever shit their pants.
if nobody owned trousers then nobody would shit their pants..... taking beer in to stand was predictably going to end up with some thrown in the air and some plastic cups being thrown around.

I didn't go to Marseille so does anyone know what happened there (other than the assault).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
if nobody owned trousers then nobody would shit their pants..... taking beer in to stand was predictably going to end up with some thrown in the air and some plastic cups being thrown around.

I didn't go to Marseille so does anyone know what happened there (other than the assault).
There was beer luzzing, certainly, but there is one key difference...

In Marseille, home fans weren't situated below the Albion fans facilitating luzzing down at them, so the luzzing that did take place only impacted other Albion fans.

It seems those (and we don't know how many it is) who have been reprimanded after the Ajax game, were caught luzzing, intentionally or otherwise, at the Ajax fans in the lower tier below where the Albion fans were situated.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not going through 23 pages of this, but have fans been banned over chucking beer?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There was beer luzzing, certainly, but there is one key difference...

In Marseille, home fans weren't situated below the Albion fans facilitating luzzing down at them, so the luzzing that did take place only impacted other Albion fans.

It seems those (and we don't know how many it is) who have been reprimanded after the Ajax game, were caught luzzing, intentionally or otherwise, at the Ajax fans in the lower tier below where the Albion fans were situated.
If our fans had stuff luzzed at them from above, I'd want our club to protest much as Ajax have done.

All these precious twats whining because they're getting what is a trivial 5 match ban for throwing pints of beer at opposing fans can get in the fücking bin. Don't like 5 match bans? Don't act like a cünt then.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
If our fans had stuff luzzed at them from above, I'd want our club to protest much as Ajax have done.

All these precious twats whining because they're getting what is a trivial 5 match ban for throwing pints of beer at opposing fans can get in the fücking bin. Don't like 5 match bans? Don't act like a cünt then.
At Marseille I had pints thrown over me by Marseille, I'm pretty sure one had piss in it and one of their fans spat through the fence at me in my face.

That's way worse than what one of ours did at Ajax, and many people saw it in Marseille, but because the club haven't done anything about it, no ones on their high horse.

A 5 game ban isn't trivial, it's a 5 game ban for something that dozens, maybe hundreds did, but only one person got punished for.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes. One fan has been banned for 5 games and Athens for throwing beer at Ajax fans - having been ejected during the game by a Ajax steward .

No reports that there have been any other bans...
Thanks CJ :thumbsup:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I mean this genuinely, is it not boring sitting on here in an echo chamber of everyone saying the ban isn’t long enough and what he did could have killed someone?

He threw a very small bit of a beer, many people threw way more, if you met him you’d probably say he’s unlucky and the club have got it wrong once more. But no, suddenly he’s lucky it’s only a five game ban.

For a club that’s fought for the good will of the fans, we don’t half turn on our own quick enough.
OK So i am interested by what you mean when you say "one of our own". Do you mean all Albion fans or only those whose views you agree with ?
If it is, which i hope it is, the former then i would hope you will consider that as has been clearly displayed on this thread there are quite a lot of "our own" who do not like getting soaked by beer or hit by plastic cups when trying to celebrate a goal. Therefore are not those who luzz beer filled cups without any consideration of whether other fans are upset or hurt also by definition turning on "our own".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At Marseille I had pints thrown over me by Marseille, I'm pretty sure one had piss in it and one of their fans spat through the fence at me in my face.

That's way worse than what one of ours did at Ajax, and many people saw it in Marseille, but because the club haven't done anything about it, no ones on their high horse.

A 5 game ban isn't trivial, it's a 5 game ban for something that dozens, maybe hundreds did, but only one person got punished for.
What do you want me to say? That because you got piss thrown at you in Marseille, it's ok for you to luzz pints at Ajax fans below? It isn't, as any grown-up can see.

Secondly, hundreds of Albion fans did NOT throw pints at opposing fans in the section below. It was a handful. You can see it from the limbs video tweeted by BHA admin (before being taken down when this blew up). There were literally no more than a dozen people acting like twats and doing that. Call me when more than 12 get this punishment handed to them.

And yes, a 5 game ban absolutely IS trivial. Only a right purse would cry about that. Absolute wet-wipe behaviour.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
OK So i am interested by what you mean when you say "one of our own". Do you mean all Albion fans or only those whose views you agree with ?
If it is, which i hope it is, the former then i would hope you will consider that as has been clearly displayed on this thread there are quite a lot of "our own" who do not like getting soaked by beer or hit by plastic cups when trying to celebrate a goal. Therefore are not those who luzz beer filled cups without any consideration of whether other fans are upset or hurt also by definition turning on "our own".
I mean it consistently that we see someone from our fanbase make a mistake, and suddenly they have committed an act that no one else could even dream of committing.

I'm not saying what he did was right, and of course no one wants to get covered in beer, but the consensus on here is that he purposely did it to be a **** and therefore deserves a harsh punishment, I don't agree with that.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
What do you want me to say? That because you got piss thrown at you in Marseille, it's ok for you to luzz pints at Ajax fans below? It isn't, as any grown-up can see.

Secondly, hundreds of Albion fans did NOT throw pints at opposing fans in the section below. It was a handful. You can see it from the limbs video tweeted by BHA admin (before being taken down when this blew up). There were literally no more than a dozen people acting like twats and doing that. Call me when more than 12 get this punishment handed to them.

And yes, a 5 game ban absolutely IS trivial. Only a right purse would cry about that. Absolute wet-wipe behaviour.
I'm saying that neither are right, but we are seeing a channel of anger because this has made the news; Marseille didn't and therefore no one cared.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm saying that neither are right, but we are seeing a channel of anger because this has made the news; Marseille didn't and therefore no one cared.
What do you mean "a channel of anger"?

All I'm seeing is one tin pot 5 game ban handed out because that person was deemed to have deliberately thrown a full pint at fans below with Dutch football CCTV unlikely to have made any sort of mistake.

Most of us are indifferent: a shrug of the shoulders and it serves him right really. Then there are the bunch of whingers busily crying that it's all so unfair and what an awful punishment. It's embarrassing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not saying what he did was right, and of course no one wants to get covered in beer, but the consensus on here is that he purposely did it to be a **** and therefore deserves a harsh punishment, I don't agree with that.
That's utter, utter nonsense.

There are a wide range of views on this thread ranging from "It's nothing - the club have over-reacted" - similar to your own standpoint - all the way through to "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

As I said in my long post some pages back, if opposing fans at the Amex threw things at Albion fans, I would absolutely expect Albion to raise it with the opposing club, and I would hope the opposing club takes measures against those identified.

So, when Ajax reported this to the Albion, and will undoubtedly raise this with UEFA, the club absolutely have to be seen to be taking action. Doing nothing - and that's what a mere verbal warning will look like - is not an option for the club here.

I feel massive sympathy for anyone who got carried away, in what was one of this club's finest every nights, but I can also understand why the club have taken the action they have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports