Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice Please - Bike for Mrs

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks to everyone for the help ... possibly a bit more confused than before I started but I'll go through it all in the morning and figure out a plan. It is a pressie but I accept it would be better for her to try it first ... will come up with a cunning plan!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Helmets: don't use them. Unless they are new and undamaged and fit properly every time, they are a waste of time. Cycling by mile travelled is still safer than walking, but you have to be paranoid. Cars have blind spots and some drivers too.

Tell that to the guy who I was next to in hospital last week, who wouldn't have been there if he wasn't wearing a helmet, he would have been dead.

Helmets a waste of time, you are an idiot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks to everyone for the help ... possibly a bit more confused than before I started but I'll go through it all in the morning and figure out a plan. It is a pressie but I accept it would be better for her to try it first ... will come up with a cunning plan!
You're thinking of spending £300 on a bike for her sister/cousin/a work colleague who are about the same size as your wife?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're thinking of spending £300 on a bike for her sister/cousin/a work colleague who are about the same size as your wife?
or you have been selected/asked at work to buy the bike for a colleague from the money collected, as my wife would ask questions if I said I was going to pay that sort of money out for another female

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
as my wife would ask questions if I said I was going to pay that sort of money out for another female
That was my jolly jape.

Obviously not jolly enough.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

It's already been on her radar and it's been talked about, no chance. By the way any brands that I should aim for or steer away from? The prob I've got going into the bike shop is that they may just want to sell me what's best for them (most profit, one's they can't shift) so it's be nice to be armed with some specifs!

or you have been selected/asked at work to buy the bike for a colleague from the money collected, as my wife would ask questions if I said I was going to pay that sort of money out for another female

I'm unemployed - a mystery why, but I am :(

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's already been on her radar and it's been talked about, no chance. By the way any brands that I should aim for or steer away from? The prob I've got going into the bike shop is that they may just want to sell me what's best for them (most profit, one's they can't shift) so it's be nice to be armed with some specifs!

I think brands like Trek, Specialized, Marin, all make good bikes at this price point. As others have said, 2013 bikes have just come out, so old stock of 2011 and 2012 bikes are being discounted.

Something like this maybe ideal for a ladies town runaround and leave some in your budget for lights, helmet and accessories:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/t10-2011-womens-hybrid-bike-ec001535

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
All tyres are the same thickness. The knobbly tyres just collect mud and nails, thorns which means more punctures not less. Only a few times a year are they advantageous and on most surfaces ordinary tyres and more efficient.

That is ridiculous.

Helmets: don't use them. Unless they are new and undamaged and fit properly every time, they are a waste of time. Cycling by mile travelled is still safer than walking, but you have to be paranoid. Cars have blind spots and some drivers too.

That is even more ridiculous. They save lives. I owe my continued good health to them and I think my dad would have been killed last week, were it not for his helmet.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
That is ridiculous.

That is even more ridiculous. They save lives. I owe my continued good health to them and I think my dad would have been killed last week, were it not for his helmet.

Is it me or is [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] actually correct, he is saying only use helmets that are new, undamaged and fit properly, otherwise they are a waste of time. Thats spot on, if you have an ill fitting helmet it will not do you much good at all as when you fall off it is likely to fall off your head. He isn't saying don't use helmets he is saying don't use damaged or ill fitting helmets.

Everyone is jumping on him without actually reading what he has written.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it me or is [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] actually correct, he is saying only use helmets that are new, undamaged and fit properly, otherwise they are a waste of time. Thats spot on, if you have an ill fitting helmet it will not do you much good at all as when you fall off it is likely to fall off your head. He isn't saying don't use helmets he is saying don't use damaged or ill fitting helmets.

Everyone is jumping on him without actually reading what he has written.

No. He's Mr.Perma-Wrong, and never more so than in this thread.

Helmets: don't use them. Unless they are new and undamaged and fit properly every time, they are a waste of time

He's categorically stated "Helmets: Don't use them", which is stupid. He's then added some more, which erroneously suggests that wearing your helmet so it fits properly is somehow difficult. It's not. The 'new' part is nonsense too - why on earth does it need to be new?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Helmets a waste of time, you are an idiot.

Very much that. I had my brain mushed a bit whilst wearing one. If i hadn't had that on then i wouldn't be here today typing cantankerous drivel on the website we all tend to love. Ok the world wouldn't have been different for many or for anyone for long, but stating that they are a waste of time is really the idiot's motto.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
No. He's Mr.Perma-Wrong, and never more so than in this thread.

He's categorically stated "Helmets: Don't use them", which is stupid. He's then added some more, which erroneously suggests that wearing your helmet so it fits properly is somehow difficult. It's not. The 'new' part is nonsense too - why on earth does it need to be new?

Ok new is not right but damaged is a no no and ill fitting which a lot of cheap and nasty helmets can quite easily be are a lottery, if its too loose it can slip off. My Son is prime candidate of that he almost strangled himself as he had the strap too loose and when he fell off it slipped off his head and strangled him. As it was he got away with no injury but now I make sure his strap is tight under he chin and adjusted to his head size.

Didn't realise the history of him to be honest but what he said to me wasn't saying don't wear them as a statement he was saying don't wear them unless they are clean and fit correctly as they could do more damage than bad.

For the record helmets should be worn at all times, I come from a generation who grew up with no helmets as kids so it is a hard jump to wearing helmets but something which really is a must in this day and age.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn't realise the history of him to be honest but what he said to me wasn't saying don't wear them as a statement he was saying don't wear them unless they are clean and fit correctly as they could do more damage than bad.

That much is obvious though. It's like saying "Seat-belts: Don't wear them. Unless they are in good order they are a waste of time"

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well FWIW I wouldn't have given a second thought to a helmet but I now realise it will be mandatory so that's helped too thanks

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So what do you think is the difference between a 700C 18mm and a 700C 40mm tyre then???

Also, wear a helmet. Even if it's just a head accessory. I've been cycling for 25 years and always worn one - but thankfully it's never been needed. A mate of mine would be dead now if it wasn't for his according to his surgeon and intensive care doctors, he's got the scars where the helmet dug in on impact to prove it!

Tyre information:

Cycle Tyres and Tubes

Knobbly tyres are needed in very few occasions, ironically the current weather may provide conditions where they could make a difference off-road. Tyres can be a bit of a con when the cheap ones perform and last as long as more expensive ones.

Helmets should have read "I don't use them". I do not cycle on busy roads in heavy rain. Then you need hi-vis clothing and a helmet.

The pertinent facts are helmets have to be undamaged and fit properly and made this century with the safety regulations that were introduced because the original ones weren't any good.

If you cycle regularly in heavy traffic a cycle helmet could very well help with crashes when the cyclist is hit by a van or a bus at under 20 mph. Head injuries can be serious with minor hits. Even going flying over a bonnet of a car, a helmet may help.

Otherwise, walking is more dangerous statistically, so an argument could put forward that pedestrians should wear cycle helmets.

Helmets have to be undamaged or else they do not work. They have been tested.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are all similar in a very competitive market.
Obviously the big boys are Trek, Specialized, Giant. Dawes are pretty strong in this market.
There's a few UK retro classics about eg, Pashley, Claud Butler.

I wouldn't get too hung up on a brand, they do all pretty much come out of the same factories in Taiwan, anyway.

When you start looking you'll find an extensive range in and around your price point.
It's pretty much entry level so it'll just be a case of picking the one that closely matches Mrs Rugrat, what she intends to you it for, and where.
So after she's found one that properly fits and is a joy to ride, it then becomes all about gears, wheels/tyres.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Advice Please - Bike for Mrs

My advice? Get rid mate, if she's done it once she'll do it again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tyre information:

Cycle Tyres and Tubes

Knobbly tyres are needed in very few occasions, ironically the current weather may provide conditions where they could make a difference off-road. Tyres can be a bit of a con when the cheap ones perform and last as long as more expensive ones.

Helmets should have read "I don't use them". I do not cycle on busy roads in heavy rain. Then you need hi-vis clothing and a helmet.

The pertinent facts are helmets have to be undamaged and fit properly and made this century with the safety regulations that were introduced because the original ones weren't any good.

If you cycle regularly in heavy traffic a cycle helmet could very well help with crashes when the cyclist is hit by a van or a bus at under 20 mph. Head injuries can be serious with minor hits. Even going flying over a bonnet of a car, a helmet may help.

Otherwise, walking is more dangerous statistically, so an argument could put forward that pedestrians should wear cycle helmets.

I thought you may have just kept your head down, but alas no....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here