Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I think there is little chance of getting a ticket in the home end either*. Over here they require you to register for a fan membership and provide your greek ID and social security number to purchase a ticket.

*The caveat being that this is Greece so there is probably a way round it, but given the recent trouble at football it's probably unlikely.
Is this the case for all domestic matches and lower leagues do you know?

Our plan is stay and try get to at least 1 other match that weekend but could be scuppered if that’s the case

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Our plan is stay and try get to at least 1 other match that weekend but could be scuppered if that’s the case
Certainly for the super league. No idea about lower leagues. I think you might be able to get round it with a passport and buying the membership (usually 10 euros) if you buy the ticket from the ground prior to the game (perhaps they can override the social security number requirement). However, for the AEK game I expect that won't be possible as they'll know your an away fan from Brighton.

Also, tickets usually only go on sale here a week before the game, so it won't leave people much time to sort it out.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing

If its like Turkey you may need a local to negotiate with the club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's a bugger to get to Athens isn't it

I can't afford the inflated flights, but have been looking around at other places I might fly into. I looked at Mykonos and getting a ferry, but no vaguely sensible flights as it's not tourist season

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I can't afford the inflated flights, but have been looking around at other places I might fly into. I looked at Mykonos and getting a ferry, but no vaguely sensible flights as it's not tourist season
It's certainly a lot easier for western European games as can fly into other cities and take trains.
The flip side for Athens is that as out of tourist season the hotel prices seem reasonable

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
FWIW I think all have the potential for trouble. Ajax less so, but there will be elements that still see English fans as a ‘badge of honour’ and at risk of being picked off but some clown. Police will be a bit more on it though.

Marseille & Athens potentially a step up, with the added mix of the police not really caring / bothering and will also see English fans as targets for them

I’d go to all 3, but I’d have my wits about me, probably not waving around flags, wearing colours or venturing off main areas to far

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Istanbul, maybe? Other Greek airports aren't a likely option.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
AEK v Croats a tad different. Ajax too, always turned up in Europe and have caused trouble. Very unlikely AEK will be out looking for Brighton/English - they’ll be far more interested by the other 2 teams in the group

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Whenever I'm finding it tricky to find a cheap flight, I go on Skyscanner and check flights from my destination to "anywhere". Doing that suggests the cheapest destination from Athens is Bucharest, which is also very cheap to get to from London.

You can get a flight from Luton or Stansted to Bucharest for about £20. Bucharest to Athens for £50.

Direct flights back from Athens to London for 77 quid on the Friday.

Having done all that, I've just looked at direct returns London Athens, Wednesday/Friday and it's under £200.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Look on kayak.com.

Milan seems to come up a lot. But it's a long old flight (s)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here