Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think this is what I keep coming back to, I feel sorry the individual who got banned.

In my eyes, kicked out the game and missing the next home game is probably fair enough given the circumstances, another 5 game sets an interesting precedent. The bans given for passing on tickets worked as it is a measured decision to pass on a ticket to someone else, policing celebrations on the other hand could prove harder to monitor regardless of the deterrent.
As I said, I absolutely share sympathy for anyone who got carried away, made a mistake and is suffering the consequences.

However, I'm not sure any kind of precedent is being set here - the club have a well-documented charter that covers all of this - https://resources.brightonandhoveal...71-b5f7-5704839ebc6c/Club-Charter-2023_24.pdf - I can't imagine this is the first time that someone has received a punishment as a result of behaviour at a game.

In fact, the very opposite is likely true: if the club had ignored its own charter and given a more lenient and not-documented punishment, it would open itself up for criticisms of making it up as they go along. That would be a precedent that wouldn't help anyone in the long run.

All I can add is that from my dealings with people at the club, they'd much rather not have to deal with things like this. There's no joy in stopping Albion fans from going to Albion games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are correct, none of us are really safe from that happening. If you are unlucky enough to be ejected from an away ground, and the reason for that could be extremely trivial, then you will be banned. You are wholly in the hands of the away stewards and what they consider to be acceptable or non acceptable.

That is what can kill the atmosphere, it isn't about whether throwing beer enhances the atmosphere - of course it doesn't, its a shit thing to do. The issue I have is the apparent black and white ejection = ban. So we all need to be think about how we behave, check the emotion and be wary. I held my kids back from the pitch invasion when we were promoted becaused of my experience - my kids were mightily pissed off but I was convinced there would be bans until the pitch was full.

Thankfully the vast majority of stewards at away games are pretty good, have a decent tolerance and will speak with you if they are seeing things that they don't like. But there is no warning for when you come across a complete twat who wants to find reason to eject someone - when that happens dont expect your club to give a shit. It's happened to me, its happened to someone else more recently by the sounds of it, excluding this instrance which may/may not have involved chucking a glass full of beer at the ajax fans.

Those veiwing a 5 game home ban (so 10 games) as trivial will get a nasty shock - it is far from trivial and you'd have to be a massive twat or compeltely unintersted in the Albion to think otherwise.
I normally like your posts but your last sentence is an absolute crock of shit.

A five match ban absolutely IS trivial. Is your life so empty that you couldn't possibly not go to the Amex for 6 weeks? Behave.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023

A five match ban absolutely IS trivial. Is your life so empty that you couldn't possibly not go to the Amex for 6 weeks? Behave.
A five game ban, and Athens away when travel, accommodation, time off work, is already sorted, is more than trivial.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

It really isn't. Think it through - 5 home games - Ok, would really piss you off and would be a major issue if that included a vital game, play off or eurpean night for example. Then the 5 away games - those ejected from away games being those that go to away games, they are the ones that stand out for football fans, more so than the home games. Then eurpoean away games that are a significant and important event and one that costs a lot of upfront money. If you think that is trivial then I stand by the comment (albeit it was written to draw a reaction !)- its a significant punishment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Far from trivial if the poor sap has already shelled out for tickets, flights and accomodation in Athens. Pretty harsh lesson in adulting. Oh well. Anyway...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

It is not just a 5 match ban though, is it? It is not being able to attend away games during that period or indeed purchase any away tickets that you might be eligible for during that period.

5 home games takes you until the end of January by my reckoning and by that stage many of the tickets for away games in the month or so after that might have gone too.

I'm not questioning the decision to dish out the punishments here, but it is slightly longer than 6 weeks that someone will be away from watching the Albion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair enough all, maybe a 5 match ban is not as trivial as I first thought. I guess the club could refund the cost of tickets to ease that punishment, although flights, time off and so on - well that's not their problem.

As THPP puts it, maybe it's just a harsh lesson in how to be a grown-up. It has never been acceptable to deliberately throw pints onto opposing fans in the tier below.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A five game ban, and Athens away when travel, accommodation, time off work, is already sorted, is more than trivial.
….presumably includes other away games already paid for as well, and I think you’re blocked from buying any tickets until the ban ends, so essentially adding another month or so to the ban. Could easily end up being 5 home plus 6-8 away games ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's utter, utter nonsense.

There are a wide range of views on this thread ranging from "It's nothing - the club have over-reacted" - similar to your own standpoint - all the way through to "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

As I said in my long post some pages back, if opposing fans at the Amex threw things at Albion fans, I would absolutely expect Albion to raise it with the opposing club, and I would hope the opposing club takes measures against those identified.

So, when Ajax reported this to the Albion, and will undoubtedly raise this with UEFA, the club absolutely have to be seen to be taking action. Doing nothing - and that's what a mere verbal warning will look like - is not an option for the club here.

I feel massive sympathy for anyone who got carried away, in what was one of this club's finest every nights, but I can also understand why the club have taken the action they have.
Afraid I have no sympathy for anyone that launches a beer into the air. Yes, if they are jostled and jumping around and spill a bit, but there is a big difference. A few years ago it suddenly became the 'spontaneous' thing for footballers to remove their shirts when they scored. Nobody had done it before so not quite sure how it became spontaneous yet once a punishment was introduced it soon stopped. I doubt a punishment would work with luzzing so the simple answer is no beer at the seats.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
….presumably includes other away games already paid for as well, and I think you’re blocked from buying any tickets until the ban ends, so essentially adding another month or so to the ban. Could easily end up being 5 home plus 6-8 away games ?
Yep, correct

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
People keep talking about this guy being banned from going to Athens when, as far as I can see, he didn’t mention Athens in his message on Dogma. I'm sure he would have done if he had travel and accommodation booked.

Second, a 5-match ban is actually pretty trivial when you consider people get 3-year, 5-year, even lifetime bans for offences in stadiums.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the time we're still stuck with #TeamLuzzer conveniently omitting the one simple fact that got this person banned, instead of 'everyone else, this thread will forever go round in circles.

It feels like most of us have sympathy over the sentence, what with Athens in the mix, but nobody can be surprised by this as 5 games is pretty much the default setting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here