Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
While the young lad has made some poor decisions in his off-field activities (and obviously that is his own fault and he has to be responsible for it) the club also have to share some of the blame (IMHO of course).

I think he should have been sent out on loan two (or even one) season ago, probably to League 1 or 2, to recover the knack of scoring for fun that he had in PL2. Even in January, a loan to a promotion chasing Championship side was probably a level too high - a goal scoring spree in League 1 or even League 2 would probably have done him more good tha getting pelters from Middlebrough fans (and hardly scoring).

The rumour, two summers ago, was that AC refused a loan move out. It seemed the sensible option to everyone at the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't he loaned out to Luton a few years ago, but seem to recall he was injured and didn't play much.

Correct. He made just two sub appearances for Luton, playing a total of 24 minutes.

Which was enough for one of the posters on the Boro site to claim that "he was talking to Luton fans who said they'd had him on loan, and he was crap'.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm actually not convinced this is completely true (ie of ALL Albion fans).

Everyone is frustrated at his lack of progression.

Some are fed up of the lad.

A few do seem genuinely to revel in his perceived failures. Which is a shame for all concerned.

I'd 2nd this. I hope he comes back and scores 20 goals a season and all that. I would say though, that I've not found an Albion player so unlikeable since Leon Knight. We've had some right old pony up front since then - Barn door Billy, Akpom and Obika (now plying his trade at Morecambe in case you were interested) to name 3 off the top of my head - but they've all just been piss poor. Aaron seems to have all the talent in the world but an ability to self destruct with it and was given more than enough chances to mend his ways before he ended up at Grimsdale upon Tyne.

The Gary Hart's of this world who made it on limited talent and exceptional hard work have never had a hard time, it's always the ones who are perceived - rightly or wrongly - to have wasted it that get the backs of the fans up. Whether it's jealousy or whatever, there are a minority of fans out there who are almost willing him to fail but there are also a number of the more moderate fans who struggle to like him like me. His PR has been awful.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd 2nd this. I hope he comes back and scores 20 goals a season and all that. I would say though, that I've not found an Albion player so unlikeable since Leon Knight. We've had some right old pony up front since then - Barn door Billy, Akpom and Obika (now plying his trade at Morecambe in case you were interested) to name 3 off the top of my head - but they've all just been piss poor. Aaron seems to have all the talent in the world but an ability to self destruct with it and was given more than enough chances to mend his was before he ended up at Grimsdale upon Tyne.

The Gary Hart's of this world who made it on limited talent and exceptional hard work have never had a hard time, it's always the ones who are perceived - rightly or wrongly - to have wasted it that get the backs of the fans up. Whether it's jealousy or whatever, there are a minority of fans out there who are almost willing him to fail but there are also a number of the more moderate fans who struggle to like him like me. His PR has been awful.

Exactly this, well said :clap2:

I would also say in response to Swanny that most English fans would, I think, have more connection with Gary Hart than anyone being paid five figures a week. I have a Spurs supporting mate who now lives in Hove but has a ST there and always watches them on telly when not there. He loves the club but whenever we discuss them he ends up ranting about Dier, a player who took to the stands to confront an abuser and yet is still very happy to draw an enormous wage from the club.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Agree the OP is a pile of bullshit - but poor as his off-field publicity is, MUCH worse than ANY other player is a tad harsh. Poor choice of WAG though.

Which other players do we currently have that you would say he isn't much worse than?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't he loaned out to Luton a few years ago, but seem to recall he was injured and didn't play much.

Interesting comparison to Ben White, but White had about 83 central defenders in front on him, whereas we have been short of strikers for years, and therefore there was a greater opportunity for Connolly to gain playing minute by staying here.

With talk of Welbeck staying another season plus other strikers coming back from loans, I don't see Connolly staying with the Albion but hopefully he can adapt wherever he goes and doesn't waste his talent.

Played twice at Luton (according to Wiki) - due to injury, as you say.

What happens next? - much depends on when his contract is up, I guess. My preference would be for a lower level loan - either he then recaptures his mojo and comes back to score lots of goals for us, or he (and we) just have to accept he is a lower league professional footballer and we'll have to get what we can for him and he'll have to play for the wages on offer.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The rumour, two summers ago, was that AC refused a loan move out. It seemed the sensible option to everyone at the time.

It did seem a good option - briefly, after the Spurs game. By the end of the season (and probably earlier) I was definately of the opinion (and stated it on here) that he should be sent out on loan - whether he liked it or not!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I would say though, that I've not found an Albion player so unlikeable since Leon Knight.

From Fawlty Towers:

Hamilton : What I'm suggesting is that this place is the... the crummiest, shoddiest, worst-run hotel in the whole of Western Europe.

Major Gowen : No! No, I won't have that! There's a place in Eastbourne.

In my mind I replaced Eastbourne with Kemy Agustein.

Connolly's just young and a bit chopsy. Maupay would be exactly the same if he wasn't getting into the team. He moans, but then so did Knocky. He's desperate to succeed and reacts emotionally to knock backs. However, he has never not tried when playing for us. If you've never met him, there really is nothing to dislike other than media guff and the fact that he hasn't kicked on as we all hoped he would after the goals against Spurs. He's probably just as disgruntled about both of these things as you are.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think he was ever that good - he had 1 great game at this level, some promising performances - and it didn't help him being Irelands #1 striker (without goal) for so long. Huge amount of pressure on a 21/22 year old lad who was not ready for either level. Given any of our players - even those who score 20+ goals in the Championship - struggle to get into double figures, then expecting a young lad to get to that level is a hell of a step. But we build young players up beyond their capabilities, it is what we have always done.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If he was good then he would be forgiven pretty much anything (as others are) but as one Boro fan wrote, what does he bring to the table other than falling over for free kicks?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
From Fawlty Towers:

Hamilton : What I'm suggesting is that this place is the... the crummiest, shoddiest, worst-run hotel in the whole of Western Europe.

Major Gowen : No! No, I won't have that! There's a place in Eastbourne.

In my mind I replaced Eastbourne with Kemy Agustein.

Connolly's just young and a bit chopsy. Maupay would be exactly the same if he wasn't getting into the team. He moans, but then so did Knocky. He's desperate to succeed and reacts emotionally to knock backs. However, he has never not tried when playing for us. If you've never met him, there really is nothing to dislike other than media guff and the fact that he hasn't kicked on as we all hoped he would after the goals against Spurs. He's probably just as disgruntled about both of these things as you are.

Maupay spends his spare time reading books, doesn't he? Not acting like a dick in Shoosh. I don't think he'd be anything like Connolly. Knockaert was also a bit of a knob, but he did the business on the pitch for us, which is a large part of the Connolly problem and why people get more frustrated with him than others with similar off-field antics (although I genuinely cannot think of any player we have that seems to spend more time on the front pages than the back).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maupay spends his spare time reading books, doesn't he? Not acting like a dick in Shoosh. I don't think he'd be anything like Connolly. Knockaert was also a bit of a knob, but he did the business on the pitch for us, which is a large part of the Connolly problem and why people get more frustrated with him than others with similar off-field antics (although I genuinely cannot think of any player we have that seems to spend more time on the front pages than the back).

But why is that? Do you really think the tabloids are fishing around for stories? Or is someone close to him, or the venues he frequents flogging the stories?

There is practically nothing in these stories that is actually 'wrong' apart from young man in a night club

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which other players do we currently have that you would say he isn't much worse than?

Oh do pay attention! Neither you nor I specified one of our players. And yes, he may well be worse than most players, but to say he is 'much worse than any player' is saying that he is the worst player of aall - which he patently isn't. Adam Johnson and Tyrrell Robinson for example, both jailed for sexual activity with an underage girl, and (OK, allegedly, but nonetheless currently remanded in custody) Benjamin Mendy and Mason Greenwood.

Connolly MUCH worse than ANY other player? Give it a rest!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But why is that? Do you really think the tabloids are fishing around for stories? Or is someone close to him, or the venues he frequents flogging the stories?

There is practically nothing in these stories that is actually 'wrong' apart from young man in a night club

I don't know, but I guess it's the 'no smoke without fire' thing. I work with a lot of young people who frequent these places and genuinely have never heard anything other than 'he's a total dick' from them. I don't hear that about other players.

Oh do pay attention! Neither you nor I specified one of our players. And yes, he may well be worse than most players, but to say he is 'much worse than any player' is saying that he is the worst player of aall - which he patently isn't. Adam Johnson and Tyrrell Robinson for example, both jailed for sexual activity with an underage girl, and (OK, allegedly, but nonetheless currently remanded in custody) Benjamin Mendy and Mason Greenwood.

Connolly MUCH worse than ANY other player? Give it a rest!

In which case it's my fault- I meant any of OUR players. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, he's obviously not as bad as some!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Why would I "admit" he is "worse" than anyone because his "incidents" (sleeping with a woman, telling his ex or gf that he didnt want her to be on Love Island, and now getting screamed at)? I give a shit about what he does, not how many times he appears in the papers. And as I see it all these incidents are very, very minor things.

You are a complete psycho as seen in the match thread about Swansea where you gave him shit for cupping his ears against the Swansea fans that had been mocking him the whole game. You are obsessed with bashing this young man, and you are not the only one taking every opportunity to do it. As I've said before it is completely sickening and tells a whole ****ing lot about how useless you and some others are as human beings.

**** you, and **** the whole lot of you determined to hate a person because he didnt live up to your expectations as a footballer. You make me sick.

(might get banned for this, dont care, feel free, pretty much every sensible person on NSC already had enough and left, so)

Is this the start of a flounce?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this the start of a flounce?

An enforced flounce I expect.

It's what happens if you insist on pissing in your swimming pool.

Especially when it isn't actually your own swimming pool :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't know, but I guess it's the 'no smoke without fire' thing. I work with a lot of young people who frequent these places and genuinely have never heard anything other than 'he's a total dick' from them. I don't hear that about other players.

In which case it's my fault- I meant any of OUR players. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, he's obviously not as bad as some!

Why is he a total dick though? And why do the security of Shoosh keep letting him in if he’s a known troublemaker ?

I don’t recall seeing off the field stuff when he’s up on Teeside ? And yes he’s an idiot for keep putting himself in the way of trouble which seems to happen at the same place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here