Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acid stomach / Omeprazole

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've had very similar and found that COFFEE was one of the main causes. Have taken a lot of lanzoprazole in the past.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I've been taking Lansoprazole for a few years now, having been diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia in my early 30s. Same family of drug and I can say it has massivley improved my position. Before taking the drugs I'd struggle with reflux after eating a sandwich, whereas now if i behave i have no problems at all.

Beer and spicy foods still cause problems when trying to sleep at night, so I have a handy bottle of Gaviscon at the ready for the times I misbehave (also referred to as weekends!).

I have a good friend on Omerprazole and he swears by it. As long as no nasty side effects it should sort you out, particuarly after they work out appropriate daily dose.

I had the exact same problem, like you I have found Lanzoprazole has really helped.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Interesting, thanks. I must get some Gavescon - one medic did suggest it, but I tend to be sceptical about over the counter drugs (no real reason for that).

Gaviscon is suggested as a solution to quite a lot of different problems. I was told to use it when fluid on my lungs was irritating the lung causing me to constantly cough. I was told that it just suppresses everything it covers so whilst it doesn't provide a long term solution it gives a bit of relief (perhaps just an hour or so, or sometimes a bit longer) but that can be enough to give the body time to get itself sorted out.....until the next time!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Omeprazole is the cheap end of the anti acid market, its cheap for a reason, it doesn't work very well......I tried it, told the doctor it was no good, he tried me on two others.... cemetidene and something else, in the end Rabeprozole was the one that worked a treat, but they won't give it unless you ask......you are the customer, demand it......I reckon you will be sorted in two to three days.

This is wildly inaccurate. The reason there are multiple PPIs on the market is because some people have different reactions than others on them but it doesn't mean that omeprazole is in any way ineffective or 'cheap'

It and rabeprazole have extremely similar mechanisms of action anyway.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
They have tested me for hyper-pylori (sp?) but that result will take a while to come back - if that comes back positive, it can be treated.

Helicobacter Pylori, if you have it you'll be given esomeprazole (which is basically the same drug as omeprazole - its a specific enantiomer of the molecule) and two antibotics for two weeks generally.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Helicobacter Pylori, if you have it you'll be given esomeprazole (which is basically the same drug as omeprazole - its a specific enantiomer of the molecule) and two antibotics for two weeks generally.

I knew it was something like that :)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Anyone else take Omeprazole for problem with stomach acid ?

I've not been able to eat properly for 2 months now, lots of vomiting and pain - the pain was so bad on Tues I was rushed to Worthing A&E and put on morphine (quite nice really). The general consensus is that it's excess stomach acid problem, though they are going to do an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to make sure it's nothing else.

This is really debilitating, not wanting to do anything or eat - must have lost a shed load of weight.

So, the question is, does this omeprazole work eventually ? I've been told it may take a while.

Yes, it works for me i have been taking it for over 10 years. not as extreme as you, I just had constant heartburn and was eating rennies for fun.I had the endoscopy and was told I had a hiatus hernia. I have hardly had any heartburn since (unless if I forget to take it )

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Interesting, thanks. I must get some Gavescon - one medic did suggest it, but I tend to be sceptical about over the counter drugs (no real reason for that). I drink virtually no alcohol anyway these days, and I'm not allowed fruit juices due to kidney failure, and must avoid the spicy stuff. Currently eating almost nothing, and vomiting maybe once a day (I don't mind that, I always feel better afterwards). Just working myself up to having a cup of tea, to see hos that goes.

This is wildly inaccurate. The reason there are multiple PPIs on the market is because some people have different reactions than others on them but it doesn't mean that omeprazole is in any way ineffective or 'cheap'

It and rabeprazole have extremely similar mechanisms of action anyway.

Omeprozole is cheap, I know that for a fact, but of course we are all different and thus react to medication differently, .....However I know of two others who like myself got a better reaction from the top priced Rabeprozole...after trying the other offerings.

But I ain't a doctor, my wife is a dispenser....that's where I get the pricing info.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Omeprazole works for me but it doesn't for my better half. she has to use Ranitidine (zantac) and that works ok for her.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thanks. Everyone I've spoken to is fully aware of my long list of existing meds. I had IV omeprazole in A&E on Tues and between that and the morphine I felt pretty good. My GP says that everyone's different, but it could take up to 2 weeks for this to work properly. Will just have to see how it goes, I guess. Not a lot of fun though.

Best of luck mate. I was going to suggest lanzoprazole, but I assume it's the same stuff.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've been taking Lansoprazole for a few years now, having been diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia in my early 30s. Same family of drug and I can say it has massivley improved my position. Before taking the drugs I'd struggle with reflux after eating a sandwich, whereas now if i behave i have no problems at all.

Beer and spicy foods still cause problems when trying to sleep at night, so I have a handy bottle of Gaviscon at the ready for the times I misbehave (also referred to as weekends!).

I have a good friend on Omerprazole and he swears by it. As long as no nasty side effects it should sort you out, particuarly after they work out appropriate daily dose.

Yup - my doc put me on Lansoprazole a few years back, after an endoscope found I had a badly inflamed stomach. A few days later, I enjoyed a mexican dinner in Newquay for the first time in years; I was waiting for the 'payback' - but nothing happened! It was great.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was on Lameprazole(1) for years then changed to Omeprazole(2) and never had any sides with either
although I will say with the amount of drugs I take would it make the slightest difference, they say I have to take Omeprazole because I did take rather strong diclofenac and then Naproxen and don't now, but still have to take them because they have put me back on Aspirin

it never ends
a continual treadmill

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Omeprozole is cheap, I know that for a fact, but of course we are all different and thus react to medication differently, .....However I know of two others who like myself got a better reaction from the top priced Rabeprozole...after trying the other offerings.

But I ain't a doctor, my wife is a dispenser....that's where I get the pricing info.

Having waded through several papers on clinical trials of these drugs, it seems there is very little to choose between Rabeprozole. They reports a comparison of 58% and 61% reduced symptoms after 3 weeks, so pretty much identical, really. An NHS comparison also suggests that Rabeprozole is cheaper and on a limited license (though I would have thought that would make it more expensive, but there you go). Quote :

Based on current costs (for its licensed indications) rabeprazole offers a price advantage over the
other 3 proton pump inhibitors.
● Rabeprazole has a limited licence compared to omeprazole and lansoprazole.
● There is no clinical advantage to be gained by changing from an existing PPI to rabeprazole.

I can only assume "Offers a price advantage ..." must mean "cheaper".

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Having waded through several papers on clinical trials of these drugs, it seems there is very little to choose between Rabeprozole. They reports a comparison of 58% and 61% reduced symptoms after 3 weeks, so pretty much identical, really. An NHS comparison also suggests that Rabeprozole is cheaper and on a limited license (though I would have thought that would make it more expensive, but there you go). Quote :

Based on current costs (for its licensed indications) rabeprazole offers a price advantage over the
other 3 proton pump inhibitors.
● Rabeprazole has a limited licence compared to omeprazole and lansoprazole.
● There is no clinical advantage to be gained by changing from an existing PPI to rabeprazole.

I can only assume "Offers a price advantage ..." must mean "cheaper".

Well my surgery wrote to me three years ago to get me to change back to Omeprozole from Rabeprozole because they insisted there was virtually no clinical advantage ( I did tell them that one worked for me the other didn't)......and they mentioned it was available to the NHS at a more competitive price......... I just say it how I see it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I had exactly the same issue mid 20's to mid 30's and took Lansoprazole - the main symptom was food getting stuck when I swallowed it.

I found that ensuring I ate my evening meal early and gave up wine helped a lot. It eventually calmed down to the extent that I no longer take drugs for it. I do occasionally struggle eating cheese or bread - just can't swallow it easily but I always have a drink with food and the fridge always has an emergency can of Coke which removes any blockage ( has to be fat coke though - Diet Coke doesn't work ).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well my surgery wrote to me three years ago to get me to change back to Omeprozole from Rabeprozole because they insisted there was virtually no clinical advantage ( I did tell them that one worked for me the other didn't)......and they mentioned it was available to the NHS at a more competitive price......... I just say it how I see it.

It's a little odd that a doctor would go against a patients experience. I appreciate as it's probably based on little medical knowledge, it is essentially anecdotal evidence, but it can't be discounted. Presumably, if the omeprazole doesn't work, you're just going to end up back at the doctors with symptoms again, and he'll have to prescribe something that does work.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I've been on 20mg of Omeprazole for the last 5 years. Brilliant stuff.

I can even go a day without one now without fear of the reflux returning, but more than a day and the symptoms will return.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
For those of you who think Omeprazole is cheap - you can buy it over the counter at Pharmacies if you forget your own prescription, but a 12 blister pack will set you back a tenner.

regards

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's a little odd that a doctor would go against a patients experience. I appreciate as it's probably based on little medical knowledge, it is essentially anecdotal evidence, but it can't be discounted. Presumably, if the omeprazole doesn't work, you're just going to end up back at the doctors with symptoms again, and he'll have to prescribe something that does work.

Which indeed did happen.....been back on Rabeprozole.....all is calm with a 10mg pill with my morning cuppa.........I can even eat and drink what I like......and I do.....with only an ultra serious binge causing me to have a restless night......even whiskey and spicy food have no real affect..........I do exercise a lot though, which may also help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here