Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] About time we had one of these - a lovely smug schadenfreude thread

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's just a derelict mill town in the middle of nowhere, hardly a cosmopolitan sophisticated place.

An acquaintance, through classic car racing, is a minor shareholder, inherited from his father and has followed them since birth pretty much, they appear to be a well run club, not hugely dissimilar to us. Dyche is one of those characters who's ok on your side, a figure of hate on the other side. Not my kind of person. But does a job for them.

TBH I can't be bothered wasting much if any time 'hating' other clubs, but it is mildly amusing seeing people whinge badly about nothing. There's enough of it on here tbh!

This. As a club, and with Dyche, they're ok, but their fans are totally prejudiced and backwards

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chesterfield.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I was going to say "how spectacular their decline has been", but when I thought about it, all they've done is dropped a division or two in the time it's taken us to get from the fourth tier to the top. It's us who have made the giant leap since the days of battling against their illegal activities for the basement league title.

I see they're now at the bottom of the Bananarama National League, and have just sacked their most recent manager. I wonder if their fans look at the 2001 season (them at Saltergate, us at Withdean) and wonder how our respective paths went so far adrift? :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good thread.

A group of us did discuss that when we achieved promotion to the Premier League we should hire a limo and do a nationwide tour of the various rivals we'd had over the previous twenty or so years. We'd stand out of the sunroof (like Tom Hanks in Big) flicking the Vs and singing Albion songs z at the locals as we passed through the likes of Chesterfield, Reading and Leyton.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

That Reading Forum was a great read.. just sensing their hope ebb away as the season unfolded. I had forgotten how much I'd enjoyed the stuffing we gave them at the Amex..

el punal

My little schadenfreude moment occurred last night. As I was walking my Albion loving dog at about six o’clock I came across a Saints fan wearing a two sizes too small replica shirt. After enquiring who their opponents were - West Ham - I intimated that it could be a tough game. The Southampton lardy fan insisted that with Hasenhuttl on board it was going to be an easy three points. I confess that I informed twatty that I was a Brighton fan - “Well I suppose someone has to be” - came the condescending, arrogant reply. After informing him that we were seven points above the greatest south coast club ever we went our separate ways.

Imagine my unconfined joy when I heard that West Ham, who I don’t particularly like either, had tonked the Super Saints 2-1. So their short lived unbeaten run to a top six finish halted in a most jarring fashion. Hallelujah! :drink:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Been yelled at in the face in Middlesbrough town centre, danced in front of and been homophobically abused outside St Mary’s and been called an effing loser while walking back to the car after we lost to Massive.

Loving this thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good thread.

A group of us did discuss that when we achieved promotion to the Premier League we should hire a limo and do a nationwide tour of the various rivals we'd had over the previous twenty or so years. We'd stand out of the sunroof (like Tom Hanks in Big) flicking the Vs and singing Albion songs z at the locals as we passed through the likes of Chesterfield, Reading and Leyton.

https://youtu.be/jGQQuaVL0R0

Bozza’s Urban Sports.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh my God. Read the first ten (at least) pages of this "our rivals' results" thread from HNA. Retro joy.

It truly makes for a most satisfying read, especially their joy at our loss to Huddersfield and the eager anticipation of our "annual promotion bottling" (which was never true anyway).

Lovely stuff :lolol:

http://www.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135488&sid=694b588c728bc4e7a57fb492b09b0036

(of course: these days, they're worrying about results from Ipswich and Rotherham, not Brighton, Leeds and Huddersfield) :lol:

I read on to page 17 of that thread. They detest Liam Rosenior. It is vile.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Been yelled at in the face in Middlesbrough town centre, danced in front of and been homophobically abused outside St Mary’s and been called an effing loser while walking back to the car after we lost to Massive.

Loving this thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In a similar vein, whilst walking back through Falmer Station, I've been accused, in front of my two sons who were at the time about 11 and 9, of being a paedophile and of various sexual acts that I had vested upon them. That's Millwall for you.:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not a club I utterly detest by any means, but it has been an absolute delight peeking in on the oatcake as they collectively rip Gary Rowett a new one (as well as former Albion keeper Mark Cartwright it seems).

To be fair, Stoke have been absolutely gash under Rowett. I'm still chuckling at the fact they spent £5.5m on James McClean and another £10 (TEN) million on perennial overrated Championship stalwart Tom Ince. :lolol:

What the fck were they expecting?

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/board/2/stoke-city-fc

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
In a similar vein, whilst walking back through Falmer Station, I've been accused, in front of my two sons who were at the time about 11 and 9, of being a paedophile and of various sexual acts that I had vested upon them. That's Millwall for you.:nono:

Does anyone have a copy of that photo at the Den with Millwall fans bending over and pointing to their arses just above the prostate cancer awareness hoarding?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A quick PERUSAL of the Championship table shows Reading are now FIVE points from safety.

Lovely stuff.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not a club I utterly detest by any means, but it has been an absolute delight peeking in on the oatcake as they collectively rip Gary Rowett a new one (as well as former Albion keeper Mark Cartwright it seems).

To be fair, Stoke have been absolutely gash under Rowett. I'm still chuckling at the fact they spent £5.5m on James McClean and another £10 (TEN) million on perennial overrated Championship stalwart Tom Ince. :lolol:

I remember really wishing we'd sign Tom Ince a few years ago.

The shame; the dirty, unforgivable shame of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm upset with the Championship table at the moment. Leeds, Norwich and Boro all in the top 6. Very disappointing.
On the other hand, Derby are in their accustomed position just ready to hilariously fck it all up again, Aston Villa are nowhere near the top 6 despite spending the GDP of Belgium on players, and Ipswich fans are getting what they deserve after hounding out a limited manager who did his best on a shoestring. Then as [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] says, there is Reading. Fcking two bob Reading. None of the usual smug threads on their particularly crap forum I should imagine. I hope they sell Liam Moore to a Championship team next season for about £2m. :lolol:

And just picture how sweet it'll be if West Brom and Sheff Utd snaffle the top 2 positions, with Forest then beating Derby at Wembley and Reading going down with Ipswich and perhaps Bolton - I think that would add up to a perfect Championship season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That thread started in Sept - he'd only been there for about half a dozen games by then. Nothing like giving a man a chance.

Sounds like a toxic environment there: they gave Hughes dog's abuse and now giving Rowett even more - can't exactly see it as an attractive place for a manager to want to go to ... unless they were desperate.

Calling Alan Pardew ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And just picture how sweet it'll be if West Brom and Sheff Utd snaffle the top 2 positions, with Forest then beating Derby at Wembley and Reading going down with Ipswich and perhaps Bolton - I think that would add up to a perfect Championship season.

No, Massive going down with Reading and Ipswich, with the Blades going up would be the perfect Championship season

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That thread started in Sept - he'd only been there for about half a dozen games by then. Nothing like giving a man a chance.

Sounds like a toxic environment there: they gave Hughes dog's abuse and now giving Rowett even more - can't exactly see it as an attractive place for a manager to want to go to ... unless they were desperate.

Calling Alan Pardew ...

To be fair, that's quite restrained for Stoke fans. When Hughes was appointed they were calling for his head before he'd even been there for ONE game.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/403582/Stoke-fans-protest-over-prospect-of-Mark-Hughes-becoming-manager

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weird isn't it, when one considers a few of the 'rivalries' that have briefly flared up?

Cheaterfraud? I remember going up there on the train for a game. Hateful place. If that crooked spire were anywhere south of Milton Keynes it would have been condemned and demolished as an embarrassing eyesore decades ago. Watching them disappear behind me through my metaphorical rear view mirror has been one of several things that can be relied upon to give me a warm feeling all over whenever I indulge in a bit of Albion retrospectroscopy. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here