Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Ian Wright (ex Palace and Arsenal, Brighton reject) reckoned Webster had his easiest game of the season cos Chelsea were shit, so of course he looked good. :wozza:

It’s always that they played badly & never that we played well. Such a boring mindset for these pundits to roll out rather than actually analyse our performance

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’d agree with this. When you’re trying to set up a tournament team where your priority is not to concede, a ball playing centre back isn’t high on your list.

Yep and Mings is so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else in his purely defensive abilities. You have to be something special as a manager to identify and develop such a talent.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
From the BBC Sport live text page last night
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59947190
messi.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep and Mings is so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else in his purely defensive abilities. You have to be something special as a manager to identify and develop such a talent.

Mings only played the first game at the Euros so all a bit of a nonsense any way really

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Can’t see it myself. Southgate has never heard of Webster and he already has Mings who he has identified as an international quality centre back…:wozza:

Webster was reportedly very close to being called up a couple of times in the last few years - injuries have put paid to that - and Southgate (and his team) have watched him multiple times.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
needs Dunks level of consistancy . He was magnificent last night but still has games where gives the ball away too much but when on it then as good as anyone.

At 27 then needs to have a sniff in there soon IMO

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s always that they played badly & never that we played well. Such a boring mindset for these pundits to roll out rather than actually analyse our performance

Listening to the radio on the way home last night, Alvin Martin and Jamie O'Hara were raving about how good we were to be fair..........and also raving about how good Potter must be.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ian Wright (ex Palace and Arsenal, Brighton reject) reckoned Webster had his easiest game of the season cos Chelsea were shit, so of course he looked good. :wozza:

I spilt my tea and shouted "say wha?!!!" when I he said that. An unbelievably stupid opinion, and I normally like Wright. Both he and Shearer seemed on halfasleep, just going through the motions mode last night.

Webster was majestic, his best game for us. However, while when he's good he's very, very good when he's off form/coming back from injury his passing can be awful, a liability. If he can be more consistent he can be the best English CB in the country. I can't believe at first I thought he was overrated and overpriced, apologies Adam.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I spilt my tea and shouted "say wha?!!!" when I he said that. An unbelievably stupid opinion, and I normally like Wright. Both he and Shearer seemed on halfasleep, just going through the motions mode last night.

Webster was majestic, his best game for us. However, while when he's good he's very, very good when he's off form/coming back from injury his passing can be awful, a liability. If he can be more consistent he can be the best English CB in the country. I can't believe at first I thought he was overrated and overpriced, apologies Adam.

Shearer unbelievably, given how good he was, how many great managers he worked under appears to have no grasp of tactics or reading of a game. He is stealing a living saying 'they worked harder'...'intensity'...'closing down'....or....'no desire'....'no closing down'....'not working hard enough'. That's it. That is his repertoire. He must see what other more enlightened pundits are looking at, perhaps he is so arrogant that he thinks all the public want to hear is whether he thinks a team wants it enough or not. How is it possible he's got no insight into the game he must love? Maybe he doesn't, I don't know.

Twice Webster dribbled through their entire team. Twice. How many CBs do you see doing that? Incredible what he adds to this team.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Shearer unbelievably, given how good he was, how many great managers he worked under appears to have no grasp of tactics or reading of a game. He is stealing a living saying 'they worked harder'...'intensity'...'closing down'....or....'no desire'....'no closing down'....'not working hard enough'. That's it. That is his repertoire. He must see what other more enlightened pundits are looking at, perhaps he is so arrogant that he thinks all the public want to hear is whether he thinks a team wants it enough or not. How is it possible he's got no insight into the game he must love? Maybe he doesn't, I don't know.

Twice Webster dribbled through their entire team. Twice. How many CBs do you see doing that? Incredible what he adds to this team.

Joe Cole showed Shearer how to do the pundit job properly last night on BT Sport. He had all the attributes you mention such as tactical knowledge and a genuine love of the game.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Once you realise and accept that Shearer is as thick as pigshit then he’s easier to listen to, I’d be surprised if his IQ was a lot higher than his old shirt number. Had he not been blessed with real talent at football he’d have been stacking shelves. How he is still a MOTD pundit is a mystery…… until I realised that the BBC seem to have decided to corner the market with this type of pundit, Micah Richards is another one. Gormless buffoon. None of them can be bothered to learn any detail about any club outside the top 6 except Everton and now Newcastle.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

'Unger, desire, passion.
'Unger, desire, passion.
'Unger, desire, passion.
'Unger, desire, passion.
'Unger, desire, passion.
'Unger, desire, passion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here