Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly's Second Goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some may say hopeful ball over the top, more informed people will call it as it was a brilliant pass to pick out our forward who then had a bit to do. To their credit MOTD were full of praise especially Shearer who also thought the pass was brilliant.
It was brilliant, but he can only play passes like that when we're 2 nil up. Be nice if he could do it when we really need it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I've been watching Brighton since 95/96 and I have to say Connolly's 2nd is up there with my favourite ever Brighton goals.

It marks the beginning of the new era.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've been watching Brighton since 95/96 and I have to say Connolly's 2nd is up there with my favourite ever Brighton goals.

It marks the beginning of the new era.
No it doesn't....

.....................his first goal on the other hand .........................................................

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
No it doesn't....

.....................his first goal on the other hand .........................................................

Why doesn't it?

His first goal would've been saved had it not been for the deflection. To say the first goal was the best is in translation someone trying to claim they saw something no one else could see..........which they clearly haven't.

His 2nd goal was done perfectly.

The pass, the guile on the ball, the confidence to show a world class defender the ball and then turn him the other way, and then the technically brilliant strike of the ball which flew exactly where it had to go leaving the keeper with no chance.

The nation (not including Spurs or Palace) would've been loving that goal on Motd

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why doesn't it?

His first goal would've been saved had it not been for the deflection. To say the first goal was the best is in translation someone trying to claim they saw something no one else could see..........which they clearly haven't.

Read all the thread - something you clearly haven't! The reasons why it doesn't have been set out several times, and not just by me. I do not need to repeat here what I and others have said on here before.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The reasons why it doesn't have been set out several times, and not just by me.
Personally I don't think it's an open and shut case. In the first he showed that he has a goalscorers instinct and desire. It did actually take a deflection, but I won't dwell on that. And the second showed he has pace, skill and belief, with another sprinkling of desire. Together they suggest he'll have a career of scoring both the taps ins and individual goals. Happy days.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was going to post this. The first goal is the one that has convinced me he will score lots at this level. I don't see many strikers getting anything out of that scenario.

It was outstanding - a completely instinctive flick that was unlucky to hit the keeper, then lightning reactions and brilliant awareness to slot the loose ball home. The second goal was just a thing of beauty - as well as turning Alderwierweld absolutely inside out, what I noticed was how hard he hit the curling shot - he didn't gently curl it, he properly lashed it. To do that, still get the curl and hit his target just inside the post was exceptional. Shearer was positively GUSHING with praise for the lad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I don't think it's an open and shut case. In the first he showed that he has a goalscorers instinct and desire. It did actually take a deflection, but I won't dwell on that. And the second showed he has pace, skill and belief, with another sprinkling of desire. Together they suggest he'll have a career of scoring both the taps ins and individual goals. Happy days.
Both goals were good goals, the second one looking more spectacular - but nothing out of the ordinary. Cutting inside and curling the ball inside the far post - such goals, if not exactly ten a penny re fairly routine - there'll be one similar to it on MOTD most weeks; Knocky scored one for us last season.
The first goal on the other hand, al improvisation and speed of reaction, was an out and out class strikers goal (as Michael Owen recognised).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The second goal was beautiful and obviously pleasing on the eye, but the first was the one that actually excites me more. We need a centre forward who gets between the centre backs and feeds on half chances. That movement and initial flick for the first goal was a thing of beauty which was ruined by a very good save by the keeper. Proper fox in the box.

Exactly the way I see it. He gets his body in front of the defender and knocks the ball beyond, and then is first to react to the rebound. It's classic predator stuff. Shows a natural goalscorer imo.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep me too, I was right behind the trajectory of it from my seat in WSL. I turned to my friend Simon next to me after l had finished celebrating, and said, that was a thing of beauty.

Two days later having viewed it countless times, l have absolutely no reason to change my mind.

I too was in the West Stand and behind the trajectory of the ball. It was simply magnificent to watch, and researching it has not dimmed it.

My brother sitting next to me is normally reserved in his celebrations. He was jumping around.

On researching it, though, I also very much appreciate his first goal. The initial flick was clever and the reaction to the save was very impressive.

Given that his nearly goal against the Toon was again completely different, he can not be dismissed as a one trick pony, as someone did somewhere else

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I too was in the West Stand and behind the trajectory of the ball. It was simply magnificent to watch, and researching it has not dimmed it.

My brother sitting next to me is normally reserved in his celebrations. He was jumping around.

On researching it, though, I also very much appreciate his first goal. The initial flick was clever and the reaction to the save was very impressive.

Given that his nearly goal against the Toon was again completely different, he can not be dismissed as a one trick pony, as someone did somewhere else

Researching

source.gif

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both goals were good goals, the second one looking more spectacular - but nothing out of the ordinary. Cutting inside and curling the ball inside the far post - such goals, if not exactly ten a penny re fairly routine - there'll be one similar to it on MOTD most weeks; Knocky scored one for us last season.
The cutting inside and curling inside the far post side are indeed quite common, but it's a lot less common to see the player start his angled run in the first half, control the ball at speed and dribble it at speed before the rest. It's something most of us didn't know he could do at this level. I agree about his first goal, it's equally important that he has that poachers instinct.

I'm not sure I can be bothered to work if one skill is more important to us than the other.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
WTF is this "the 2nd goal was more spectacular but the 1st goal was better" shite?

I'm suspecting people with this view either never played football (or were shit at it) or they like the emperors new cloak?

The 2nd goal was hit with venom. He couldn't have hit that sweeter. He put all his weight into his right foot, kept his head over the ball and hit it. No curl or swerve, a straight line bullet shot controlled brilliantly.

Beautiful and technically very difficult.

Anyone claiming it was just spectacular hasn't got a clue. Shooting from 25 yards, in some sort direction towards goal where the ball moves a million times in the air before flying into the goal, is what you'd say is spectacular without much control and skill required. You see players right down all the levels scoring goals like that. But to put Commolly's 2nd in the same brackets is just laughable. What's the matter with some people? and to then claim a deflected goal which came from a rebound was the better of the 2 goals is just plain stupid with a hint of trying to see stuff no one else can, something the idiot, dull as mole pundits go for to try and make up for their their average/ didn't live up to it footballing careers.

People, if some knobhead like Owen is trying to tell you the 1st goal was better, remember that these freak show football pundits need to say something to get noticed. Mersin does it all the time. Do t listen to them and judge by what you know of the game from your playing time. Playing professionally means nothing in terms of your ability to read the game. The most successful professional football manager in the U.K. in terms of trophy wins was someone who never came close to playing football professionally.

In the words of Einstein "Think for yourself"

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
WTF is this "the 2nd goal was more spectacular but the 1st goal was better" shite?

I'm suspecting people with this view either never played football (or were shit at it) or they like the emperors new cloak?

The 2nd goal was hit with venom. He couldn't have hit that sweeter. He put all his weight into his right foot, kept his head over the ball and hit it. No curl or swerve, a straight line bullet shot controlled brilliantly.

Beautiful and technically very difficult.

Anyone claiming it was just spectacular hasn't got a clue. Shooting from 25 yards, in some sort direction towards goal where the ball moves a million times in the air before flying into the goal, is what you'd say is spectacular without much control and skill required. You see players right down all the levels scoring goals like that. But to put Commolly's 2nd in the same brackets is just laughable. What's the matter with some people? and to then claim a deflected goal which came from a rebound was the better of the 2 goals is just plain stupid with a hint of trying to see stuff no one else can, something the idiot, dull as mole pundits go for to try and make up for their their average/ didn't live up to it footballing careers.

People, if some knobhead like Owen is trying to tell you the 1st goal was better, remember that these freak show football pundits need to say something to get noticed. Mersin does it all the time. Do t listen to them and judge by what you know of the game from your playing time. Playing professionally means nothing in terms of your ability to read the game. The most successful manager in terms of trophy win the UK's footballing history never came close to playing professionally.

ROI manager Mick McCarthy said it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

.........and just when we were starting to miss Spence!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here