Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly's Second Goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
VAR will often cause that doubt and cause conflicted feelings if we do score. We have yet to have the other side of it when a goal is chalked off for the other team but that won't make up for not being able to fully celebrate some goals. The days of a nervous glance at the lino followed by ecstasy may have gone for good. And I find that sad.
The days of that happening for every goal are gone, but we're still going to get goals which are clearly not offside (or handled), and we'll be able to celebrate those straight away. It's not what it was, but it's not all bad.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not his first for me though. :down: I would make a useless lino but we aren't paid to watch the line. I wasn't far off being in line and because he was ahead of the defenders when he had the first shot, I was convinced he was off. VAR will often cause that doubt and cause conflicted feelings if we do score. We have yet to have the other side of it when a goal is chalked off for the other team but that won't make up for not being able to fully celebrate some goals. The days of a nervous glance at the lino followed by ecstasy may have gone for good. And I find that sad.
I didn't much celebrate the first two goals as I was unsure about var, however at least the 3rd was obviously fine.

var is still crap.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I celebrated from the moment the ball left his foot, great angle of it all from WSL.

Yep me too, I was right behind the trajectory of it from my seat in WSL. I turned to my friend Simon next to me after l had finished celebrating, and said, that was a thing of beauty.

Two days later having viewed it countless times, l have absolutely no reason to change my mind.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The goal reminded me in many ways of those that Kaz LuaLua used to score, cutting in from the left wing, onto his right foot, then BANG! The trouble is he didn't score enough of them.

Izzy too is a bit like that, he scores even less though. :down:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Was vaguely disappointed this morning when Sky TV were running one of their dopey polls for the Premier League goal of the weekend - fully expecting that Connolly's 2nd would be amongst them - with Longstaff against United, Traore against City etc etc. Didn't even appear on the list - either the little club bias, or their production are blind or lazy. Shame, I thought it was a super goal - and I also had the good fortune to be sitting right in the eyeline of what happened.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
And a point I made in the pub yesterday, why does everyone focus on how crap Spurs were, rather than how good we were?

This is probably one of the greatest goals in the stadium's history?

Was talking about that this morning. You're right.

Much of the media has a poor attitude towards the lesser mortals.

It's almost as if it's a directive from above as most viewers are gloryhunting, sofa-inhabiting subscription payers.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The second goal was beautiful and obviously pleasing on the eye, but the first was the one that actually excites me more. We need a centre forward who gets between the centre backs and feeds on half chances. That movement and initial flick for the first goal was a thing of beauty which was ruined by a very good save by the keeper. Proper fox in the box.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Was talking about that this morning. You're right.

Much of the media has a poor attitude towards the lesser mortals.

It's almost as if it's a directive from above as most viewers are gloryhunting, sofa-inhabiting subscription payers.
Goals on Sunday on sky had Gareth Barry as guest. They made a point of saying that they would only talk about how good Brighton were and not focus on boring old spurs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The second goal was beautiful and obviously pleasing on the eye, but the first was the one that actually excites me more. We need a centre forward who gets between the centre backs and feeds on half chances. That movement and initial flick for the first goal was a thing of beauty which was ruined by a very good save by the keeper. Proper fox in the box.

You are not alone with that thought on this thread!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

It was a routine save, but you're right the movement was brilliant. What's wonderful is the prevailing wisdom that has come out of the club and from this board as long as I can remember is that backpost target man is the only valid type of forward. Now there's a sudden realisation, that not only can you play one striker with pace and movement, you can even play two

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Was vaguely disappointed this morning when Sky TV were running one of their dopey polls for the Premier League goal of the weekend - fully expecting that Connolly's 2nd would be amongst them - with Longstaff against United, Traore against City etc etc. Didn't even appear on the list - either the little club bias, or their production are blind or lazy. Shame, I thought it was a super goal - and I also had the good fortune to be sitting right in the eyeline of what happened.

Don’t be silly, youth turned out for the massive Newcastle and scored on his debut!:ffsparr:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
His second goal was excellent - but such goals are relatively commonplace. Knocky got one last year, and I'm pretty sure there was a similar one on MOTD on Saturday. His first goal, however, that was world class - the instinctive back-heel (complete improvisation, and brilliant) followed by lightning reactions (those of a class striker) to get first to the rebound. Sheer instinct, pure class.

Two good goals - but the first was definitely the better of the two.

I was going to post this. The first goal is the one that has convinced me he will score lots at this level. I don't see many strikers getting anything out of that scenario.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I celebrated from the moment the ball left his foot, great angle of it all from WSL.

I think he may be being factious.....

To be fair, as I have always said, I rarely celebrate a goal till I can see it has been given. But, like you, I knew there was nothing to worry about with that one. As [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] jolly well knows, the tinker. :cheery:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m wary of going OTT here but..... Connelly reminds me of Michael Owen at a similar age.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Let's hope he can stay out of the bookies, and has hamstrings that aren't made of cheese strings.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was in WSU in a perfect angle with the ball, soon as it left his foot i started to rise and then straight out of my chair with a number of expletives (sorry to those around me) praising the whole brilliance of the move. Some may say hopeful ball over the top, more informed people will call it as it was a brilliant pass to pick out our forward who then had a bit to do. To their credit MOTD were full of praise especially Shearer who also thought the pass was brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here