Adams vs McGhee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Bulldog said:
Are'nt we forgetting last season though? Did'nt we finish the season with the least amount of wins, and the lowest point's total out of any team in the Championship, League 1 and League 2?

Nah, I went to most of the games, I think you can only genuinely fight a war of attrition for so long before relegation is inevitable, and that's what happened to us, would have been nice to get another year in the Championship but sooner or later, we were going down.

It is frankly an impossible job to rebuild the team - which McGhee is having to do now - at the level of competitiveness of the Championship with the resources we give him, Gradi at Crewe has the same problem, he lasted a year longer at second-tier level, credit to him (by a whisker in 2004-5 though, on GD, -20 Crewe, -21 Gills).

It will be hard enough to get the likes of Lynch, Robinson, Gatting, Chamberlain etc acclimatised to league football at League 1 level, absolutely impossible at Championship level. These are the resources that McGhee has to work with, that's the bottom line.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

It will be hard enough to get the likes of Lynch, Robinson, Gatting, Chamberlain etc acclimatised to league football at League 1 level, absolutely impossible at Championship level. These are the resources that McGhee has to work with, that's the bottom line.

It is Possable if the payer is good enough.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
No, I'm suggesting we don't have the resources to compete anywhere else other than the bottom 8 of the Championship, and that no manager, Coppell, Taylor, Adams or McGhee, can really change that.

On that point, I agree - whoever the manager, a Championship survival battle is the best we can really aim for until Falmer arrives. However, results have never been my major issue with McGhee.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Lee Steele was a fat overweight drink driver, who spent most days in Burgeess Hill Mcdonalds.

:D

But to be fair, at least he worked the burgers off in training, by contrast Leon Knight would still be driving his mini round the M25 :thumbsup:

These two fine footballers can compare notes on their Albion experiences now that they are playing at the same level :lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
:D

But to be fair, at least he worked the burgers off in training, by contrast Leon Knight would still be driving his mini round the M25 :thumbsup:

These two fine footballers can compare notes on their Albion experiences now that they are playing at the same level :lol:

To be fair Leon had the body any Woman would die for :love:

Steele however.
whale-shark-picture-02.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
It will be hard enough to get the likes of Lynch, Robinson, Gatting, Chamberlain etc acclimatised to league football at League 1 level, absolutely impossible at Championship level.

Lynch was doing just fine in the Championship

Repugnant Toad said:
However, results have never been my major issue with McGhee.

Style of football?

Grating Scottish accent?

The fresh, exciting hopes of your youth slipping away into the grinding mediocrity of your twentysomething years?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Happy Seagull said:
Shame he pissed away all our recent cash then huh?

100k Adams gets us Zamora
100k McGhee gets us Turi :dunce:

And you reckon that you need the same money to buy a striker at the fourth level as at the second level. I suppose you ignore the fact that McGhee turned a Coppell reserve into a £1.5 million player and got £500k for Harding.

Finchley Seagull said:
And you reckon that you need the same money to buy a striker at the fourth level as at the second level. I suppose you ignore the fact that McGhee turned a Coppell reserve into a £1.5 million player and got £500k for Harding.

And isn't that 4th level buy now playing 1st level football?

No matter how you dress it up, MM has mainly been a flop in the transfer market. He never got us 500k for Harding, that was a tribunal decision.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Style of football?

Grating Scottish accent?

The fresh, exciting hopes of your youth slipping away into the grinding mediocrity of your twentysomething years?

Yeah, all of those. My youth was never that fresh and exciting though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I like the story from last season of how a player with a foreign accent was griping in the Albion dressing room about 'only' being on three thousand pounds a week. Which he could tell from the gobsmacked non-sympathetic response of his non-foreign accented team-mates was completely the wrong thing to say... Wooooops! :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Hark said:
I like the story from last season of how a player with a foreign accent was griping in the Albion dressing room about 'only' being on three thousand pounds a week. Which he could tell from the gobsmacked non-sympathetic response of his non-foreign accented team-mates was completely the wrong thing to say... Wooooops! :lol:

* edited to say it's only a story and I don't believe there's a word of truth in it :angel: *

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I have always thought MA was a good manager at the Albion and put together a team that played good attractive football. I think overall he is an overated manager though and the teams we have come up against which he has managed have not been that much better than us. That is with more recources.....bigger clubs/stadia ect and the difference has not been that great. As for him handling players better than MM...............well thats got to be a bit of a joke ............right? Mickey Adams had a good spell at this club and most people seem to view him with rose-tinted spectacles. He has in the past humilated players (FDM) walked out on clubs (Fulham) and cut short a pre-season tour of Ireland because he fell out with the Irish players "for taking the fixtures too seriously" ...................He like MM has made what we the paying public and armchair experts would call errors and i am sure none of us knows what the full story is with a lot of incidents we hear about

I am not a die-in -the wool- MM fan but some people like to compare him with MA and rip him too shreds when MA IMO was not as good a manager as some might suggest.

Do you think MA would have handled FDM's sulky fit as well as MM? Or would he have got rid of him altogether? I think the FDM incident made it clear to the players that if you are dropped you Knuckle down and try and regain your place (Gary Hart!!!) I have a feeling FDM should be grateful for having this chance to prove To MM he has regained his form and deserves the no 1 shirt......I have my doubts Mickey Adams would have given him that chance!!

Tom Hark said:
Lynch was doing just fine in the Championship

Like even the most promising player, he had his good days and he had his bad last season, same as El Abd, same as Robinson.

But certainly Lynch looks the best of the current crop.

Let's hope McGhee's critics within the board will be able to come up with enough cash so that we're not forced to sell him, eh?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Happy Seagull said:
And isn't that 4th level buy now playing 1st level football?

No matter how you dress it up, MM has mainly been a flop in the transfer market. He never got us 500k for Harding, that was a tribunal decision.

So you think that Zamora would have come straight in from Bristol Rovers to first division football and scored goals.

How has Mark McGhee been mainly a flop in the transfer market. He has made a huge profit in transfers. His only mistakes have been Molango, McCammon, Turienzo, Chaigneau and Dodd (who we were unlucky with). Did Adams not sign Cameron, Newhouse, Palmer, Pitcher, Carr and Lehmann.

McGhee has signed Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, Henderson and players like Blayney, McShane, Iwelumo and Benjamin on loan who have done well for us. He has also been happy to bring in youth team players and brought Butters into the team.

Finally, of course he played a part in the Harding fee. He constantly built him up, helped him get into the under 21s and gave him a regular place in the team. I suppose you believe that tribunals roll a dice to decide a fee and ignore these factors.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Finchley Seagull said:
So you think that Zamora would have come straight in from Bristol Rovers to first division football and scored goals.

How has Mark McGhee been mainly a flop in the transfer market. He has made a huge profit in transfers. His only mistakes have been Molango, McCammon, Turienzo, Chaigneau and Dodd (who we were unlucky with). Did Adams not sign Cameron, Newhouse, Palmer, Pitcher, Carr and Lehmann.

McGhee has signed Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, Henderson and players like Blayney, McShane, Iwelumo and Benjamin on loan who have done well for us. He has also been happy to bring in youth team players and brought Butters into the team.

Finally, of course he played a part in the Harding fee. He constantly built him up, helped him get into the under 21s and gave him a regular place in the team. I suppose you believe that tribunals roll a dice to decide a fee and ignore these factors.

:clap: :clap: credit where credits due!:drink:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Happy Seagull said:
IMO MA wouldn't have caused the problems that led to Kuipers being dropped in the 1st place.

Christ...........he must be some manager then..................he can reverse lack of form:nono: :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports