Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - Premier League 2 Player of the Season

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I would be telling him to put in 100% effort and concentrate on his football career because a player the same age from the Swiss second division is currently getting picked before him.

Indeed. Many on here saying he’s a 21 year old kid so we need to be understanding, and to some extent thats true, but he is trying to be an elite sportsman. Time as an elite sportsman is so short compared to other careers and, well, 21 is not that young in that peer group. If you want it you have to dedicate yourself to it. And part of being an elite sportsman is putting yourself in the window and the public will form opinions on your sporting talent, has always been the case. We all know when someone crosses the line on commenting on players, not sure I've seen much of that on NSC on Connolly, the general theme is he needs a loan in the Championship to get more time and some goals. And thats where I’m at. I saw him in the U23s, he was brilliant, and he’s shown the odd glimpse in the EPL but its the toughest league in the world and he’s in the toughest position on the field as a striker in a bottom 6 team. Tough gig. I would love him to succeed, and i think that means a break elsewhere for a year. #teamconnolly #uta

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I believe that the education of the younger players falls on the club.
Out of the thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of young lads who dream of playing football for a living, only a few achieve it even fewer get to play at the elite level. Young players should be educated in lessons in both accepting failure and how to handle success.
That said he would have more game time if he demonstrated to the manager during training that he is too good to be left out of the match day team/squad this includes both playing and attitude toward training and accepting you do not get there by right..
Like many on here I wish him well in accepting his privileged position and his future playing career either with the Albion or elsewhere.

I think he had an incredible breakthough in that Spurs game and it raised expectations stupidly. He was pushed into becoming one of our front line options because of our failure in the transfer market, he should have been doing the hard yards in the Championship working on his craft. I think he's been badly served by the club in that regard and we must now show a bit of patience, for me his pace and movement still makes him an interesting player but we need to develop him properly, in and out of the team while getting just limited time hasn't worked, so let's try something else

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He needs to drop down a level or two and prove he can play regularly, score regularly and give 100% every time.

I keep thinking of David Bentley had a couple of good games and got a big move, thought he was Billy Big Bollox and threw it all away and Connolly is no where near as good as Bentley was!

But Bentley was 27 or so when he went off the rails.

Connolly is still only 21.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I dunno... thats more of a league to send the billyarces and janmlakars. Championship or Belgium would probably be better.

SPL is more physical than the Belgian league (and most other European leagues) would be a good test for him. Championship would probably be a bit better though - it depends on who we can find that will give him the game time he needs.
TBH, even League 1 wouldn't be that bad - it might hurt his ego a bit, but the object of the exercise is to get him game time and getting his goal-scoring mojo working again.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
SPL is more physical than the Belgian league (and most other European leagues) would be a good test for him. Championship would probably be a bit better though - it depends on who we can find that will give him the game time he needs.
TBH, even League 1 wouldn't be that bad - it might hurt his ego a bit, but the object of the exercise is to get him game time and getting his goal-scoring mojo working again.

The Belgian league might not be as physical (Im not sure tbh) but it is a lot better.

League One would be fine. Anything but the joke that is the Scottish league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here