Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] AC Milan New Ground

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is it really? The Amex has only ever been the Amex, but wasn't the San Siro the San Siro until the 1980s? And given that most people call it the San Siro, it's the San Siro right?

You'll find some people refer to our ground as Falmer.
Regarding Milan's stadium, the official name is Guissepi Meazza, people still refer to it as the San Siro which is fair enough, but it doesn't escape the fact that the Guissepi Meazza is named the Guissepi Meazza, meaning it is in fact the Guissepi Meazza stadium. Just relaying information I was told by a Milan supporting Italian whilst I was in Milan watching Milan play.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Me too, I was there for Inter v Juve, a game known as the Battle of Italy. Absolutely fantastic.

I was there for inter v chelsea, I also got put right on calling them inter Milan which is totally wrong apparently , I knew the name was Internatiozionale but thought that even Italians shortened it to inter Milan , which isn't the case.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The DEMISE of Milan is so DEPRESSING. I can probably only name about 4 of their players now without whereas around 2005/6 they had THIS.

Dida
Cafu, Maldini, Costacurta, Staam, Nesta
Rui Costa, Gattuso, Costacurta, Seedorf, Pirlo, Kaka, Ambrosini,
Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Gilardinho, Serginho

:lolol: What a team......and they didn't even win Serie A

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The DEMISE of Milan is so DEPRESSING. I can probably only name about 4 of their players now without whereas around 2005/6 they had THIS.

Dida
Cafu, Maldini, Costacurta, Staam, Nesta
Rui Costa, Gattuso, Costacurta, Seedorf, Pirlo, Kaka, Ambrosini,
Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Gilardinho, Serginho

:lolol: What a team......and they didn't even win Serie A

They won the Champions league that year did they not?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The stadium is called The Guissepi Meazza, the area it's located in is San Siro. It's like people referring to The Amex as Falmer.
It's not quite the same, people don't really refer to our ground as Falmer. They might say they're going to Falmer etc, but if you ask anyone what our ground's called, they'd say the Amex. I've never heard anyone refer to Milan's ground as The Guissepi Meazza. Do the Milan fans call their ground the San Siro, The Guissepi Meazza, or a bit of both?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The premier league will go the same way, it's only a matter of time
regards
DR

If the general football authorities continue to erode the typical British matchday , in favour of US style 'franchise' football experiences, killing the atmosphere with over zealous application of health and safety rules, pushing the prices sky high, moving the games to everything but a Saturday 3pm k/o,..... then yes, you are right.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's not quite the same, people don't really refer to our ground as Falmer. They might say they're going to Falmer etc, but if you ask anyone what our ground's called, they'd say the Amex. I've never heard anyone refer to Milan's ground as The Guissepi Meazza. Do the Milan fans call their ground the San Siro, The Guissepi Meazza, or a bit of both?
They call it the Guissepi Meazza, as that's what it's called. have you spoken to many Italiens about the name of Milan's stadium? All I know is I have, I fell foul of making the mistake of calling it the San Siro and I was corrected, but I'm sure because it's not something you were aware of it can't be correct.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They call it the Guissepi Meazza, as that's what it's called. have you spoken to many Italiens about the name of Milan's stadium?
No, I haven't spoken to any, which is why I asked.

All I know is I have, I fell foul of making the mistake of calling it the San Siro and I was corrected, but I'm sure because it's not something you were aware of it can't be correct.
Have you got out the wrong side of bed?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just for the hell of it, I checked out this AC Milan forum, they call it the San Siro - Well, on pages 1 and 2 and I couldn't be arsed to look any further.

http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?t=12650
Guissepi Meazza was/is an Inter legend, as such Inter fans refer to it by its correct name, AC fans will often refer to it as San Siro out of spite, despite that not being the correct name.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not at all.
Then why are you so grumpy? I never said it wasn't correct, I simply asked what the Milan fans called their stadium as I don't know. I did also suggest that it's not the same as with our stadium, which I expect is right, as I don't think people really call our stadium the Falmer, whereas a fair number of people do call Milan's stadium the Sans Siro.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regardless of what the old one is called, I think the new one looks shit. You'd think the Italians of all people would be able to design something more aesthetically pleasing than that. It looks like a shopping mall.

48,000 capacity as well. How the mighty have fallen.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Then why are you so grumpy? I never said it wasn't correct, I simply asked what the Milan fans called their stadium as I don't know. I did also suggest that it's not the same as with our stadium, which I expect is right, as I don't think people really call our stadium the Falmer, whereas a fair number of people do call Milan's stadium the Sans Siro.
I'm not sure I'm in a grumpy mood, but I appreciate your concern. Your question came across as though you were challenging what I'd posted, which is factual. I used Falmer and The Amex as an example, as it's also a stadium name and location like San Siro and Guissepi Meazza. I'm aware that a lot of people call it the San Siro, that's the very reason why I made the initial 'pedant' post about that actually being incorrect :shrug: I also added in that post that the stadium is officially called the Guissepi Meazza, it's all quite simple to grasp.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When that's made out of real world materials it is going to look like a giant set of multilink blocks. Those architectural renderings always make light come out of everywhere and very rarely show the stadium during the day.

Horrible. horrible design that.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Regardless of what the old one is called, I think the new one looks shit. You'd think the Italians of all people would be able to design something more aesthetically pleasing than that. It looks like a shopping mall.

48,000 capacity as well. How the mighty have fallen.

As I alluded to earlier, I think AC are following Juve's example of building a smaller stadium that will always be full and will always have a fantastic atmosphere. Juve's old ground, the Stadio Delle Alpi had almost a 70,000 capacity whilst their new stadium holds 41,000. They could have built far larger but intentionally kept it small for the reasons I've just stated. Whenever I watch a Juve game the crowd looks/sounds fantastic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I alluded to earlier, I think AC are following Juve's example of building a smaller stadium that will always be full and will always have a fantastic atmosphere. Juve's old ground, the Stadio Delle Alpi had almost a 70,000 capacity whilst their new stadium holds 41,000. They could have built far larger but intentionally kept it small for the reasons I've just stated. Whenever I watch a Juve game the crowd looks/sounds fantastic.

Sure, but its still a stark indication of a huge decline in the status of AC Milan, one of the biggest and most famous clubs in the world. A packed stadium is always preferable, but Milan having to downsize to a sub-50k stadium is still a bit of a shocker. It rubberstamps the fact that they cannot be considered one of the giants of world football any more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here