Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens (least bad) Man of the Match

Who was your Man of the Match against AEK Athens?

• Steele

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • van Hecke

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Igor

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • Estupinan

• Groß

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Gilmour

Votes: 69 26.6%
  • March

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Fati

• Mitoma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pedro

Votes: 103 39.8%
  • Lamptey

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Giving Joao Pedro a rating for last night's performance is really difficult. In almost any circumstance, if a forward wins two penalties, and from those scores your only two goals of a game - you're giving the bloke a nine.

But honestly - he really wasn't very good last night.

He had that massive two-on-one chance at 2-2 that might well have won us the game, if instead of hitting it at the keeper's legs, he'd scored, or just squared it to Mitoma to tap into an open goal.

And what was with the f***ing STUPID f***ing FLICKS, all night? He literally gave the ball away FIVE times before the 50th minute, by trying to pull off an entirely unnecessary fancy flick, when a simple lay-off was all that was required, to keep the move progressing. Utterly infuriating.
Regarding the two on one chance, Micheal Owen made a good point that the ‘keeper was committed and diving and in that scenario a tame shot would suffice…. as the ‘keeper would have fully moved out of the way. Instead he wellied it and hit the ‘keeper.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Felt Gilmour worked hard to break up play and give it simple a few times.

As said above, Pedro had such a mixed game that it was hard to judge. Without the 2 Pens/Goals it would've been a pretty woeful performance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Regarding the two on one chance, Micheal Owen made a good point that the ‘keeper was committed and diving and in that scenario a tame shot would suffice…. as the ‘keeper would have fully moved out of the way. Instead he wellied it and hit the ‘keeper.
I think we might've been unlucky that he was on a hat trick at that moment, and therefore (you would assume) very determined to complete it.

A simple sideways pass would've seen Mitoma in front of a completely empty net.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Pedro clearly dividing opinion. Great penalties but he needs to concentrate on the basics, like being decisive and effective, and always pushing the game forward, rather than his infuriating tendency to want to impress with his little twirls and flicks. I can imagine them coming off better in the Championship for Watford but he’s now up against serious PL and CL-level defenders who can anticipate these things better. I’ve given him a hard time in some of my comments so I’ll lay off him now. He’s a skilful player and I’m glad we’ve got him, but RDZ needs to "'ave a word." Despite all that, his pens were superb. For that reason alone I can understand his status as MOTM.

Fact is, everyone played poorly. I don’t think it was just a collective bad day at the office, and I certainly don’t think it’s "nerves" as some are saying. These guys win in front of 73,000 at Old Trafford, and I don’t think AEK are any more daunting than playing City or Arsenal (both super-confident performances at the end of last season). Must have been a combination of an unfamiliar line-up and the muscular, harrying style of AEK. We live and learn. More importantly, Roberto lives and learns. Watch out Bournemouth!

FYI, I voted for Gilmour as he was the only player (with Steele perhaps) who I don’t remember swearing at at some point in the game!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The answer is João Pedro. You don't win and score two penalties in an otherwise turd performance without being MOM..needs to work on those terrible flicks though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
90min give it to Pedro...

CF: Joao Pedro - 7/10 - Won the penalties, scored the penalties. Etched into Brighton history. Hold-up play was a little hectic, though needed more support from the wingers in order to play their fluid system more effectively.

...notable mention for JPvH...

CB: Jan Paul van Hecke - 3/10 - Oafish and clumsy from the off. Swiped and missed a crucial interception for AEK's second goal, did little to help Lamptey for the third.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
CB: Jan Paul van Hecke - 3/10 - Oafish and clumsy from the off. Swiped and missed a crucial interception for AEK's second goal, did little to help Lamptey for the third.
On the TNT highlights clip I saw this morning Gross was clearly asking hard questions of JPvH after the third goal.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I think we might've been unlucky that he was on a hat trick at that moment, and therefore (you would assume) very determined to complete it.

A simple sideways pass would've seen Mitoma in front of a completely empty net.
Which, given how he played last night, he would probably have missed :eek:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
90min give it to Pedro...

CF: Joao Pedro - 7/10 - Won the penalties, scored the penalties. Etched into Brighton history. Hold-up play was a little hectic, though needed more support from the wingers in order to play their fluid system more effectively.

...notable mention for JPvH...

The varying opinions when results don't work out are amazing. Harsh on Van Hecke I thing but certainly not his best game. Others here thinking Igor was wowful when I was encouraged by what I saw from him. Seem to have much more consistent views when we win!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Gilmour for me. The pass he threaded through to win the first penalty was a rare moment of class from us.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey think I must have been watching a different game to whoever voted for Pervis or March. Perv is usually Mr Consistency but was dreadful last night. I lost count how many times he gave the ball away. I'd forgotten March was playing until he was on the wing in front of me the second half.

Slightly unfair to single those two out given everyone had a stinker. Think we need to write it off as one of those games and move on.
Blimey, I didn't think EVERYONE had a stinker, but then I've missed all the glorious football we've been playing :(

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I voted Igor too - thought it was a fabulous debut - great prospect
It is a game of opinions and all that - but I genuinely assume this is a wind-up.

1. He 'runs' VERY slowly.
2. He's responsible for the second goal (dropping out of the organised line to play the scorer onside)
3. He's culpable for the third - caught miles out of position, then pointing at others instead of making ANY effort to recover
4. He's missed a really big chance to score, with a free header from six yards (at 0-1)
5. He was lucky a covering VH saved him from a red card, when he pulled the striker down (because of: see. point 1)
6. He got the ball caught under his feet a few times
7. He's not great in the air

:shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is a game of opinions and all that - but I genuinely assume this is a wind-up.

1. He 'runs' VERY slowly.
2. He's responsible for the second goal (dropping out of the organised line to play the scorer onside)
3. He's culpable for the third - caught miles out of position, then pointing at others instead of making ANY effort to recover
4. He's missed a really big chance to score, with a free header from six yards (at 0-1)
5. He was lucky a covering VH saved him from a red card, when he pulled the striker down (because of: see. point 1)
6. He got the ball caught under his feet a few times
7. He's not great in the air

:shrug:
8. He cost more than the entire starting XI of AEK Athens last night?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I didn't even notice Pervis on the pitch, can't recall his name mentioned in the commentary either.
I honestly think some people must be blaming Igor for some of his mistakes. Similar positions on the pitch and although Igor is obviously an XL brick shit house, they can look similar in style with fast moving periods of play

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Giving Joao Pedro a rating for last night's performance is really difficult. In almost any circumstance, if a forward wins two penalties, and from those scores your only two goals of a game - you're giving the bloke a nine.

But honestly - he really wasn't very good last night.

He had that massive two-on-one chance at 2-2 that might well have won us the game, if instead of hitting it at the keeper's legs, he'd scored, or just squared it to Mitoma to tap into an open goal.

And what was with the f***ing STUPID f***ing FLICKS, all night? He literally gave the ball away FIVE times before the 50th minute, by trying to pull off an entirely unnecessary fancy flick, when a simple lay-off was all that was required, to keep the move progressing. Utterly infuriating.
Spot on. I lost my shit on the 5th flick

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Gilmour for me. He's the only player who did nothing wrong, I can't recall a single mistake that can be pinned on him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here