If you’re staying a few days , there’s lots to see and do like :-

• Anne Frank House.
  • Van Gogh Museum.
  • Rijksmuseum.
  • Vondelpark.
  • The Jordaan.
  • Centraal Station.
  • Heineken Experience.
By Centraal Station I assume you mean the architecture, which is indeed spectacular. But the Rijksmuseum is just as impressive (same architect), especially if you view it from the south (the park side), where you avoid the wheelie luggage, trams and pickpockets that swarm around the station.

Another lesser-known attraction in the Rijksmuseum is the bike tunnel that runs through the middle. It has excellent acoustics and attracts the real cream of the busking community. There were virtuoso violinists when I was last there a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful.

Agree with what has already been said about the Heineken Experience. Don't go unless you enjoy paying €23.00 per person to a multinational just to watch an advert for that multinational's core product for 2 hours...

The queues are stupidly long for most Amsterdam sights these days, so it's a good idea to pre-book tickets for anything if you can, not just for the Anne Frank House, where it's essential if you want to be sure of getting in.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
On the accommodation side, I've stayed in 75+ different hotels in Amsterdam in the past 15 years alone, and I tend to go on price.

Stayed in the Hampton by Hilton by Bijlmer ArenA station mentioned above - it's pretty good, and you can't beat the location for the ground. If money was no object I'd stay in the Estherea for old-world canalside charm, or the Room Mate Aitana for modern facilities. EasyHotel and the Botel are both dumpy, but relatively cheap I guess. Most of the hotels right in the centre are way overpriced for what you get, even the 5-star Krasnapolsky on Dam Square which has tiny rooms, albeit a gorgeous wintergarden breakfast room that redeems it a little.

As has been said above, you can get much better options on the v.f.m. front by staying in Zaandam, Utrecht or Haarlem.

The Zaan Inn and Zaan Hotel in Zaandam are both decent and right by Zaandam station, which is only 10 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal. The Inntel in Zaandam is worth checking out for its insane architecture alone, but it tends to be more costly to stay in than the other two. The only downside of Zaandam is the nightlife ain't much, apart from The Black Smith pub, which is lovely.

Both Haarlem and Utrecht have decent nightlife, Haarlem tends to slew slightly more 'middle-aged', whereas Utrecht has a louder and younger vibe (though not compared to Amsterdam). From central Amsterdam, Haarlem is quicker to get to, but Utrecht is closer if you're coming/going direct to/from the ground. In Haarlem I highly recommend the niu Dairy hotel (https://the.niu.de/en/hotels/netherlands/haarlem).

As for pubs in Amsterdam, Haarlem and Utrecht, I've been to quite a few... Where to recommend depends on what kind of vibe people are looking for

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
By Centraal Station I assume you mean the architecture, which is indeed spectacular. But the Rijksmuseum is just as impressive (same architect), especially if you view it from the south (the park side), where you avoid the wheelie luggage, trams and pickpockets that swarm around the station.

Another lesser-known attraction in the Rijksmuseum is the bike tunnel that runs through the middle. It has excellent acoustics and attracts the real cream of the busking community. There were virtuoso violinists when I was last there a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful.

Agree with what has already been said about the Heineken Experience. Don't go unless you enjoy paying €23.00 per person to a multinational just to watch an advert for that multinational's core product for 2 hours...

The queues are stupidly long for most Amsterdam sights these days, so it's a good idea to pre-book tickets for anything if you can, not just for the Anne Frank House, where it's essential if you want to be sure of getting in.
We are going to have very different experiences for this match ! I’d be genuinely surprised if I move 1 square mile from the red light district. I’m hoping this takes in dam square ?!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
On the accommodation side, I've stayed in 75+ different hotels in Amsterdam in the past 15 years alone, and I tend to go on price.

Stayed in the Hampton by Hilton by Bijlmer ArenA station mentioned above - it's pretty good, and you can't beat the location for the ground. If money was no object I'd stay in the Estherea for old-world canalside charm, or the Room Mate Aitana for modern facilities. EasyHotel and the Botel are both dumpy, but relatively cheap I guess. Most of the hotels right in the centre are way overpriced for what you get, even the 5-star Krasnapolsky on Dam Square which has tiny rooms, albeit a gorgeous wintergarden breakfast room that redeems it a little.

As has been said above, you can get much better options on the v.f.m. front by staying in Zaandam, Utrecht or Haarlem.

The Zaan Inn and Zaan Hotel in Zaandam are both decent and right by Zaandam station, which is only 10 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal. The Inntel in Zaandam is worth checking out for its insane architecture alone, but it tends to be more costly to stay in than the other two. The only downside of Zaandam is the nightlife ain't much, apart from The Black Smith pub, which is lovely.

Both Haarlem and Utrecht have decent nightlife, Haarlem tends to slew slightly more 'middle-aged', whereas Utrecht has a louder and younger vibe (though not compared to Amsterdam). From central Amsterdam, Haarlem is quicker to get to, but Utrecht is closer if you're coming/going direct to/from the ground. In Haarlem I highly recommend the niu Dairy hotel (https://the.niu.de/en/hotels/netherlands/haarlem).

As for pubs in Amsterdam, Haarlem and Utrecht, I've been to quite a few... Where to recommend depends on what kind of vibe people are looking for
I reckon these days Utrecht definitely has a younger vibe! I'm 26 and I'm starting to feel old here! (Could just be the intro week and the flood of new students).

At least we won't have to get a bus to the ground from Brighton like away fans have to in The Netherlands.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yes I’ve seen a lot of house boats advertised. Wonder how safe they are as couldn’t anyone try to get on .
If you have a choice between a house boat and a hotel around the station for similar prices, definitely go for the boat. The boats are usually way nicer and a cool experience.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Quick question as haven't booked a ticket yet for this season, but has the ticket that goes into Apple wallet changed colour and no longer has the QR code on it? I've just booked ticket for the Ajax game in Oct (so excited) and added it to my wallet and it's white with no QR code? Anyone else have the same?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've booked 2 nights at the Apple Hotel just away from the centre £115 p/n.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
We were in Amsterdam this summer and the highlight was a boat ride through the canals with a local at the wheel… his boat has an electric engine - so we could hear all of the comments on architecture and history… not cheap, but when you divide by 4 or 6 adults, it becomes a bargain. Highly recommended.
IMG_5005.jpeg

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
We were in Amsterdam this summer and the highlight was a boat ride through the canals with a local at the wheel… his boat has an electric engine - so we could hear all of the comments on architecture and history… not cheap, but when you divide by 4 or 6 adults, it becomes a bargain. Highly recommended. View attachment 166042

The boat tours are really worth it I find. It is a real shame we don't have them on the last game as the Light Festival begins in December and all the canals are lit up at night.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I reckon these days Utrecht definitely has a younger vibe! I'm 26 and I'm starting to feel old here! (Could just be the intro week and the flood of new students).
You're never too old for Café DeRat, i.m.o. the nicest bar in Utrecht...!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
We are going to have very different experiences for this match ! I’d be genuinely surprised if I move 1 square mile from the red light district. I’m hoping this takes in dam square ?!
To be fair, limiting yourself to within a mile of the RLD isn't really limiting yourself in Amsterdam. It's not that big, and "1 square mile" pretty much takes in the bulk of the Canal Belt.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
To be fair, limiting yourself to within a mile of the RLD isn't really limiting yourself in Amsterdam. It's not that big, and "1 square mile" pretty much takes in the bulk of the Canal Belt.
I know I’m just being silly. Been to Amsterdam many times and seen what a lovely place it is. The red light area used to be a lot worse than it is now, but I’ll go back to my 20’s and not move from the place.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sorry if this has already come up already but are there any coaches or chartered flights organised for Ajax? I’d like to go but really need to get in and out as quick as possible.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Sorry if this has already come up already but are there any coaches or chartered flights organised for Ajax? I’d like to go but really need to get in and out as quick as possible.
Seagull Travel are hoping to announce something soon for Ajax ...

In terms of coach, I think they're looking at there and back with no overnight stay. And they're talking to another company about charter flight options.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

In terms of coach, I think they're looking at there and back with no overnight stay. And they're talking to another company about charter flight options.
Wow 14 hours in one day roundtrip in a coach with a bunch of stinking mostly obese men farting every 5 minutes. That is genuine torture.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Seagull Travel are struggling according to their facebook post. Marseille definitely not doable and does appear to be Eurostar slots available for buses for Ajax either.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I know I’m just being silly. Been to Amsterdam many times and seen what a lovely place it is. The red light area used to be a lot worse than it is now, but I’ll go back to my 20’s and not move from the place.
Back in the 1980s it wasn't possible to walk more than 10 metres through the RLD without some guy offering you cocaine. Nowadays I've gone entire afternoons without being offered anything. Although it could also just be that my greying hair marks me out as "not a customer"... (I wasn't a customer in the '80s either, but still...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here