Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Air Fryers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Will have a look then - the ones we have seen have all looked rather small.
Can't remember which one we've got - Ninja something or other - but it's got two big drawers that you can fit loads in and they have independent settings.

Mrs B cooked a big bit of beef in one the other week. Took far less time than the oven and tasted great. The extent of my use (unsupervised) is heating up some chips, which tasted every bit as good as they did the day before when we got them from the chip shop 👍🏼

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Any good for a family of 5?
I would say no, mine is a Tefal EY2018 and is described as XL, I think it is ok for 2 and probably 3 if you plan to cook the whole meal in it e.g. the main ingredient and any accompaniments.

I have only used mine to cook for 2 and I tend to do it in 2 batches. The problem is that it has volume in terms of height but it's not usable.

I'm looking to modify mine so that I can have a double layer and increase the capacity.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Purchased a Ninja Foodi a couple of weeks ago. Haven't turned the oven on since.
Bad. It's big and takes up a lot of room. Forget about storing it away as you'll use it at least 4 times a week.
Bad. Accessories. The wife has added around £50 of cookbooks and extras.
Good. Cheap to run and once you get the hang of it, easy to use.
Good. Fry up in the morning, quick and easy. Don't do scrambled eggs though, microwave them.
Good. Jacket potatoes.
Highly recomended.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I collected one for the wife 3 weeks ago. It's still in the box.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some good stuff here.

I still loves mine and won't be using the cooker when I do finally get a new kitchen.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
We've had a Philips Air Fryer for a few years now but we've really started using it properly in the last couple of months, mainly use it for home made chips as it's a bit small for a family of 4. We're looking at getting a Gourmia one from Costco for about £60 delivered to either add as a second one or just replace the Philips one.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm a sucker for this stuff. I haven't used my nutri bullet or panini press for ages. That's why I've not got one even though they look f***ing brilliant.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes there is a thread on here about saving energy where I posted, but that wasn't the reason I bought one.

I did a bit if research and went for the ones that are just a small oven without the drawers. I have a couple one here and one at my mums house.

I rarely turn the oven on now. I cook a lot and know how to cook. I had a very early version years ago and they have really come on.

Certain things they can't do - bread is rubbish and they struggle with "dense" things in a thick sauce, like macaroni cheese.

However (the simple oven variety) are better at cooking a number of things because:

1) They are a highly effective convection oven in a small space.
2) They heat up very very quickly. No need to pre-heat an "air fryer" ( hate the expression )
3) The metal grid type shelves allow the air to fully circulate around the food.
4) You actually don't need to worry about the small space, I flip the food in and out to cook.

Mine has a rotisserie, but I don't use it for chicken. If you joint it and put the thighs and legs etc.. on the tray above the breasts all the juices run down and give a remarkable result. That's something that air fryers do better than a normal oven.

You throw the trays in the dishwasher / washing bowl.

You have to experiment, but for a number of things they just cook much better than a conventional oven because really they are the same thing in a much smaller space. Tried halloumi tonight, brilliant. Just chucked it in and it came as halloumi "fries".

I'm a complete convert.

I still use the main oven but that really about volume. Never cook chicken in anything else but an air fryer again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here