Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens FC vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Never going to be none, he will see an opportunity and go for it. Can't resist it.
It’s not a case of Barber or anyone else 'not resisting it'. You’re aiming your anger at the club instead of at some of our fans (a very few) who behaved like idiots last night. Tell me what it actually takes for people to behave reasonably? Maybe a 5-game ban will finally make them see sense.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Just got to say, as if it hadn't already been fantastic enough, this entire trip has been *made* by seeing Lewis at the airport tonight :love:
Was he on his own or with family?

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
20231201_222600.jpg
:love:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Obviously picked the royal flight back to LHR.....Bloom, Cantor, Aspinall, FBS...... :lol:
Good to see Tony Bloom as a true man of the people on the regular plane. Although if there’s one man who probanly doesn’t need a more expensive additional legroom seat…

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Group of 4 I think. He's on our delayed flight (21:50 Wizz). Needs a pay rise :lolol:
Thanks. Just being nosey as someone very close to me is a friend of someone close to Lewis. They met a week or two back, and the person close to Lewis said they were going to Athens but that it was always a shame that they couldn’t travel together. Since then, Lewis got his red card and suspension, so I just wondered if this meant he didn’t have to travel back with the team. Sorry, a rather irrelevant train of idle thought that’s of no great interest to anyone else.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Thanks. Just being nosey as someone very close to me is a friend of someone close to Lewis. They met a week or two back, and the person close to Lewis said they were going to Athens but that it was always a shame that they couldn’t travel together. Since then, Lewis got his red card and suspension, so I just wondered if this meant he didn’t have to travel back with the team. Sorry, a rather irrelevant train of idle thought that’s of no great interest to anyone else.
Hopefully they get that this time. Although it is Wizz, so they're probably sat at opposite ends of the plane :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good to see Tony Bloom as a true man of the people on the regular plane. Although if there’s one man who probanly doesn’t need a more expensive additional legroom seat…
Bloom (along with Norman) was ‘business’ class, but it really wasn’t as it was a BA flight operated by Finnair that didn’t have BC seats, so the first few rows just had the middle seat left free. I had more legroom in my exit row seat (which I don’t need either :lol: ). Johnny and Warren were way back :lol:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It’s not a case of Barber or anyone else 'not resisting it'. You’re aiming your anger at the club instead of at some of our fans (a very few) who behaved like idiots last night. Tell me what it actually takes for people to behave reasonably? Maybe a 5-game ban will finally make them see sense.
Anger? Really?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
Oct 20, 2022
The only rioting i was going to get involved in would have been me starting it if the lovely restaurant had run out of that exquisite saganaki fried cheese. Otherwise of course not.
I wasn’t asking you if you were rioting or accusing you of anything BTW - just asking whether you happened to have unfortunately got inadvertently ‘caught up in it‘ because you were already outside the stadium. Glad you enjoyed your cheesy thing 🙂
It’s ok to play the tear gassing down saying we weren’t the target, it drifted in from outside etc, me and my son briefly suffered discomfort and I was choking my guts up.
It’s not Ok to ‘play it down’ absolutely agree - I can’t see that anyone has done that, they are just stating facts that Brighton fans weren’t directly targeted - (I do agree though my original response to @Colonel Mustard was tasteless - for which I immediately apologised and voiced concern 🤗). It is relevant however, to know whether the police ’tear gassed’ Brighton fans by the same kind of ‘mistake’ that Liverpool fans were ‘tear gassed by mistake’ at the CL Final at the Stade de France...or whether as I suggested it was ‘collateral’. We may have twats in our support but on the whole I think Brighton fans are generally well behaved so it would be pretty shocking and upsetting if those in Athens had had tear gas turned on them by a trigger happy Greek police force. It was still showing a pretty negligent disregard for fans inside the stadium though imo regardless of whether our fans were the target.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wasn’t asking you if you were rioting or accusing you of anything BTW - just asking whether you happened to have unfortunately got inadvertently ‘caught up in it‘ because you were already outside the stadium. Glad you enjoyed your cheesy thing 🙂

It’s not Ok to ‘play it down’ absolutely agree - I can’t see that anyone has done that, they are just stating facts that Brighton fans weren’t directly targeted - (I do agree though my original response to @Colonel Mustard was tasteless - for which I immediately apologised and voiced concern 🤗). It is relevant however, to know whether the police ’tear gassed’ Brighton fans by the same kind of ‘mistake’ that Liverpool fans were ‘tear gassed by mistake’ at the CL Final at the Stade de France...or whether as I suggested it was ‘collateral’. We may have twats in our support but on the whole I think Brighton fans are generally well behaved so it would be pretty shocking and upsetting if those in Athens had had tear gas turned on them by a trigger happy Greek police force. It was still showing a pretty negligent disregard for fans inside the stadium though imo regardless of whether our fans were the target.
Not really negligent disregard in my view…….although it was unpleasant, I can’t imagine we were at the forefront of the minds of dozens of riot police faced with that lot outside the ground and doubt they would have expected the fumes to reach us. Just a bit unlucky.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
@Zeberdi we’re singing from the same hymn sheet, I was just sort of agreeing that it affected people differently age/location/fitness etc and to repeat myself most of us can laugh it off but it could have gone so wrong for a tiny minority. My comments were aimed at no one in particular.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How many will Barber ban do we reckon.

I reckon 5 is the magic number. Though he does like to punish, so maybe double figures?

Waiting game I guess.
Hopefully all those in the upper tier up against the polycarbonate, at least two, perhaps three worthy of it at the goal side and as many on the other side, together with at least two or three of the in the lower tier. It was just embarrassing to watch, pretty much from the start of the game, in the upper tier.

The ONLY reason some AEK fans were trying to get around the polycarbonate was because of the behaviour of two or three individuals who had somehow managed to get Brighton fans tickets.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

I missed the apology but don’t worry, it was quite unnecessary. I’m an old person so I understand that it’s ok to make jokes.

You’re quite right. My initial sense of shock and disgust at the tear gas quickly dissipated, like the gas itself, when I realised it hadn’t been deployed against us. We were accidental victims. No doubt someone could make a case for negligence against the police — and if a particularly vulnerable person suffered disproportionately then they probably will, and should. But I’ll make an alarming confession here. Looking back, I found the anecdotal value of the experience greater than the discomfort I felt. Don’t misunderstand me — ingesting tear gas was a truly dreadful sensation that I never wish to repeat. But f*** me, what a story to tell. And when I hear about crowds being dispersed with tear gas in the future, I’ll have a much better appreciation of the panic and fear involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills