Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was ticketless in Amsterdam. With Pogue Junior, we watched the match in Rick's Cafe, overlooking a canal, five minutes from Dam Square.

There were 'scenes' for both goals, obviously, but no beer luzzing.

It would be interesting to know how much was luzzed in Euro Bar, Bavaria or anywhere else in Dam Square. I bet it was loads. Can anyone confirm?

We chose our venue well, I think. What a weekend that was.

Well, a few of us took the piss because that's exactly what you are complaining about. "We can't have limbs anymore" Yes, yes you can. Go mental when we score - like the Fulham video - just don't luzz a pint. Not hard is it?
Heat of the moment it happens, I think we'll just leave t there! As we will go round and round in circles on this one. Have a good weekend, sir.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If you like to fashionably soak others, because you would otherwise feel left out then you need to realise you're just being an inconsiderate twat.
In most other situations doing similar would likely afford you a punch in the mouth.
This trend loved so much only by dumbasses needs to stop. Hopefully most will grow out of it.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
For me, there is a difference between holding a full pint.. scoring a goal.. celebrating and some of it spilling but making a conscious effort to keep hold of it. Possibly getting knocked out your hand and it hit the deck
OR
Having a full pint, scoring and then taking aim and launching it as far as you can.

The former you wouldnt get chucked out for which suggests the latter was the issue. In which case, European stewarding/police can be different to at home.

Watching games in certain pubs or England games id expect a few to be chucked BUT take the choice to go. If you're in that away end and get hit by a pint you've every right to be livid, I personally would just get on with it and remember we've just gone 2 up away to Ajax.

Throwing it at opposition or where it could go in their end is just a stupid move. Like shoplifting in front of a copper

Last edited:

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
I'd guess the difference was that at Marseilles, once we were deposited in the underground car park we were 'on our own' in terms of stewarding. Yes, we had the armed police to keep us company, but other than that we were in our safe space, behind perspex and netting, and we were allowed to (within the law) behave as we wanted - so there was lots of smoking, taunting of home fans, climbing on fencing, beer throwing and other shenanigans, but there were zero stewards there to observe.

At Ajax, and as @jackalbion has pointed out, they are very sensitive to things being thrown onto the pitch and I assume onto the home fans also. There were stewards in the away end, and they will have seen people doing things that are deemed unacceptable, including throwing full drinks into air and onto other fans, and will have acted accordingly. As has been mentioned (I didn't hear it on the night) but a warning was put over the tannoy about this, but to little avail.

I don't want football to become a place where you risk getting a pint of beer (or worse) thrown over you by other fans, and clearly Ajax are also keen to stop this.

Once they took action against individuals, Sussex Police / The Albion would be obliged to take some action, and they have. Whether the punishment fits the crime is up for debate, but they had to do something.
We seemed to be surrounded by pleasant Ajax fans in the JCA whereas Marseille there was pyro and stones being thrown in the lower tier so a few beers going up isn't a major concern.
Understandable that their stewards were tougher with us

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Quite happy to see 5 match bans and would also suggest reductions in loyalty points as well. There is a massive difference between those that in the moment accidentally spill a bit of beer and those that deliberately and purposedly throw the beer in the air. As for the 'quiet word' approach, I very much doubt that will have any effect whatsoever. There are some fans who don't give a damn about their fellow fans. We had three idiots who decided to come out of exit 117 and stand by the rail blocking the view of several fans. They didn't move until we got the steward involved.

As for those arguing about Brighton stewards and Darren Balkham not having jurisdiction, what has that got to do with it as they are not being prosecuted by the legal system. The club have every right to take action against fans that affect the clubs reputation. Fans behaviour in the past did lead to English clubs getting a ban and whilst luzzing isn't in the league of hooliganism of the past, if it continued it could lead to sanctions for Brighton, especially if home clubs complain about their fans getting soaked.
Absolutely, if someone spilt a bit of beer on me in the celebrations I'd take it and see if they fancied buying me one to drink and not wear. If someone threw one at me I'm annoyed but accept its likely to happen and its bad luck

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We seemed to be surrounded by pleasant Ajax fans in the JCA whereas Marseille there was pyro and stones being thrown in the lower tier so a few beers going up isn't a major concern.
Understandable that their stewards were tougher with us
I came out with more euros from marseille velodrome than I went in with and that was after 3 heieneken, one water and 3 tomato and mozerella ciabattas.

Those awfully friendly french guys either side clearly enjoyed my singing as they gave me money

Quite, back in the day the only ground I can ever remember having a beer in was Northampton (I think, or might by Bury) where I somehow ended up in the bar at the ground pre match and can remember watching the warm ups through a window. There were never really concourse either, lucky to find a rusty shack inside the away end sell some sort of food.

I really don't get pint throwing, I read that some "supporters" bought pints with no intension of drinking but for the sole purpose of chucking, just very strange, I have been involved in many "limbs" celebrations (the Forest Ulloa goal was probably the most memorable) but never felt the need to chuck anything.
Recall our group at Bury used their social club pre game in 76,i was out side as too young to drink so just reported on troop numbers.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
As a final point on this, interestingly the ban is 5 premier league home games and Marseille is not included in the 5 (although he is still banned for that). Means the next home game is Palace at home with no aways in that time or ability to buy tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here