Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax - Amsterdam

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There doesn’t seem to be a thread on the Ajax trip which I suspect will be the most popular for Brighton fans.

Here is some info I’ve found out about the ground .
The Dutch generally I’ve found to be welcoming and warm people and Amsterdam is a lovely vibrant city which is considered very safe for tourists .

If you’re staying a few days , there’s lots to see and do like :-

• Anne Frank House.
  • Van Gogh Museum.
  • Rijksmuseum.
  • Vondelpark.
  • The Jordaan.
  • Centraal Station.
  • Heineken Experience.

Looking forward to the Binfest to get tickets !

One of Europe’s first large modern stadiums and still an icon in world football.

Key facts​

Club: AFC Ajax | Opening: 1996 | Capacity: 53,748 seats

History and description​

The Johan Cruijff ArenA, previously called Amsterdam ArenA, was built between 1993 and 1996. It replaced Ajax’s previous home De Meer, which, with a capacity of 19,000 seats, had become too small for the club.

The Amsterdam ArenA officially opened on 14 August 1996 with a match between Ajax and AC Milan (0-3). The first goal in the new arena was scored by Dejan Savicevic. Total construction costs had amounted to €96 million.

The Amsterdam ArenA was the first football stadium in Europe with a retractable roof. It takes about 20 minutes to open or close the roof.

Shortly after the opening, it turned out that the stadium design had not accounted for good grass growing conditions, and as a result the pitch had to get renewed up to 5 times a year. These problems were later resolved with the installation of innovative grass growing technology, consisting of a combination of lamps, wind turbines, and water sprinklers.

The Johan Cruijff ArenA counts with a total of 2,229 business seats and a further 820 seats in sky boxes. The stands are among the steepest in Europe, with the second tier having an angle of 37 degrees.

In 1998, the stadium hosted the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Juventus (1-0), and in 2013 the Europa League final between Chelsea and Benfica (2-1).

The Amsterdam ArenA was one of the playing venues of the Euro 2000 championships, hosting three group match, a quarter-final, and the semi-final between Holland and Italy (0-0).

The stadium has been chosen to be one of the playing venues of the Euro 2020 tournament, which is played across different countries. For this, the stadium got refurbished resulting in larger concourses and a new facade.

How to get to the Johan Cruijff ArenA​

The Johan Cruijff ArenA is located in a modern office park in the south-east of Amsterdam, approximately 10 kilometres from the city centre.

The stadium is best reached by train or metro. Train station Bijlmer ArenA lies next to the stadium and can be reached in 15 minutes from Amsterdam Central Station. There is very regular service.

The metro takes only little longer and stops at the same station as well as station Strandvliet/ArenA that lies on the north side of the stadium. Take metro 54 from Amsterdam Central Station, or any of the stops in Amsterdam city centre. Metro 50 connects the stadium with southern and western parts of the city (e.g. Amsterdam Zuid station).

Address: ArenA Boulevard 1, 1101 AX Amsterdam

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anne Frank House is a very moving experience but go either early or late as mega queues

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
download (5).jpg

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Anne Frank House is a very moving experience but go either early or late as mega queues
You can't go now without tickets, they have to be booked beforehand. On the day itself though, check in the morning as they do a resale at around 10am local time.

If you're looking for something cheaper, Utrecht is 15 minutes away from the stadium and 25 from the centre of Amsterdam with the train.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me as I've lived over here for years now!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If you’re staying a few days , there’s lots to see and do like :-

• Anne Frank House.
  • Van Gogh Museum.
  • Rijksmuseum.
  • Vondelpark.
  • The Jordaan.
  • Centraal Station.
  • Heineken Experience.

Don't waste your time and money on Heineken Experience, and do a little walk around the Jordaan for your photos but don't waste your money there. Van Gogh Museum is a little overrated but I guess when in Amsterdam it should be on the list.

Pretty much anything inside Prinsengracht is a tourist trap. Calmer and more friendly pubs and things to do tend to be a little further out, but still all very easy to get to by tram or bike.

A favourite neighbourhood of mine is de Pijp, south of the centre with lots of good pubs. You could cross the river and go to NDSM for a Hackney Wick kind of vibe too. Brouwerij 't IJ if you'd like to buy a nice beer from a windmill.

Or just get pissed up in the red light district if that's your thing. But please don't get lairy and start fighting the locals - British tourists have particularly a horrible reputation there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You can't go now without tickets, they have to be booked beforehand. On the day itself though, check in the morning as they do a resale at around 10am local time.

If you're looking for something cheaper, Utrecht is 15 minutes away from the stadium and 25 from the centre of Amsterdam with the train.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me as I've lived over here for years now!
Fair enough, was 20 odd years ago we went.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Centraal station ?!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't waste your time and money on Heineken Experience, and do a little walk around the Jordaan for your photos but don't waste your money there. Van Gogh Museum is a little overrated but I guess when in Amsterdam it should be on the list.

Pretty much anything inside Prinsengracht is a tourist trap. Calmer and more friendly pubs and things to do tend to be a little further out, but still all very easy to get to by tram or bike.

A favourite neighbourhood of mine is de Pijp, south of the centre with lots of good pubs. You could cross the river and go to NDSM for a Hackney Wick kind of vibe too. Brouwerij 't IJ if you'd like to buy a nice beer from a windmill.

Or just get pissed up in the red light district if that's your thing. But please don't get lairy and start fighting the locals - British tourists have particularly a horrible reputation there.
Another vote for de Pijp here. And for that district's Easyjet-owned Easyhotel. It's pretty basic (as in you have to pay a supplement if you want a window :lol:) but it's fairly new and sparkly clean, the beds are comfy and there's a very good shower. Oh, and it's cheap as chips with mayonnaise :thumbsup:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Another vote for de Pijp here. And for that district's Easyjet-owned Easyhotel. It's pretty basic (as in you have to pay a supplement if you want a window :lol:) but it's fairly new and sparkly clean, the beds are comfy and there's a very good shower. Oh, and it's cheap as chips with mayonnaise :thumbsup:

On the back of this, don't feel that you have to book a hotel in the very centre of Amsterdam. You'll get way better value further out, and the public transport is easy, good and reliable. The metro is a bit limited but trams go everywhere and they all use the same rechargeable card that you can buy at any public transport stop.

If you want to rent a bike (which I'd recommend if you can) then it's even simpler.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
De Pijp is definitely the 'hipster' area of Amsterdam away from the traditional tourists. However, I imagine like most clubs, we'll congregate somewhere around Dam Square before the game.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
If you're interested in the football club, I would recommend to book a stadium tour of the Johan Cruyff Arena. A tour guide is optional and you will be able to explore areas such as the dressing rooms, manager dugouts and Ajax's extensive trophy collection - perfect for both kids and adults. As we know Ajax are the nation's most successful football club and seeing the list of players and trophies they have, including four Champions Leagues, it's just amazing how Brighton can now play them competitively.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Amsterdam is a brilliant city, having spent many a visit going back to the 80s, when it was rather violent and overun with hard drugs. The redlight district has shrunk drastically over the years and not what it was. Have always preferred the area around Leidseplein, with plenty of pubs, restaurants and a cooler vibe and not far from the Rijksmuseum.

Also if you're struggling for accommodation in Amsterdam, Utrecht is a viable option only 20mins by train to the Cryuff ArenA.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm thinking Utrecht due to being middle aged and somewhat past it. Far more chilled and just a quick cheap reliable frequent train ride away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here