Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens FC vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It’s not a case of Barber or anyone else 'not resisting it'. You’re aiming your anger at the club instead of at some of our fans (a very few) who behaved like idiots last night. Tell me what it actually takes for people to behave reasonably? Maybe a 5-game ban will finally make them see sense.
Anger? Really?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The only rioting i was going to get involved in would have been me starting it if the lovely restaurant had run out of that exquisite saganaki fried cheese. Otherwise of course not.
I wasn’t asking you if you were rioting or accusing you of anything BTW - just asking whether you happened to have unfortunately got inadvertently ‘caught up in it‘ because you were already outside the stadium. Glad you enjoyed your cheesy thing 🙂
It’s ok to play the tear gassing down saying we weren’t the target, it drifted in from outside etc, me and my son briefly suffered discomfort and I was choking my guts up.
It’s not Ok to ‘play it down’ absolutely agree - I can’t see that anyone has done that, they are just stating facts that Brighton fans weren’t directly targeted - (I do agree though my original response to @Colonel Mustard was tasteless - for which I immediately apologised and voiced concern 🤗). It is relevant however, to know whether the police ’tear gassed’ Brighton fans by the same kind of ‘mistake’ that Liverpool fans were ‘tear gassed by mistake’ at the CL Final at the Stade de France...or whether as I suggested it was ‘collateral’. We may have twats in our support but on the whole I think Brighton fans are generally well behaved so it would be pretty shocking and upsetting if those in Athens had had tear gas turned on them by a trigger happy Greek police force. It was still showing a pretty negligent disregard for fans inside the stadium though imo regardless of whether our fans were the target.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wasn’t asking you if you were rioting or accusing you of anything BTW - just asking whether you happened to have unfortunately got inadvertently ‘caught up in it‘ because you were already outside the stadium. Glad you enjoyed your cheesy thing 🙂

It’s not Ok to ‘play it down’ absolutely agree - I can’t see that anyone has done that, they are just stating facts that Brighton fans weren’t directly targeted - (I do agree though my original response to @Colonel Mustard was tasteless - for which I immediately apologised and voiced concern 🤗). It is relevant however, to know whether the police ’tear gassed’ Brighton fans by the same kind of ‘mistake’ that Liverpool fans were ‘tear gassed by mistake’ at the CL Final at the Stade de France...or whether as I suggested it was ‘collateral’. We may have twats in our support but on the whole I think Brighton fans are generally well behaved so it would be pretty shocking and upsetting if those in Athens had had tear gas turned on them by a trigger happy Greek police force. It was still showing a pretty negligent disregard for fans inside the stadium though imo regardless of whether our fans were the target.
Not really negligent disregard in my view…….although it was unpleasant, I can’t imagine we were at the forefront of the minds of dozens of riot police faced with that lot outside the ground and doubt they would have expected the fumes to reach us. Just a bit unlucky.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
@Zeberdi we’re singing from the same hymn sheet, I was just sort of agreeing that it affected people differently age/location/fitness etc and to repeat myself most of us can laugh it off but it could have gone so wrong for a tiny minority. My comments were aimed at no one in particular.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How many will Barber ban do we reckon.

I reckon 5 is the magic number. Though he does like to punish, so maybe double figures?

Waiting game I guess.
Hopefully all those in the upper tier up against the polycarbonate, at least two, perhaps three worthy of it at the goal side and as many on the other side, together with at least two or three of the in the lower tier. It was just embarrassing to watch, pretty much from the start of the game, in the upper tier.

The ONLY reason some AEK fans were trying to get around the polycarbonate was because of the behaviour of two or three individuals who had somehow managed to get Brighton fans tickets.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

I missed the apology but don’t worry, it was quite unnecessary. I’m an old person so I understand that it’s ok to make jokes.

You’re quite right. My initial sense of shock and disgust at the tear gas quickly dissipated, like the gas itself, when I realised it hadn’t been deployed against us. We were accidental victims. No doubt someone could make a case for negligence against the police — and if a particularly vulnerable person suffered disproportionately then they probably will, and should. But I’ll make an alarming confession here. Looking back, I found the anecdotal value of the experience greater than the discomfort I felt. Don’t misunderstand me — ingesting tear gas was a truly dreadful sensation that I never wish to repeat. But f*** me, what a story to tell. And when I hear about crowds being dispersed with tear gas in the future, I’ll have a much better appreciation of the panic and fear involved.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It wasn't pretty, granted - but not quite that bad!

1701468385835.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I missed the apology but don’t worry, it was quite unnecessary. I’m an old person so I understand that it’s ok to make jokes.

You’re quite right. My initial sense of shock and disgust at the tear gas quickly dissipated, like the gas itself, when I realised it hadn’t been deployed against us. We were accidental victims. No doubt someone could make a case for negligence against the police — and if a particularly vulnerable person suffered disproportionately then they probably will, and should. But I’ll make an alarming confession here. Looking back, I found the anecdotal value of the experience greater than the discomfort I felt. Don’t misunderstand me — ingesting tear gas was a truly dreadful sensation that I never wish to repeat. But f*** me, what a story to tell. And when I hear about crowds being dispersed with tear gas in the future, I’ll have a much better appreciation of the panic and fear involved.
Spot on…..having got what was, in effect, a very mild exposure to it, I have zero intention of getting anywhere near the full-on experience.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Hopefully all those in the upper tier up against the polycarbonate, at least two, perhaps three worthy of it at the goal side and as many on the other side, together with at least two or three of the in the lower tier. It was just embarrassing to watch, pretty much from the start of the game, in the upper tier.

The ONLY reason some AEK fans were trying to get around the polycarbonate was because of the behaviour of two or three individuals who had somehow managed to get Brighton fans tickets.
Though the guy in the grey shorts who was giving the pelvic thrusts at one point was hugely impressive.

Is that what twerking is?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Perhaps it didn’t affect you very much physically so for you not a big issue? “An English police spokesperson told the BBC: "A few supporters in the away section became unwell. It's not a pleasant feeling, especially if you have respiratory problems. If you've never experienced tear gas before, it's also frightening."- IMO foreseeability could be argued where using tear gas just outside the stadium on a still night could find it’s way into the stadium rather than dispersing - as Brighton Police Liaison Officer said; ‘A number of canisters were fired resulting in the gas coming back into the stadium due to the still night.” That suggests to me that there is a level of expertise in policing that understands how tear gas can build up and not disperse when there is no air movement. Someone with lung disease/severe asthma, breathing in tear gas, even in small amounts, in a comparatively enclosed area the impact can been serious and I am sure there are behind the scene questions being asked. Anyway, it is a horrible chemical, banned in warfare, and many human rights groups argue it should be banned from being used in civvy street too. Glad everyone is ok though, obviously.
I can’t read your posts any more, sorry. Often informative, but becoming increasingly like lawyer-speak every time. You obviously didn’t read my other posts on what happened, how affected I was (it was nasty) and how affected I saw others were (or you did, but launched into yet another technical diatribe to prove your point). Adios.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Was on my home from London via Gatwick. Bumped into the few final troops making their way back. Absolutely class. Well done all of you. Apparently Dunky was on their flight.

UTA on to Sunday. If we can get a result there. What a f***ing week.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Sitting in the airport heading to Milan for some calcio on our way home, what a cracking few days.
Having never visited Athens, just thought it was brilliant - people, weather, bars + food, sights. Brighton fans having a good time all over, just a highlight of my Albion supporting years.
We avoided the Brighton ‘advice’ prior to the match and drank outside the ground with AEK fans until 20 minutes before the game - surprised how it went post-game considering but there are idiots at all clubs - reality was all the nonsense outside was only caused by 50/60 youth.

On to AC Milan now ✈️

Willie

Sep 3, 2023
Must not have been too far from you as was at the back but half a dozen seats or so away from those who weren't exactly quiet about who they were supporting. Was not shocked at the reaction when we scored and they got lucky the most they got was a shouting at from the AEK fans and being asked to tone it down essentially. More idiotic was that one or two tried to sing while we were still in the home end while those ultras were attacking/trying to clamber round the perspex glass, until advised to pipe down by some friendly AEK fans.

Same experience with their fans, every one I spoke to in the ground was friendly and either congratulated us, helped some others with ordering food and kept those of us panicking because of the tear gas calm.

Also ended up at FBS. An amazing end to one of the best evenings I've had supporting this club. If this was my one trip following us in Europe, I'm so glad I picked this one.
Exactly that, Lucky. If things had turned sour there was definitely nowhere to go and absolutely no help at hand. Maybe they thought that paying 120 euros for the ticket entitled them to act the way they did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here