Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acid stomach / Omeprazole

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
For those of you who think Omeprazole is cheap - you can buy it over the counter at Pharmacies if you forget your own prescription, but a 12 blister pack will set you back a tenner.

regards

That's useful to know, but as I already have, I think, 10 current repeating prescriptions, I very much practiced in re-ordering my shed-load of drugs.

Incidentally, I assume anyone who needs to know would know, but I buy an annual pre-paid prescription card, and get all my scripts on that. It costs just over £100 a year, but it saves me about £400 a year from paying for each one.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Which indeed did happen.....been back on Rabeprozole.....all is calm with a 10mg pill with my morning cuppa.........I can even eat and drink what I like......and I do.....with only an ultra serious binge causing me to have a restless night......even whiskey and spicy food have no real affect..........I do exercise a lot though, which may also help.

That's good. We're all different and who knows what I may end up on, but I'll take it a step at a time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After that I felt sick after pretty much every meal for a few days. Got misdiagnosed a couple of times and finally a doctor figured out it was Gastritis (acid reflux disease). Basically the SPHINCTER between my "food pipe" (the word the doc used, so I'm going with it) and my stomach isn't working very well, so flecks of acid occasionally getinto my food pipe. Our stomach is the only part of our bodies conditioned to handle acid, so if it escapes to other parts it can be very painful and lead to nausea etc.

Following on from this post i have discovered that I have over 50 Sphincters ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I take it for acid reflux. Used to get terrible heartburn with anything too high in acid or too much booze. It's completely sorted me out and my Dr prescribes it in three month doses.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yes i'm on them and have been for a few years on and off. Can't remember the name of my problem but having an endoscope chucked down your throat has to be one of the most discomforting experiences.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Anyone else take Omeprazole for problem with stomach acid ?

I've not been able to eat properly for 2 months now, lots of vomiting and pain - the pain was so bad on Tues I was rushed to Worthing A&E and put on morphine (quite nice really). The general consensus is that it's excess stomach acid problem, though they are going to do an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to make sure it's nothing else.

This is really debilitating, not wanting to do anything or eat - must have lost a shed load of weight.

So, the question is, does this omeprazole work eventually ? I've been told it may take a while.

is it a steroid ..? if so it should work eventually...good luck ...!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes i'm on them and have been for a few years on and off. Can't remember the name of my problem but having an endoscope chucked down your throat has to be one of the most discomforting experiences.

it'snot as bad as the downstairs front entrance....???

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Had reflux for years and have always had to dose up with gaviscon etc before and after a night out. Unfortunately a boys' night out with lager and curry has always been my worst nightmare! Omeprazole has helped massively, although I still have to be careful.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
it'snot as bad as the downstairs front entrance....???

Been there, done that. Had the flexible cystoscopy under local a couple of years ago, and yes, very "uncomfortable". Have since had "bigger" telescope things shoved up the todger - 6 ops under general, so didn't know anything about it. Next op is end of Feb. Have also have the endoscope, in fact, had endoscope and colonoscopy at the same time - a bit like body-flossing !

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone else take Omeprazole for problem with stomach acid ?

I've not been able to eat properly for 2 months now, lots of vomiting and pain - the pain was so bad on Tues I was rushed to Worthing A&E and put on morphine (quite nice really). The general consensus is that it's excess stomach acid problem, though they are going to do an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to make sure it's nothing else.

This is really debilitating, not wanting to do anything or eat - must have lost a shed load of weight.

So, the question is, does this omeprazole work eventually ? I've been told it may take a while.

Been on omeprazole for about 18 years now and to be honest as long as I take them on a daily basis, have no problems with the acid. The endoscopy will find out if you have any ulcers which can be caused by excess stomach acid (I had 2 but they cleared up after a while on omeprazole). One thing to remember if you have a bout of excess acid taking an omeprazole will not be an instant cure, it actually prevents the acid from forming so you would have to take rennie or gavisgone for instant relief. Hope this helps.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Had three of them - when I had them you had the choice of sedation or a numbing spray - if they ever thought they would get THAT down my throat without sedation then they were on another planet !!! Sedation contains a drug to make you forget as well ...... my now ex-wife wasn't particularly pleased to be told that I'd tried to get rather .... well .... "friendly" with one of the nurses as I came to, but of course I couldn't remember it :wink:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Had three of them - when I had them you had the choice of sedation or a numbing spray - if they ever thought they would get THAT down my throat without sedation then they were on another planet !!! Sedation contains a drug to make you forget as well ...... my now ex-wife wasn't particularly pleased to be told that I'd tried to get rather .... well .... "friendly" with one of the nurses as I came to, but of course I couldn't remember it :wink:

The doc told me that sedation was optional, but I think it took him about 3 seconds to realize I was not going to swallow that thing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Been there, done that. Had the flexible cystoscopy under local a couple of years ago, and yes, very "uncomfortable". Have since had "bigger" telescope things shoved up the todger - 6 ops under general, so didn't know anything about it. Next op is end of Feb. Have also have the endoscope, in fact, had endoscope and colonoscopy at the same time - a bit like body-flossing !

ferking hell mate , i hope they can fix you up somehow......didn't mean to make light of your predicament , all the very best , Syd.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I choose to be awake so i could just carry on with my day. Going to think twice about that now if i have to go through that again.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Interesting it took so long to diagnose. For me, when I saw a GP in Nov, and I complained of bloating / pain / vomiting - it was the very first thing she suggested, and now having seen my GP he was exactly the same, as were the medics in A&E on Tues. As I said, they will do an endoscopy, but everyone seemed pretty happy this is the cause. I'm on 40mg at the mo until we can get it under control, but there is a possibility of taking a lower dose ongoing. They have tested me for hyper-pylori (sp?) but that result will take a while to come back - if that comes back positive, it can be treated.

I thought I had my share of medical problems while waiting for a kidney transplant, but it seems not. I'm certainly getting more than my share of NHS resources, though.

Make sure you get gaviscon advance as it is so much better. The omoprazole should work within a week and it is heaven when it does.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Just remembered the name of what i had - Hiatus hernia

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was on it for a while as I was getting acid reflux. Through trial and error I found the major culprit was caffeine and since switching to decaf coffee I've stopped taking omeprazole and no more heartburn. I still get bad breath if I eat and drink the wrong things though, so might go back to docs for some more; after reading all this, I realise it's not a bad thing long term, the reason I stopped.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Should work inside 48 hours. I've taken it for a long time. Check with your pharmacist and/or GP for interactions with other meds, though. Some of them need a specific acid/base environment in the stomach to be absorbed, and omeprazole can alter that in unintended ways.

Me too (what he said) ... I've been on two a dy for couple of years now. Seems to work for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here