[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Scored 8 league goals for Hull in the first half of the season and then barely got on the pitch in the second half. Wonder what went wrong.
As I said, he was injured for some of the time. Maybe he decided to heal his injuries by going to music festivals again? That worked last time :lolol:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Unfortunately another negative for Aaron - and one a great many of us saw coming. Talented and promising footballers can sometimes not progress for so many reasons - injuries killing their pace/confidence, lack of discipline/ambition/professionalism, personal demons/depression/addiction…

And we’ve seen some who get too much too soon. Teenagers signing million pound contracts without the maturity or desire to earn them. Without the right grounding and dedication to keep improving, they can actually regress.

A fear a bit for Aaron now, he was somewhat Liam Rosenior’s boy, and after a bright start it’s all gone a bit wrong for him again.

League one next, I suspect, and perhaps a bit of a reality check for Aaron and his “people” (yes - he has “people” - I swear. I’ve seen it. Embarrassing).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately another negative for Aaron - and one a great many of us saw coming. Talented and promising footballers can sometimes not progress for so many reasons - injuries killing their pace/confidence, lack of discipline/ambition/professionalism, personal demons/depression/addiction…

And we’ve seen some who get too much too soon. Teenagers signing million pound contracts without the maturity or desire to earn them. Without the right grounding and dedication to keep improving, they can actually regress.

A fear a bit for Aaron now, he was somewhat Liam Rosenior’s boy, and after a bright start it’s all gone a bit wrong for him again.

League one next, I suspect, and perhaps a bit of a reality check for Aaron and his “people” (yes - he has “people” - I swear. I’ve seen it. Embarrassing).
To be fair he suffered quite a bad injury from the Norwich goal keeper didn’t he , and Hull have a plethora of striking options including the lad on loan from Liverpool. Liam R has only been playing 1 striker so was always going to be tricky for Aaron to get back in the squad especially as they are on a good run

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To be fair he suffered quite a bad injury from the Norwich goal keeper didn’t he , and Hull have a plethora of striking options including the lad on loan from Liverpool. Liam R has only been playing 1 striker so was always going to be tricky for Aaron to get back in the squad especially as they are on a good run
He did you’re absolutely right, his replacements have done well effectively keeping him out of the squad, but still that kind of shows where he’s at just now. I.e not being picked for far from one of the top sides in the second tier, even on the bench when fit and available.

Again, not meaning to shit too much on Aaron despite my misgivings about his conduct off the pitch. Just being pragmatic. Realistically, maybe someone like Sunderland in the Champ or Birmingham in League One.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He did you’re absolutely right, his replacements have done well effectively keeping him out of the squad, but still that kind of shows where he’s at just now. I.e not being picked for far from one of the top sides in the second tier, even on the bench when fit and available.

Again, not meaning to shit too much on Aaron despite my misgivings about his conduct off the pitch. Just being pragmatic. Realistically, maybe someone like Sunderland in the Champ or Birmingham in League One.
But also look at the other players Hull had - I’d say Liam actually ‘failed’ given the position they were in, the calibre of loan players they had particularly in attack so was always going to be tough. I’d guess he was on big money given the 1 year deal and they’ve decided to move on. But I think up until his injury Aaron was their joint top scorer

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But also look at the other players Hull had - I’d say Liam actually ‘failed’ given the position they were in, the calibre of loan players they had particularly in attack so was always going to be tough. I’d guess he was on big money given the 1 year deal and they’ve decided to move on. But I think up until his injury Aaron was their joint top scorer
I’ll be honest, I’ve only seen a couple of Hull City games this season on telly! But we all know how hard the Championship is. I think we can both agree Connolly’s next move is huge for the direction of his career.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

James Wilson fitted that according to an article I read by a previous coach of his at United

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
James Wilson fitted that according to an article I read by a previous coach of his at United
This is quite possible. I actually posted about James a few months ago - he notably once threw up on the pitch before a game at the Amex and has done so several times with other clubs. His nerves are said to be a big issue, unfortunately.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is quite possible. I actually posted about James a few months ago - he notably once threw up on the pitch before a game at the Amex and has done so several times with other clubs. His nerves are said to be a big issue, unfortunately.
Lingard was another. Rashford looks like that sometimes. And the common denominator is…. ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If it's right that he has been released by Hull, then his career looks to be on a downward path. He has talent, so he could make a comeback, of course, but it would take three or four seasons and a lot of hard work!
Still, a quick Google suggests an average wage of about £4K a week in League 1 and maybe £2K a week in League 2. He's what now - 22? 23? Another 10 years on either of those won't exactly see him on queer street, will it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Shock.

Another step on the road to banging the goals in for Galway United.

I still think the Albion have some blame in this. I don’t think he was handled well at all, and he should definitely have had a Championship loan before being thrown in at the deep end and given a big contract. I hope we’ve learn from it. I think we have.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Shock.

I still think the Albion have some blame in this. I don’t think he was handled well at all, and he should definitely have had a Championship loan before being thrown in at the deep end and given a big contract. I hope we’ve learn from it. I think we have.
He went on loan to Luton the season before the Spurs game but injury prevented him from making no more than 2 appearances

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lingard was another. Rashford looks like that sometimes. And the common denominator is…. ?
Blimey. Aaron, Wilson, Lingard and Rashford are all....what exactly do you think?

The first thing that comes to my mind is .... they are all completely different :shrug:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shock.

Really? I don't. My impression is the club provides a high level of player care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports