Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Anyone who saw that game could not fail to understand why Kuipers was dropped for standard footballing reasons.

Except ultimately the whole Kuipers thing had very little to do with football and in fact McGhee was correct to ship him out, however the way he was dragging it through the press still in May / June time was not the best policy.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
I would rather Nicolas but for now I would rather play Mayo then Chippy.

Mayo has had one good game in the last 8 years in central midfield and that was at Southampton. There was a reason when we were in the bottom league that he was moved out of midfield and that was because even at that level he was not good enough. It is not something that needs or should be revisited.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Mayo has had one good game in the last 8 years in central midfield and that was at Southampton. There was a reason when we were in the bottom league that he was moved out of midfield and that was because even at that level he was not good enough. It is not something that needs or should be revisited.

I actually felt he did ok whenever I saw him there last season. His mobility (not speed mind) and defensive ability meant Hammond was could push forward more and looked better. Mayo also doesn't panic as much in Midfield so his distribution is simple and better. Players do improve Unc, players like Petit and Mendieta were average fullbacks til someone converted them to centre mid. Ok Mayo has played there before and not looked great but experience can be a great asset. However lack of pace isn't but doesn't matter so much in the centre as it does at FB.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
I actually felt he did ok whenever I saw him there last season. His mobility (not speed mind) and defensive ability meant Hammond was could push forward more and looked better. Mayo also doesn't panic as much in Midfield so his distribution is simple and better. Players do improve Unc, players like Petit and Mendieta were average fullbacks til someone converted them to centre mid. Ok Mayo has played there before and not looked great but experience can be a great asset. However lack of pace isn't but doesn't matter so much in the centre as it does at FB.

He is certainly not a holding midifielder. He liked to get forward when he played there. Simple fact is we have better options in Reid, Fraser, Chamberlain etc for that area. Also we have a lack of fullbacks, so why convert one of our few that can play there into a midfielder, that is the sort of thing McGhee will do....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Would rather off the wage bill or Nicolas

Agreed...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
B.W. said:
Back to the main point of the thread... how anyone can compare MM favourably to MA is beyond me... MA built a successful team/squad out of nothing... MM's team seems to get progressively worse... the bottom-line is results, and on that score, there is no comparison... MA every time...

On top of that MM has p1ssed off a series of players... his tactics, team selection and substitutions are sometimes breathtakingly stupid and, while he has obviously made a good profit in the transfer market, he has broiught in more duds than good signings... MA, on the other hand, did the opposite...

That sums it up perfectly.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
He is certainly not a holding midifielder. He liked to get forward when he played there. Simple fact is we have better options in Reid, Fraser, Chamberlain etc for that area. Also we have a lack of fullbacks, so why convert one of our few that can play there into a midfielder, that is the sort of thing McGhee will do....

But he so clearly can't play LB anymore, everytime I saw him last year he was shocking. Reid never imposes himself enough in the middle and Fraser and Chamberlain are still young.

garry nelsons left foot said:
Do you honestly think he would have done that?

Why not? When Hendo was signed permanently, he was put on the bench, not in the team straight away.

McGhee clearly likes Hendo otherwise he wouldn't have signed him, but just like Adams, he is no respector of reputations and will play who he thinks will do the best job for the team, eg. dropping Currie and Knight to secure our great win at Upton Park against West Ham.

Last edited:

B.W. said:
FDM may well have done a better job (we'll never know)... the defence seem to have more confidence in the latter...

Yeah, I can see Joel Lynch having LOADS of confidence in him :lol:

B.W. said:
... then MM shouldn't have dropped Kuipers in the 1st place!!... do keep up...
He requested his move to Boston after being dropped for Henderson, not Chaigneau - do keep up!

Last edited:

Tom Hark said:
I think most people are in agreement that the money spent on Henderson was money that didn't need to be spent.

£20k on a guy now playing international football is a bad investment?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The players are not getting paid enough,. Some of them are not worth the extra dosh. But paying peanuts gets duff players.

Michel Kuipers is the exception. He gets paid peanuts and is the best keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flirting with relegation and home defeats next season ?????

Uncle Buck said:
Except ultimately the whole Kuipers thing had very little to do with football and in fact McGhee was correct to ship him out, however the way he was dragging it through the press still in May / June time was not the best policy.

At the time, I think you implied it was a decision by the club to encourage an expensive player off our wage bill. I thought at the time there might be possibly something in that.

But surely the decision to keep Kuipers now has exploded that theory somewhat? The falling out with McGhee would have been enough excuse to move him on, instead his apology has been accepted.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Brian Horton made the best transfer signings. MM has the best tactics. Adams may the most realistic for the limitations of the lower divisions. Peter Tayler was the luckiest.

New manager !!! Who ????

I think I would get Brian Horton back ? !?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Its very hot today !!!!!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
London Irish said:
Why not? When Hendo was signed permanently, he was put on the bench, not in the team straight away.

McGhee clearly likes Hendo otherwise he wouldn't have signed him, but just like Adams, he is no respector of reputations and will play who he thinks will do the best job for the team, eg. dropping Currie and Knight to secure our great win at Upton Park against West Ham.

Every gambler has to get it right once in a while.

;)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
See Curry thread.

When Warnock gets the sack in February, would you like him as our new Manager ???

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
We have been spoilt with decent managers over the last few years and we have had a lot of success too. We have one poor season and people get uptight.

For me Adams was one of the best managers we have ever had. He had something about him, but saying that he came along at the right time, if he was to come back tomorrow things would be different I’m sure.

A big question to some of the McGhee out brigade, if we don’t start off on a great run are you going to get on the manager and teams back? Because if you do we're in for another rough season.

D

Deleted member 2719

Gullsworth said:
I have always thought MA was a good manager at the Albion and put together a team that played good attractive football. I think overall he is an overated manager though and the teams we have come up against which he has managed have not been that much better than us. That is with more recources.....bigger clubs/stadia ect and the difference has not been that great. As for him handling players better than MM...............well thats got to be a bit of a joke ............right? Mickey Adams had a good spell at this club and most people seem to view him with rose-tinted spectacles. He has in the past humilated players (FDM) walked out on clubs (Fulham) and cut short a pre-season tour of Ireland because he fell out with the Irish players "for taking the fixtures too seriously" ...................He like MM has made what we the paying public and armchair experts would call errors and i am sure none of us knows what the full story is with a lot of incidents we hear about

I am not a die-in -the wool- MM fan but some people like to compare him with MA and rip him too shreds when MA IMO was not as good a manager as some might suggest.

Do you think MA would have handled FDM's sulky fit as well as MM? Or would he have got rid of him altogether? I think the FDM incident made it clear to the players that if you are dropped you Knuckle down and try and regain your place (Gary Hart!!!) I have a feeling FDM should be grateful for having this chance to prove To MM he has regained his form and deserves the no 1 shirt......I have my doubts

Mickey Adams would have given him that chance!!

These rose tinted glasses you talk about - are you wearing any?

Mickey Adams did not walk out on Fulham he acheived promotion and got sacked because they wanted a higher profile manager Kevin Keegan.

Hardly fair in those circumstances!

As for MA treatment to FDM it worked he played some excellent stuff from there on being a key member of our team.
MM treatment of trolley was humilating to him aswell did it turn out to work for the team.

:nono:

I would also suggest it hasn't worked his handling of Kuipersgate as we had an young inexperience keeper in Hendo not performing well when we needed it most and no one to turn to.
Let's hope we can see the great Dutchman in proper contention for a 1st team place.

I respected Mickey Adams and understood his reasons to move on and i am sure 99% of fans could understand it.

I am not saying MA is the best manager in the league but he is someone who appears to learn by any mistakes where it does not appear a certain Mr McGhee can.

Mickey Adams:bowdown:

Mark McGhee:nono:

D

Deleted member 2719

Finchley Seagull said:
What about MAs treatment of Cameron and Cartwright?

The cameron thing was a bit naughty i don't know what the Cartwright thing was , so no comment on that one.

The thing i found so different between them is MA reconised his mistakes and would not put up with lack of passion or performance and he was consistent with these views.
I have never had a problem with disapline but what i do have is a problem with inconsistency.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here