[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who can seriously put their hand on their heart and say that they haven't suffered from some ex, who was great in bed but then turned out to be a complete psycho, turning up pissed outside their front door in the early hours when they were young and stupid ?

Just me then :blush:

I used to think we were going to be together forever too :(:love:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wow.

What a load of absolute bullshit.

How many more incidents do their need to be with this guy before you admit he IS much worse than any other player with his off field antics?

Why would I "admit" he is "worse" than anyone because his "incidents" (sleeping with a woman, telling his ex or gf that he didnt want her to be on Love Island, and now getting screamed at)? I give a shit about what he does, not how many times he appears in the papers. And as I see it all these incidents are very, very minor things.

You are a complete psycho as seen in the match thread about Swansea where you gave him shit for cupping his ears against the Swansea fans that had been mocking him the whole game. You are obsessed with bashing this young man, and you are not the only one taking every opportunity to do it. As I've said before it is completely sickening and tells a whole ****ing lot about how useless you and some others are as human beings.

**** you, and **** the whole lot of you determined to hate a person because he didnt live up to your expectations as a footballer. You make me sick.

(might get banned for this, dont care, feel free, pretty much every sensible person on NSC already had enough and left, so)

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why would I "admit" he is "worse" than anyone because his "incidents" (sleeping with a woman, telling his ex or gf that he didnt want her to be on Love Island, and now getting screamed at)? I give a shit about what he does, not how many times he appears in the papers. And as I see it all these incidents are very, very minor things.

You are a complete psycho as seen in the match thread about Swansea where you gave him shit for cupping his ears against the Swansea fans that had been mocking him the whole game. You are obsessed with bashing this young man, and you are not the only one taking every opportunity to do it. As I've said before it is completely sickening and tells a whole ****ing lot about how useless you and some others are as human beings.

**** you, and **** the whole lot of you determined to hate a person because he didnt live up to your expectations as a footballer. You make me sick.

Jesus. I think that's possibly the best rant anyone has ever had at me on here. Well done.

Unlike a lot of posters on here, I've always liked most of your posts, and think you speak a lot of sense most of the time. But taking the above post on its own, I'm not sure the word 'psycho' is being aimed at the right person here.

I'm sure there is help available if you need it mate.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

(might get banned for this, dont care, feel free, pretty much every sensible person on NSC already had enough and left, so)

You appear pretty angry today.

Are you OK ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Nope, we're all still here :thumbsup:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

I sympathise a lot with your feelings about this, and your willingness to defend this young man against some spiteful posting by a few silly old chaps on social media is admirable. Whether or not AC is a bit of a daft tit off the field is beside the point, and I wouldn't want to judge him on some tabloid press reports. But you have to remember that it's always a noisy minority who are desperate to make themselves and their opinions heard. However your furious reaction seems to paint all BHA supporters as small minded and spiteful. They're not, most are sensible and fair minded and while possibly a little frustrated and bored by repeated bad press surrounding AC, they tend not to indulge in the playground finger pointing.

Or maybe I'm wrong, perhaps we're all ***** and as you say players CAN'T WAIT to get away from here.

Calm down, and try not to make sweeping generalisations about large groups of people, I didn't think that was your style.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wow.

What a load of absolute bullshit.

How many more incidents do their need to be with this guy before you admit he IS much worse than any other player with his off field antics?
Agree the OP is a pile of bullshit - but poor as his off-field publicity is, MUCH worse than ANY other player is a tad harsh. Poor choice of WAG though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

"Tremendous internet rant" or not this sort of abuse really isn't on IMO. However, being as you and I have clashed swords on a number of occasions I've suggested another mod decide any consequences and I'll leave it there for now. I will say if you carry on like that I should think an infraction or short ban will be absolutely inevitable so please take this as (genuinely) friendly advice to chill out a bit.

If you've got problems reach out to fix them, don't lash out as you'll just cause yourself more grief.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No Albion fan wishes Aaron Connolly any ill, but I suspect many are disappointed at the lack of progress made by a player who seemed to have heaps of potential.

Yes, he's young and his story is far from over, but he's no longer a teenager.

And there clearly is a perception problem with his overall image, because he seems to make more headlines in the front half of a newspaper than the back half. If he was banging in the goals in the Premier League much of that would be brushed over, but as he's not it gets greater scrutiny.

Many people will put 2 (he doesn't seem to be playing that well) and 2 (he seems to be in one controversy after another) and come up with 5, when these things may be completely unrelated. It doesn't help how people perceive him though.

It's in all our interests for Connolly to thrive as it means he'll either be a success at the Albion or being sold on for big bucks to fund further investment in the squad, but right now there's little indication that will happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I sympathise a lot with your feelings about this, and your willingness to defend this young man against some spiteful posting by a few silly old chaps on social media is admirable. Whether or not AC is a bit of a daft tit off the field is beside the point, and I wouldn't want to judge him on some tabloid press reports. But you have to remember that it's always a noisy minority who are desperate to make themselves and their opinions heard. However your furious reaction seems to paint all BHA supporters as small minded and spiteful. They're not, most are sensible and fair minded and while possibly a little frustrated and bored by repeated bad press surrounding AC, they tend not to indulge in the playground finger pointing.

Or maybe I'm wrong, perhaps we're all ***** and as you say players CAN'T WAIT to get away from here.

Calm down, and try not to make sweeping generalisations about large groups of people, I didn't think that was your style.

Excellent post this. [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] take note

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And you wonder why Dan Burn couldnt wait to get away from the Amex or why none of the key players show any interest in renewing their contracts and why the players are obviously happier playing away than at home...

Whilst I appreciate that your post was written as a righteously angry response to the scapegoating of Connolly, this part is reactionary, ill thought out and very easily dismantled:

You know for a fact that Dan Burn said that he was very happy at Brighton. He would only have left for the childhood dream he was offered;

Like the rest of us, you have no knowledge of any contract renewal discussions. Barber always plays these extremely close to his chest. However, we don't and won't pay anywhere near the largest wages in the division. Players wanting to move would have far more to do with money and opportunity, than with a lack of contentment at Brighton. Every player interviewed says the absolute opposite of what you suggest. It's a happy camp. Graham Potter makes sure of that;

Had you been in the ground for any of the home games you would have noticed a repeat pattern of the team and crowd both starting positively, but falling off the cliff when the early promise gives way to a goal being conceded against the run of play.

The home results are not about the player's contentment, but have obviously been because Graham Potter hasn't worked out a solution to most away team's rope-a dope tactics. I like him, but he is all about working towards improvement and he would be the first to admit that this includes him too. Blaming the crowd for the team's failings is a ludicrous sop. I suspect you know this and may want to retract what you wrote.

I'm all for your angry defence in the face of a few poster's obsession with Connolly's private life, but you had no reason to widen your argument to just generally abusing the support. I think that if you are honest with yourself, you know full well that your argument was written in anger and has no basis in fact.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No Albion fan wishes Aaron Connolly any ill, .

I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm actually not convinced this is completely true (ie of ALL Albion fans).

Everyone is frustrated at his lack of progression.

Some are fed up of the lad.

A few do seem genuinely to revel in his perceived failures. Which is a shame for all concerned.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
While the young lad has made some poor decisions in his off-field activities (and obviously that is his own fault and he has to be responsible for it) the club also have to share some of the blame (IMHO of course).

I think he should have been sent out on loan two (or even one) season ago, probably to League 1 or 2, to recover the knack of scoring for fun that he had in PL2. Even in January, a loan to a promotion chasing Championship side was probably a level too high - a goal scoring spree in League 1 or even League 2 would probably have done him more good tha getting pelters from Middlebrough fans (and hardly scoring).

He was once, after all, PL2 player of the season - and although yoof football isn't the same as playing in the PL, you don't get that award for being rubbish!

Ben White may not be the dickhead that Connolly sometimes seems to be, but I wonder if his career would have taken off as it did if we'd just kept him here, sitting on the bench and getting the odd cameo? If only we'd sent young Aaron out on the Ben White route! (and just for the record, I'm not saying this in hindsight - there are posts from me on this subject going back a long way!)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Are you alright?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

FBEmCyeVQAETiet.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While the young lad has made some poor decisions in his off-field activities (and obviously that is his own fault and he has to be responsible for it) the club also have to share some of the blame (IMHO of course).

I think he should have been sent out on loan two (or even one) season ago, probably to League 1 or 2, to recover the knack of scoring for fun that he had in PL2. Even in January, a loan to a promotion chasing Championship side was probably a level too high - a goal scoring spree in League 1 or even League 2 would probably have done him more good tha getting pelters from Middlebrough fans (and hardly scoring).

He was once, after all, PL2 player of the season - and although yoof football isn't the same as playing in the PL, you don't get that award for being rubbish!

Ben White may not be the dickhead that Connolly sometimes seems to be, but I wonder if his career would have taken off as it did if we'd just kept him here, sitting on the bench and getting the odd cameo? If only we'd sent young Aaron out on the Ben White route! (and just for the record, I'm not saying this in hindsight - there are posts from me on this subject going back a long way!)

Wasn't he loaned out to Luton a few years ago, but seem to recall he was injured and didn't play much.

Interesting comparison to Ben White, but White had about 83 central defenders in front on him, whereas we have been short of strikers for years, and therefore there was a greater opportunity for Connolly to gain playing minute by staying here.

With talk of Welbeck staying another season plus other strikers coming back from loans, I don't see Connolly staying with the Albion but hopefully he can adapt wherever he goes and doesn't waste his talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports