Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens (least bad) Man of the Match

Who was your Man of the Match against AEK Athens?

• Steele

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Milner

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • van Hecke

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Igor

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • Estupinan

• Groß

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Gilmour

Votes: 69 26.6%
  • March

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Fati

• Mitoma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pedro

Votes: 103 39.8%
  • Lamptey

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Blimey what's up with the state of this thread - who was our 'least bad' player? Lets give the team some support - that wasn't easy last night, that was toe to toe with a big, strong, committed team, a team who is used to winning week-in week-out and were champions of their country last season. What, we expect they're going to be scared of us, to retreat, to let us walkover them? No, this is top level European competition, who cares that some people thought it would be easy, thats not the reality, it was hard. So sure we didn't have lots of players finding it easy to waltz around a disjointed, poorly-motivated team like Man Utd, getting 10/10 scores, but can we please not have a universal dumping on our players of 'he was terrible', no he was shitter', 'no he was the worst'. We're better than that.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Blimey what's up with the state of this thread - who was our 'least bad' player? Lets give the team some support - that wasn't easy last night, that was toe to toe with a big, strong, committed team, a team who is used to winning week-in week-out and were champions of their country last season. What, we expect they're going to be scared of us, to retreat, to let us walkover them? No, this is top level European competition, who cares that some people thought it would be easy, thats not the reality, it was hard. So sure we didn't have lots of players finding it easy to waltz around a disjointed, poorly-motivated team like Man Utd, getting 10/10 scores, but can we please not have a universal dumping on our players of 'he was terrible', no he was shitter', 'no he was the worst'. We're better than that.
I'm with you on this, @Kalimantan Gull. Some people on NSC seem to be on a real downer about last night - maybe because they all got soaked!

Interestingly, the AEK Athens website, in their match report, state this:-

AEK.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we might've been unlucky that he was on a hat trick at that moment, and therefore (you would assume) very determined to complete it.

A simple sideways pass would've seen Mitoma in front of a completely empty net.
Or punted it instead of leathering it as Owen suggested.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I've only just managed to look back at the highlights after a few drinks.

Their third... f***ing hell. Mitoma needlessly losing it, Lamptey attempting to challenge for a header, Van Hecke getting sucked in then Igor well out of position and not even close to covering. A comedy of errors.

Great header for the first but how the f*** we ended up leaving someone totally unmarked in the box is beyond me.

Had Dunk/Fergie been fit, I reckon we would have won that game comfortably. I still can't understand why Veltman didn't feature.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I've only just managed to look back at the highlights after a few drinks.

Their third... f***ing hell. Mitoma needlessly losing it, Lamptey attempting to challenge for a header, Van Hecke getting sucked in then Igor well out of position and not even close to covering. A comedy of errors.

Great header for the first but how the f*** we ended up leaving someone totally unmarked in the box is beyond me.

Had Dunk/Fergie been fit, I reckon we would have won that game comfortably. I still can't understand why Veltman didn't feature.
I can’t bring myself to rewatch it, and probably won’t until the commemorative video: How Albion Won the Europa League. Then I’ll watch the goals from last night, grinning, and thinking "God, yeah, I remember how shit we all felt at the time. If only we knew how it would end up!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here