Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Ice Man said:
Henderson made a lot of dodgy errors towards the end of last season, but was he dropped? No.

Completely unfair, oh and a goalkeeper will always look to blame someone else when they make an error, it's in their nature.

Course he wasn't dropped. Not after Kuipers went for him!

London Irish said:
I'd love to know how McGhee was responsible for a rotten Kuipers clearance at Bramall Lane that led the Sheffield Utd's decisive winning goal against us, and how also McGhee was responsible for Kuipers utterly cowardly attempt to blame that entirely on the young defender Lynch.

The only fault I would assign to McGhee in this instance was playing Kuipers in the first place ahead of Henderson!

But he was being fair to Kuipers by giving the man in possession a chance to keep the shirt with his performance - a chance Kuipers decisively failed to take at Bramall Lane!

Anyone who saw that game could not fail to understand why Kuipers was dropped for standard footballing reasons.

Wasn't the fall out with Kuipers over him being dropped in favour of Chagnieue at the Southampton game? This was weeks before Sheff Utd.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
I'd love to know how McGhee was responsible for a rotten Kuipers clearance at Bramall Lane that led the Sheffield Utd's decisive winning goal against us, and how also McGhee was responsible for Kuipers utterly cowardly attempt to blame that entirely on the young defender Lynch.

The only fault I would assign to McGhee in this instance was playing Kuipers in the first place ahead of Henderson!

But he was being fair to Kuipers by giving the man in possession a chance to keep the shirt with his performance - a chance Kuipers decisively failed to take at Bramall Lane!

Anyone who saw that game could not fail to understand why Kuipers was dropped for standard footballing reasons.

... and replaced by a French clown, who was shaky, to say the least, at Southampton... terrible decision by MM that caused the whole problem...

Incidentally, in my eyes, Hendo still has a lot to prove... the FDM doesn't... Hendo was poor towards the end of last season, and the FDM may well have done a better job (we'll never know)... the defence seem to have more confidence in the latter...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ice Man said:
Henderson made a lot of dodgy errors towards the end of last season, but was he dropped? No.

Completely unfair, oh and a goalkeeper will always look to blame someone else when they make an error, it's in their nature.

Snap!...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Perhaps because the Championship-standard No2 had f***ed off disloyally to Boston?

Chaigneau even if good enough was injured most of the time and we were never going to play the youth Martin/Sullivan.

It certainly would have been nice for McGhee to have had the option to pick someone else to put pressure on Hendo, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

... then MM shouldn't have dropped Kuipers in the 1st place!!... do keep up...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think most people are in agreement that the money spent on Henderson was money that didn't need to be spent. FDM + one or more understudies would have been quite sufficient. It was patently obvious that having spent a fair old chunk of the club's limited resources on Henderson, FDM was going to be ousted the first time he had a less than sparkling game. No wonder he wasn't happy with the manager.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
I think most people are in agreement that the money spent on Henderson was money that didn't need to be spent. FDM + one or more understudies would have been quite sufficient. It was patently obvious that having spent a fair old chunk of the club's limited resources on Henderson, FDM was going to be ousted the first time he had a less than sparkling game. No wonder he wasn't happy with the manager.

No that is spot on...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tom Hark said:
The manager who did us the biggest favour with Dodgy Dan was Peter Taylor who unaccountably gave him a string of Under-21 caps he blatantly didn't deserve. Every manager since has been suckered into thinking DD can add value to a side. Leeds took a whole season to catch on (but only cos DD had been out injured half that time - else he would have been out the door in the January transfer window) and whichever Championship manager is gormless enough to sign him before the season starts will find out soon enough that the guy's a complete liability.

He's actually very highly thought of at Leeds and is getting a good preseason in, getting fully fit, he was outstanding this week :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Back to the main point of the thread... how anyone can compare MM favourably to MA is beyond me... MA built a successful team/squad out of nothing... MM's team seems to get progressively worse... the bottom-line is results, and on that score, there is no comparison... MA every time...

On top of that MM has p1ssed off a series of players... his tactics, team selection and substitutions are sometimes breathtakingly stupid and, while he has obviously made a good profit in the transfer market, he has broiught in more duds than good signings... MA, on the other hand, did the opposite...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Starry said:
He's actually very highly thought of at Leeds and is getting a good preseason in, getting fully fit, he was outstanding this week :)

You keep saying that Starry. And Leeds keep not playing him when it matters.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Starry said:

... yes, but some on here will never accept that he is a good player... they seem to prefer the "inert" Mayo for some reason...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tom Hark said:
You keep saying that Starry. And Leeds keep not playing him when it matters.

Why would we give a non fit player 90 minutes in a league game?

Blackwell may be a chump but he's not dopey :)

Dan is confident of being fully match fit for the start of the season, probably play against Forest and be back on his way.

MA and MM both had their failures and succeses in the transfer market. They both fell out with players too.
But one thing MA used to say if your good enough you keep the shirt. MM does not do this.
Look at last season we beat Hull at home 2-1 the ten days later we beat QPR 1-0 at home. So what does MM do at Luton? Change the winning side and we lose heavily. The reason he gave was to give players a rest for Millwall. We all know that a club of our resources cannot rest players as we don't have the players good enough to step in. You also should never change a winning side unless injuries force your hand.
This in my opinion is where MM differs to MA. MA would never have tinkered at Luton like MM.
At Luton is where our season started falling off the rails.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
B.W. said:
... yes, but some on here will never accept that he is a good player... they seem to prefer the "inert" Mayo for some reason...

At least someone has noticed. Would still use him as a squad player in centre mid.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Quite agree, so under McGhee, let's look at the results:

Highest finishing position in the league since 1991

First time we've spent two years in the second tier since 1989-1991

Massive surplus of transfer fees generated for the club in the region of £2.5m

30,000 fans at Cardiff

Every one of those superb achievements.

Last seasons gutless relegation is also there and the signings we cannot get rid of and the use of the press too often to air differences with players.

Sadly I can only see this season being a continuation of the gutless football we saw last season. Whilst I want to see Brighton do well, I can cope with the gutless stuff for a while if it means the end of McGhee and we then turn it round.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Would rather off the wage bill or Nicolas

I would rather Nicolas but for now I would rather play Mayo then Chippy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here