Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice Please - Bike for Mrs

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can anybody recommend lights to see where you are going off-road on a moonless night? Most lights just enable you to be seen.

PS: Heavy rain is one of the most dangerous of all conditions to cycle in. The view of a driver can be obscured very badly and the cyclist cannot see obstacles in the road if they are flooded.

Cycling is only statistically dangerous because of motor vehicles which cause 66% to 68% of the reported accidents. Two different Council funded reports. This does not mean cyclists are at fault for the remaining 34% to 32% though, other things like bad road surfaces, pedestrians, are included. About 10% are caused by cyclist error and probably about 10% by faulty bikes or clothing.

The most dangerous but infrequent cyclist danger is being bashed up from behind from a motor vehicle. They even have statistics at the time of day when accidents are most likely. Rush hours when there are more cars and cyclists on the road.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anybody recommend lights to see where you are going off-road on a moonless night? Most lights just enable you to be seen.
Start at 3 figures and keep going.
They end up begin more expensive than your bike.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Start at 3 figures and keep going.
They end up begin more expensive than your bike.

That's why I have not bought any. Worth about £50 to me. Still looking. Technology is changing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's why I have not bought any. Worth about £50 to me. Still looking. Technology is changing.
That makes it a curious question to ask.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cycling Accidents

Common Cycling Accidents

Motorist emerging into path of cyclist
Motorist turning across path of cyclist
Cyclist riding into the path of a motor vehicle, often riding off a pavement
Cyclist and motorist going straight ahead
Cyclist turning right from a major road and from a minor road
Child cyclist playing or riding too fast
Injury Patterns

Limb Injuries
Limb injuries are common in cyclist casualties, with over 40% suffering arm injuries and around 25% suffering leg injuries.

Chest/Abdomen Injuries
Chest and abdomen injuries occur much less frequently (5%), but are often serious. When they do occur they are often accompanied by head injuries.

Head Injuries
Head injuries, ranging from fatal skull fractures and brain damage to minor concussion and cuts, are very common injuries to cyclists. Hospital data shows that over 40% of cyclists, and 45% of child cyclists, suffer head injuries. A study of 116 fatal cyclist accidents in London and rural areas found over 70% of the cyclist fatalities in London had moderate or serious head injuries in London, and over 80% of those killed in collisions on rural roads.

Cycling Accidents - Facts and Figures | Cycling Safety Advice and Information | Road Safety | RoSPA

Broken collar bone is another one.

More detailed stats:

TRL - Collisions involving pedal cyclists on Britain's roads: establishing the causes - Road User Safety - TRL Reports - Reports & Publications - Online Store

The best safety advice is to avoid doing stupid things on your bike.

UK accident statistics for pedestrians on the pavement for collisions with cars and bicycles - a Freedom of Information request to Office for National Statistics - WhatDoTheyKnow

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Or alternatively you scrap all the good advise and go for modern but retro classic off t'internet.

Wiggle | Charge Ladies Decanter 2012 | Hybrid City Bikes

I recently listened to an uber geeky interview with the owner, and he came across really well.

She would like that and would likely dress up as Mary Poppins to go into town and try to ride back with onions hanging out of the basket .... the whole deal! But I'm not going to indulge her to that extent ... she'll get mainstream for sure!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
She would like that and would likely dress up as Mary Poppins to go into town and try to ride back with onions hanging out of the basket .... the whole deal! But I'm not going to indulge her to that extent ... she'll get mainstream for sure!!
Shame.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I know its not COOL to mention HALFORDS on here [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] but this looks a nice lady's hybrid, with a big discount:

Halfords | Apollo Etienne Hybrid Bike - 19"

It's not about 'cool', it's about a satisfactory level of service. Halfords generally cannot provide this. Chain shops are quite hit and miss - it depends who you get served by. It could be the kid in a Saturday job or a full-time, experienced bike mechanic.

I usually open with the simple question "what do you ride?". If there's a decent answer then I trust them to know what they're talking about more.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not about 'cool', it's about a satisfactory level of service. Halfords generally cannot provide this. Chain shops are quite hit and miss - it depends who you get served by. It could be the kid in a Saturday job or a full-time, experienced bike mechanic.

I usually open with the simple question "what do you ride?". If there's a decent answer then I trust them to know what they're talking about more.

Yes, I know all that, which is why my Giant hybrid came from our highly respected local independant Peter Hansford Chandlers Ford

They are expensive though, and [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] wouldn't get a lot of choice there in his <£300 budget.

There's also nothing to say that you can't BUY a bike in Halfords, and have it looked after by somebody more expert. As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] rightly points out, most of the bikes come from the same factories anyway.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good to hear Perseus has clarified his point, which was actually to say "don't buy a crappy, ancient, badly fitted, dented helmet which has probably been in a crash".

At least now hopefully the O/P will think twice about his plan to buy a crappy, ancient, badly fitted, dented helmet which has probably been in a crash, for his wife.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Good to hear Perseus has clarified his point, which was actually to say "don't buy a crappy, ancient, badly fitted, dented helmet which has probably been in a crash".

At least now hopefully the O/P will think twice about his plan to buy a crappy, ancient, badly fitted, dented helmet which has probably been in a crash, for his wife.

Yes I did see one on ebay that with a a bit of paint and a couple dabs of glue would've been the business, now reconsidering!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

lolz

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That Charge Decanter from Wiggle is beautiful! £235 is a bargain. Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gears, loverly! You should think twice about it before dismissing it...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, I know all that, which is why my Giant hybrid came from our highly respected local independant Peter Hansford Chandlers Ford

They are expensive though, and [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] wouldn't get a lot of choice there in his <£300 budget.

There's also nothing to say that you can't BUY a bike in Halfords, and have it looked after by somebody more expert. As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] rightly points out, most of the bikes come from the same factories anyway.

Correct, I couldn't give a stuff about the credibility of the person selling it to me, it was actually the reason I asked on here, thinking I'd get relatively impartial and decent advice, which I have. My problem with Halfords is that I perceive those sorts of places (whatever the product - see Carpetright, DFS etc) buy real cheap and make it look all nice and shiny put a few bits and pieces on and sell a bit of junk at mainstream price which 12 months later is sitting in bits or such like. An exaggeration but you get the point, and particularly wary of the "own brand" stuff. In saying that I'm just back from a trip to Evans and no more impressed there than I was at Halfords, and he tried to jam me with the own brand thing and nothing else .... so it's likely to be a shot in the dark when I do it anyway!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That Charge Decanter from Wiggle is beautiful! £235 is a bargain. Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gears, loverly! You should think twice about it before dismissing it...

I would but she has also mentioned cycling a bit more recreationally, for instance we're going to the Loire Valley next year for a week and that could be a bit of decent cycling ... not sure the 3 speed Mary Pop's thing will be any good for that

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would but she has also mentioned cycling a bit more recreationally, for instance we're going to the Loire Valley next year for a week and that could be a bit of decent cycling ... not sure the 3 speed Mary Pop's thing will be any good for that

You may have a point, but she'll struggle to find the comfort and quality at that price range. Even with 3 gears, that would look superb cruising through the Loire Valley! Too much choice Rugrat, too much choice!!
Road.cc review
http://road.cc/content/news/36524-first-look-charge-2012-range-launch-pt-2

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You may have a point, but she'll struggle to find the comfort and quality at that price range. Even with 3 gears, that would look superb cruising through the Loire Valley! Too much choice Rugrat, too much choice!!
Road.cc review
http://road.cc/content/news/36524-first-look-charge-2012-range-launch-pt-2

Are these sorts of things a bit of a compromise

Trek T30 2012 Women's Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles

... so still got a bit of a retro look to it but got some gears which in my world says it's easier to ride around the country lanes :shrug:

They just look so heavy and my Mrs isn't the beefiest! Oh and the need to go on a bike rack?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here