Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acid stomach / Omeprazole

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The doc told me that sedation was optional, but I think it took him about 3 seconds to realize I was not going to swallow that thing.

My GP told me that sedation was optional and that he'd had it "without" - and strongly recommended that I went for the sedated option (which I did, and didn't once regret it).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Omeprozole is cheap, I know that for a fact, but of course we are all different and thus react to medication differently, .....However I know of two others who like myself got a better reaction from the top priced Rabeprozole...after trying the other offerings.

But I ain't a doctor, my wife is a dispenser....that's where I get the pricing info.

Omeprazole is older and has been out of patent for over a decade. Rabeprazole is out of patent for less than a year. That's why one was cheaper than the other when you started on them, nothing to do with quality, manufacturing complexity or anything else.

As it is, mutli-unit pellet Omeprazole (Losec MUPS is the main brand here but there are generics of it too) is actually quite expensive to manufacture due to an relatively complicated packaging process.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Been there, done that. Had the flexible cystoscopy under local a couple of years ago, and yes, very "uncomfortable". Have since had "bigger" telescope things shoved up the todger - 6 ops under general, so didn't know anything about it. Next op is end of Feb. Have also have the endoscope, in fact, had endoscope and colonoscopy at the same time - a bit like body-flossing !

Dyno-Rod ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thanks everyone for the input. It's all well and good getting the official medical info from the doctors, but actual day-to-day practical experience from fellow sufferers is useful to know too.

For what it's worth, I've not thrown up today (yeah), and have had a cup of tea and some toast - the most I've eaten this week, so maybe the drugs are kicking in ... fingers crossed.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Thanks for all this, is really useful as I had a violent stomach upset, tempted to think caused by some "on offer" cooked chicken bits purchased late at night from Morrisons on Tuesday eaten Weds night.

Really felt weak yesterday, only had soup for an evening meal and after a decent kip feel better.

Am more concerned about the killer pancreatic cancer that took out Roger Lloyd-Pack at 69, my elder brother succumbed after 3 months at only 70. Steve Jobs fought it with all the medical technology money can buy, I think it bought him 15 months or so.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thanks for all this, is really useful as I had a violent stomach upset, tempted to think caused by some "on offer" cooked chicken bits purchased late at night from Morrisons on Tuesday eaten Weds night.

Really felt weak yesterday, only had soup for an evening meal and after a decent kip feel better.

Am more concerned about the killer pancreatic cancer that took out Roger Lloyd-Pack at 69, my elder brother succumbed after 3 months at only 70. Steve Jobs fought it with all the medical technology money can buy, I think it bought him 15 months or so.

I can only say to get it checked out properly then, if you're concerned. If you end up on tabs daily, it's no biggie really - I've just counted what I'm currently taking and it's up to 22 tabs a day now, not including pain killers - and if it is anything more sinister, you need to catch it as early as possible. Do not diagnose yourself through other peoples symptoms, but all the info above it useful background.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Apologies for bouncing this, but as I started it, I thought I'd bookend with the result.

After all the probs outlined earlier, yesterday I had an endoscopy to find out what's going on. Not a very pleasant thing to do - had the option of a sedative but I opted for the local spray only. I gagged quite a bit, but it's over pretty quickly. Anyway, seems I do have some acid reflux, but I also have a stomach ulcer, although that is healing already. The ulcer was responsible for the pain.

So, all explained and treatable with the tabs, and having had a look inside, I know there's nothing nasty going on. Good news reallly, and another life-experience, albeit not a nice one. End of.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Apologies for bouncing this, but as I started it, I thought I'd bookend with the result.

After all the probs outlined earlier, yesterday I had an endoscopy to find out what's going on. Not a very pleasant thing to do - had the option of a sedative but I opted for the local spray only. I gagged quite a bit, but it's over pretty quickly. Anyway, seems I do have some acid reflux, but I also have a stomach ulcer, although that is healing already. The ulcer was responsible for the pain.

So, all explained and treatable with the tabs, and having had a look inside, I know there's nothing nasty going on. Good news reallly, and another life-experience, albeit not a nice one. End of.

Even at my age, I still like stories with a happy ending....very pleased for you.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Thats fu*ked up mate, hope your ok now!

Ive taken Omepreazole for years as I have an acid reflux problem, Ive found it works great for me and is really effective, if I take it late or not at all Im in a right state my stomach and chest turns on fire and I bring up loads of bile (if thats how you spell it) and acid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here